Code p1693 - Page 4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltronics View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbob View Post
I would. If it is the alternator you would be wasting your money buying a new apps. As said before, make sure your cables are good and terminals are clean. My biggest complaint/problem with 2nd gen trucks is that minor wiring issues (slightly dirty grounds is a big one) can cause all kinds of problems that usually end up being caused by a corroded terminal somewhere.
This is what my batteries are at with the truck not started and the terminals clean when the truck is running the volts are a little over 14
Battery level with the truck on

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3747D88-D7F7-485C-BB70-D6A3977457C4_1567798460074.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	855953  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Diesel Head

I'd buy a good digital volt/ohm meter (Harbor Freight has a very nice one for less than $25 that you can check your alternator AC voltage too) and do the overnight check.

'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. Jammer 100's, 62-65-.70A/R WG, adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs Take time to turn-so you don't burn
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
I'd buy a good digital volt/ohm meter (Harbor Freight has a very nice one for less than $25 that you can check your alternator AC voltage too) and do the overnight check.
I checked the batteries with a good volt meter and the batteries both overnight checked out at 12.6v not running I’ve been at college for a week so the truck has just been sitting came back today checked the batteries they are good but the light is still on I’m thinking it is the apps sensor and also thinking of buying a timbo one I think it’s called
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,323 Posts
That volt meter on dash does not show battery voltage when running. It shows alt charging rate only and that's fine for DC but does not address any AC or not. I forgot, what is your original drivability issue and is it still happening?

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
That volt meter on dash does not show battery voltage when running. It shows alt charging rate only and that's fine for DC but does not address any AC or not. I forgot, what is your original drivability issue and is it still happening?
Original issue is the check engine light will come on throw an apps low voltage code will occasionally have dead pedal. Sometimes the code clears itself and truck goes back to normal but this past week the code has came back had my mechanic clear the code and it came back on the next day and also gave me dead pedal three different times in about 20 minutes
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Diesel Head

bigfish95971 reported a much better APPS than anything else......I just forget. It's available at some local chain type auto parts stores.

'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. Jammer 100's, 62-65-.70A/R WG, adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs Take time to turn-so you don't burn
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
bigfish95971 reported a much better APPS than anything else......I just forget. It's available at some local chain type auto parts stores.
So I shouldn’t have bought timbos apps and if it’s throwing the low voltage code and my batteries and alternator check out will replacing with a new one fix my problem most likely
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Diesel Head

It's a long shot but when I get a dead pedal, I disconnect the APPS wiring
connector to the truck wiring then reconnect.
I found a discolored pin in that connector a few years ago and
connected/disconnected/reconnected to try to get a better connection.

Now, reset the "TPS" Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor/APPS;
Disconnect the negative cables on both batteries for a while, reconnnect, turn the keyswitch ON, slowly floor the throttle, slowly release, turn the keyswitch Off.
Now start and test ride.
The APPS Reset is sometimes necessary after changing the batteries.

post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
It's a long shot but when I get a dead pedal, I disconnect the APPS wiring
connector to the truck wiring then reconnect.
I found a discolored pin in that connector a few years ago and
connected/disconnected/reconnected to try to get a better connection.

Now, reset the "TPS" Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor/APPS;
Disconnect the negative cables on both batteries for a while, reconnnect, turn the keyswitch ON, slowly floor the throttle, slowly release, turn the keyswitch Off.
Now start and test ride.
The APPS Reset is sometimes necessary after changing the batteries.
I’ll have to do that Friday I reset the apps once and it seemed to do nothing so I’ll have to disconnect the original apps and reconnect and reset before I try the Timbo apps
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:08 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,323 Posts
If batteries and alt are all good bad connections are usually the problem. A bad APPS can be the problem but not usually. The Timbo is a problem sometimes but not usually for LOW Voltage. It is actually a problem wiht too HIGH of idle voltage casueing the ECM to think you are accelerating and surge the throttle not dead pedal. Definitely clean all related terminals and connections and do the APPS reset, it can never hurt. if done right.
Disconnect batteries and leave key on for 30 min to overnight.
Key to off.
Reconnect batteries after cleaning to metal to perfect metal connection.
turn key to ON three times leaving on the third time.
Slowly depress the pedal to full throttle and release slowly one time.
Turn key off and then start.

Both input and idle or throttle voltage can be tested by probing the apps plug and checking with key to on. Idle and throttle are on output Pin #3. Check schematic for input pin #.

All trucks should be 5 volts apps input and about .48 to 529v at idle voltage running or just key to ON. It should graduate smoothly to about 4 volts at WOT. The Timbo has a preset non adjustable idle voltage of about .64 volts(too High) causing the surging problem. Factory and other apps are adjustable with the torx screws and rotation on the back, not at the throttle stop screws, the stop is just a throttle resting place to eliminate slack in cables. but dead pedal(low voltage) These voltages can be monitored by running a jumper wires to the cab and a voltmeter while running to test the apps.

Do that to eliminate apps issues.
I believe ECM provides the 5 volts to the apps and monitors its signals and relays them to the VP44. The idle in the VP is separate from the throttle acceleration is why it will idle but gets dead pedal.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
If batteries and alt are all good bad connections are usually the problem. A bad APPS can be the problem but not usually. The Timbo is a problem sometimes but not usually for LOW Voltage. It is actually a problem wiht too HIGH of idle voltage casueing the ECM to think you are accelerating and surge the throttle not dead pedal. Definitely clean all related terminals and connections and do the APPS reset, it can never hurt. if done right.
Key to off.

Both input and idle or throttle voltage can be tested by probing the apps plug and checking with key to on. Idle and throttle are on output Pin #3. Check schematic for input pin #.

All trucks should be 5 volts apps input and about .48 to 529v at idle voltage running or just key to ON. It should graduate smoothly to about 4 volts at WOT. The Timbo has a preset non adjustable idle voltage of about .64 volts(too High) causing the surging problem. Factory and other apps are adjustable with the torx screws and rotation on the back, not at the throttle stop screws, the stop is just a throttle resting place to eliminate slack in cables. but dead pedal(low voltage) These voltages can be monitored by running a jumper wires to the cab and a voltmeter while running to test the apps.

I believe ECM provides the 5 volts to the apps and monitors its signals and relays them to the VP44. The idle in the VP is separate from the throttle acceleration is why it will idle but gets dead pedal.
I’ll do more tests Saturday and see what happens. As regards to the timbo apps should I just try and return it since you think it’s not my apps causing a low voltage problem
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Key to off.

I’m very new to all of this found a schematic for the apps plugs tested it and got this number with the truck in the on position
Also when I tested the resistance I don’t know if I did it right I took the plug in the previous picture put the paper clip in pin 4 and measures the resistance with ohms and got .5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6B4C311-224A-4A08-8498-A7EBBCA2B100_1568403045220.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	856459  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode