Non-dodge 5.9l vp44 identification halp needed - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Non-dodge 5.9l vp44 identification halp needed

Didn’t know where else to post this, but here goes:

I have a 2002 Ford F-650. It came stock with the 5.9l diesel and a six speed manual trans, Eaton fuller I think but not sure. This is a bone stock truck, came from the factory like this. No it’s not a swap and not a custom install. It’s a dump truck with drw.

Anyway; been having driveability issues: randomly this beast will cut out and lose all power. No rhyme or reason. Could be at start up, during ride 20 min in, after shut down and cool off etc. when I say it loses power I literally can’t go over 12 mph. The engine sounds quiet, but turbo still spoils albeit softly. I have it floored constantly downshifting, slowly coming to 12mph. If going up a steep grade it will damn near cut out and stall. A month ago the lift pump died. I had it replaced with a stock one. Got the truck back and still having issues. Was told Ip more than likely died when the lift pump went out.

Today I pulled the vp44 pump out. What a pain in the . For all you dodge guys laughing I have an air compressor that is in the way of the fuel inlet and return lines so you can’t take them out until dead last when the pump is loose you can rotate it and get them out by basically bending the return line slightly to allow pump to move back. Anyway, the stupid return line rubbed off the last two digits of the bosch number and I have no idea how to figure out which vp44 I have. I have found 15x, 16x, 17x etc when I search for replacements. How can I identify this thing?? Lucky for me the plate on the timing cover with all the motor info is m.i.a. So I don’t know what hp the mother f—er even is. I know with a dodge you can tell by the eighth digit of vin which will be a 6 or a 7, mines a ford and eitghth digit is a f——ing letter G. Uggggh! Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:37 PM
custom user title

So there is only 2 different vp44’s

Stock output and high output

They mount up and will work the same. The high output has different timing and possibly a tad more fueling.

Dont stress too much over it, I would say to get the high output as that was what was on my buddys drw 02 dodge with stick.

My single wheel 2000 auto came with stock output

2000 4x4
Built Auto
phatshaft 62 over s475
DOR steering+suspension
P pump swapped

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:34 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,367 Times in 1,299 Posts
That is not true. But many are interchangeable. Dodge has at least 4 and there are several others in various applications world wide, boats, generators fords etc.
Try the Vin number at a Medium duty Ford dealer. They should be able to give you a build sheet for the truck with some details. Engine serial number may work even with a missing digit or two. VP serial OR model number should work. Can you pull codes with a scan tool?
You can also try taking it to a commercial Diesel Injection shop like Valley Injection or Industrial injection.
Does yours have the Crank position sensor beside the starter?
Have you checked for boost leaks? Changed Filters?
Where are You?

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

I’m in western Massachusetts
crank sensors near starter: I have no idea.
I changed both the fuel filter and air filter. A week later is when the lift pump died.
Boost leaks: I don’t know. From what I can tell you is when it’s running good this thing is a beast and has plenty of power. It’s registered at 26000 lbs and I’ve regularly put 32500 lbs and it goes with no problem. When it does the no power thing it’s a total dog. Problem is ford never can seem to figure anything out cuz it’s a Cummins engine and Cummins always tells me to call ford. Like they’re pointing the finger at each other drives me nuts. I don’t know a whole lot on the history of this truck, bought it at an auction. It has a little over 61k on it. The vp44 I took out did say reman on it, the bracket on the bottom was unbolted and the fuel line holders to the engine were missing so I’m assuming that the pump has been changed before. I can snap a pic tomorrow of what’s left of the numbers on the pump Id plate and post it. Maybe that’ll help Id this thing. I need this truck back it’s one of my company’s fleet trucks and it’s also my biggest. All my other trucks are one ton dumps.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,367 Times in 1,299 Posts
Couple of things, You need to talk to a Ford MEDIUM truck dealer, not the average dealer down the street. You need VIN number for truck. Cummins can help but they REQUIRE the engine serial number or they do not know how the engine was built and set up.
That Medium Ford Dealer likely can get you the serial number from their internal build sheet.
The reason I ask about if it has a Crank sensor on the block next to the starter Would tell me if it is maybe the same setup a Dodge for that year. Also look at the engine ECM on the block and get the Cummins part number off of the ECM, another thing we can match up. Can you or Ford pull codes with a scan tool? Plug would be under dash just like pickups and cars, but I do not know what scan tools work.

Google Diesel injection shops near you for those with Bosch equipment for rebuild. Maybe quicker and cheaper than mail order or parts store.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:12 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,080 Posts
There is an ID plate on the VP which should have some stamped numbers on it. Take a picture of it...
And there is a flat computer on the top with a bunch of numbers and bar code on the side. Take a picture of that too...

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Forum not letting me post pics. Keeps saying upload of file failed.

Barcode on engine side of pump: 000000141925

Outer side of pump:
Line 1: 929 in an oval 582 01419
Line 2: 09864440??
Line 3: 04705??025
Line 4: 011 in an oval Bosch symbol and “Bosch”
Line 5: ”remanf” in USA

That’s all I can read. ? Is the numbers too rubbed off to read. Can’t see any numbers on ecu due to engine being painted black before I got the truck.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Oh and no engine lights or codes are thrown when it is acting up, and nothing stored for codes either
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:42 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,080 Posts
With those numbers, call up a few injection shops or some injection pump vendors who are known for quality reman VP's. They should be able to decode it for you. The 047..... numbers are the Bosch part number. The 01419 is, I believe, the pump serial number. Clearly yours is a remanufactured pump too. Whether or not the PSG (computer) was new when the VP was replaced, I cant tell. You definitely want a new PSG when getting a reman VP.

But all that said, hopefully you checked the voltage of your APPS before tearing things apart because what you described doesnt sound injection pump issues. Rather it sounds like the erratic readings of a throttle position sensor or a lack of fuel pressure.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:04 PM
custom user title

Just wanted to apologize for the wrong information I posted earlier.
Sorry about that
KATOOM likes this.

2000 4x4
Built Auto
phatshaft 62 over s475
DOR steering+suspension
P pump swapped

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Well with this not being a dodge, there is no apps. There was litterly nothing there on those three bolt holes nearest the timing cover. I think I found a replacement pump and it’s a 16x. I appreciate all the help guys. I’m gonna call the ford commercial dealership tomorrow now that they’ll be open just to confirm before I order anything. Again thanks everyone who put in input.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Just saw I had a typo in my numbers posted earlier; the 047 number of line 3 is actually 04705??029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode