Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Erratic idle, now dead

807 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  cumminswhat? 
#1 ·
Guys, brand new engine install, first real drive, as I coast to slow down the rpm became very erratic, bouncing between 400 and about 1400. The it died. I started it, it was fine for a min, then as I slow down again, same thing happens, and it does again. This time it won’t start. I coasted just barely off the road, and I get nothing when I turn the key to start. Dash lights come on and it looks good, but no crank. Not even a click. Any ideas for me.

Truck is: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. 5.9L 24 valve cummins. New (rebuilt) long block, compounds, big injectors, quad programmer, and all supporting mods for this level of setup.

Need help. Thanks.

#2 ·
Bad batteries, cables or alternator(or both) or short in them. It takes about 10+ volts to run and 12.5 to start. Should be 12.6+ tested separately after charge and sitting overnight (or do good load test) Should be charging 14v when running. Always test batteries disconnected and separately, and replace both if one is bad.

#3 ·
Both batteries are new as of a few days ago, though I will test them as they have been in the truck for those few days.

I plan on pulling the alternator and starter to have them both tested.

What would be causing the surging though. After driving for a few mins at highway speed, as soon as I clutch, the engine is no longer under load, it starts surging. At first it was small, fluctuating from about 600-1000. Then it progressively gets worse, surging so high and then so low that it dies. What would cause an engine to do that? Could my quadzilla adrenaline have something to do with that? I haven’t done any tuning at all, and was only running it on the lowest level.

#4 ·
Dropping to 400 and dying would not be starter related. So it is not your problem. Could be the main starter cable or another or dead batteries. No click and no start could be starter contacts but dying while running rules that out. It has to be otherwise electrical. Start checking and testing. Either there is no power to get there or there is no(or low) power going through components like key, ECM etc. Actually the most likely is dirty terminals or loose connections on terminals or block. If batteries are dead, low but not bad after charge it is the alt shorted out or main fuse.

#7 ·
post your tune settings, or jump or the m1073m website, post the issue there along with your tune setup.

#8 ·
Is the Check Engine light on?

Do you know your lift pump fuel pressure?

#9 ·
No check engine light.

I haven’t messed around with tunes at all. Honestly I haven’t gotten too smart on the tuner part of this setup yet. I’m just using the basic ones that it came with. I’ve really only tried it in 0,1,2. Same result in all.

For fuel pressure, the app says like 45 psi. I’m not sure that’s even possible. I plugged the adrenaline harness into the inline pressure sensor I was using when I had an edge chip. So either they aren’t compatible, or it’s really got 40 something psi. It’s an Airdog 100.

#10 ·
Was thinking maybe bad or going bad APPS. Did the reset and also monitored voltage via wire taping #3 wire while I drove around the block. Voltage is good. When I let off the accelerator pedal, voltage goes back to idle (about .590v). It stays there as the rpm starts to jump up and down. So I’ve ruled that out I think...

I’m considering pulling the quadzilla. I assume I can’t just unplug that sucker right? I would need to plug the truck wiring harness back to stock? It’s been a long time since it’s been stock. Can anyone give me a quick overview on what I should be doing here...

Also, it’s worth noting I’m running DAP VCO 7x012’s. I’m not sure what’s the consequence of large injectors without the programmer to regulate things. Any inputs there?

#12 ·
I’m going to replace the cam and crank sensors too. I know I need to pull the starter to get the crank sensor, and the cam sensor is kinda behind the vp44. It looks like a pain to get to. Will I need to pull anything to get at it or is it possible to get behind stuff and pull it?

#14 ·
Stayed up late and changed out the cam position sensor. I forgot I ordered one like a year and a half ago from Geno’s. I thought to myself, when I get to building this engine I’ll put a new can sensor in since they are such a pain to get to. Well I forgot when I assembled the engine a year later... that is one heck of a job changing that thing.

Well, all that to say it didn’t fix the issue. Still surging, same as that video I posted.

As of now I’ve done the following:
New APPS
New Cam Sensor
New batteries
New ground cables (body, frame and engine- to both batteries)
Tried removing the quad to make sure it wasn’t causing any issues
Tightened all fuel lines

I’ll try the crank position sensor tomorrow...

But other than that, what else can y’all think of. There’s just a bit of urgency at this point as I have to move in 6 days (military PCS) and pull my 30’ trailer to accomplish this move. I’m open to any suggestions at this point.

#15 ·
Well I’ve spent the better part of the night changing sensors and writing posts on here that nobody is reading... cause it’s the middle of the night. Anyway, could this surge just be a bi-product of the large injectors? I found a good read here

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/2283002-odd-surging-issue.html?amp=1

which basically says big injectors will do this... is this true?
I have
DAP 225HP PERFORMANCE NOZZLES 7X0.012 VCO - 24V7X12VCO225
Anyone else go through this?

#17 ·
Yeah, I’m going to work on that today. As a side note, I’m not too thrilled with the quadzilla as far as user interface and the fact that it pushes data via WiFi. There’s quite a delay, which gives it a feel like it’s not even working right. Plus the FP reading at 45psi. I’ll guess we’ll see if that’s accurate...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.