Egt and fuel pressure issues??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Egt and fuel pressure issues???

So I was working on my truck and I notice my fuel pressure was around 14 (gauge located ontop of the filter housing) at idle but if I went wide open it would drop to 5 or so. 0 if I power braked it to put it under load. So I installed a Holley blue push pump. Now I’m sitting at 20 at idle drops to 10 WOT and 5 under load. Now I’m noticing my egts are way lower then they were before installing the Holley fuel pump.

I wanna know why my fuel pressure drops so much and why my egts are so much lower then before.

Little info on the truck. 99 ram 3500 dually. Vp44 only has 8k miles on it lift pump has 500 maybe. I did replace lift pump and vp at the same time but while changing my tapper cover gasket I broke the banjo nut off overtightening. Stupid me. So filter was changed less then 500 ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Diesel Head

what gph is the blue pump ? been years since i ran one...but i dont think they like diesel. pretty thick fuel for that pump.

02 Sport / 47re / 4" MBRP TBE / DAP 75hp sticks/ HX35W / GDP FUEL BOSS / DDRP02 / 3rd gen brakes / 4th gen steering / 2" Thuren / MC ARMS / 5100's /285/75/17
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:35 PM
Diesel Head

Is the Holley the only fuel pump on the truck?

'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. Jammer 100's, 62-65-.70A/R WG, adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs Take time to turn-so you don't burn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post
what gph is the blue pump ? been years since i ran one...but i dont think they like diesel. pretty thick fuel for that pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post

Storm. Honestly not sure of the gph. I’ll look into it today. I ran it because my buddy ran his for years. Without issues.

Clunk. It is not. I still have the lift pump in.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
Storm. Not sure of the gph. I’ll look into it

Clunk. No I’m still running the lift pump too. Thanks guys
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 PM
Diesel Head

it isnt odd that the pressure rose with a new filter...try a new filter, or try no filter to diagnose...

02 Sport / 47re / 4" MBRP TBE / DAP 75hp sticks/ HX35W / GDP FUEL BOSS / DDRP02 / 3rd gen brakes / 4th gen steering / 2" Thuren / MC ARMS / 5100's /285/75/17
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,576 Times in 2,074 Posts
You can NOT run two fuel pumps in series. Thats probably why the severity of the fuel presssure drop. As for the EGT, that could be related to the gauges themselves. What brand of gauges are they?

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
You can NOT run two fuel pumps in series. Thats probably why the severity of the fuel presssure drop. As for the EGT, that could be related to the gauges themselves. What brand of gauges are they?
Katoom my fuel pressure was dropping the same amount with just the lift pump. Even when I first changed the lift and VP at the same time. My main concern is why my egts are in the normal range when I remove the Holley pump. But when it’s installed. I can’t even get over 350 degrees WOT from a dig. No matter what I do I can’t get over 350 degrees. My gauges are glowshift. I don’t think it’s a wiring issue or probe. Probe is from my edge tuner that I removed when I had my tranny rebuilt. Don’t wanna rebuild it again. EGTS are normal when the Holley is removed.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
it isnt odd that the pressure rose with a new filter...try a new filter, or try no filter to diagnose...

Stormin. I was only asking wondering about that fuel pressure drop because the specs on the VP say no more then a 5 psi drop. I’m dropping 10. 15 with load. My main concern is why my egts are normal without the Holley pump and then so low with it installed. I even removed it to see if maybe the gauge just wasn’t working right and they go right back to normal. Another side note. I’m running 25psi WOT so I turned it down to 15psi. And now my egts are slightly higher. But still don’t seem normal to me. Or atleast the same on 25 psi with no Holley pump.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

So I been thinking. If someone prior to me put bigger injectors in the truck would that make my fuel pressure drop more then normal. And how would I know without removing one to see
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:59 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,576 Times in 2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaminNdaCummin View Post
Katoom my fuel pressure was dropping the same amount with just the lift pump. Even when I first changed the lift and VP at the same time. My main concern is why my egts are in the normal range when I remove the Holley pump. But when itís installed. I canít even get over 350 degrees WOT from a dig. No matter what I do I canít get over 350 degrees. My gauges are glowshift. I donít think itís a wiring issue or probe. Probe is from my edge tuner that I removed when I had my tranny rebuilt. Donít wanna rebuild it again. EGTS are normal when the Holley is removed.
OK...the fuel pressure problem is still the fact that you have two fuel pumps working in series. Your original OEM lift pump is just incapable of supplying adequate fuel volume. The second aftermarket fuel pump will be much better but you're hampering everything by running two fuel pumps in series.

As for the EGT's and the gauges... Clearly there's a problem with the gauge readings if you cant crest 350* EGT's. I certainly dont like GS gauges as they prove time and time again to be horribly unreliable and/or inaccurate given the number of people on these forums who post problems with that specific brand.
I would guess that whats going on is however you have the gauges wired up is being affected by however the second fuel pump is wired up. Well...at least thats as it appears based on everything you've said so far.

Can you describe how all the gauges are wired and how you wired up the Holley fuel pump? That may help understand whats going on.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaminNdaCummin View Post
Katoom my fuel pressure was dropping the same amount with just the lift pump. Even when I first changed the lift and VP at the same time. My main concern is why my egts are in the normal range when I remove the Holley pump. But when it’s installed. I can’t even get over 350 degrees WOT from a dig. No matter what I do I can’t get over 350 degrees. My gauges are glowshift. I don’t think it’s a wiring issue or probe. Probe is from my edge tuner that I removed when I had my tranny rebuilt. Don’t wanna rebuild it again. EGTS are normal when the Holley is removed.
OK...the fuel pressure problem is still the fact that you have two fuel pumps working in series. Your original OEM lift pump is just incapable of supplying adequate fuel volume. The second aftermarket fuel pump will be much better but you're hampering everything by running two fuel pumps in series.

As for the EGT's and the gauges... Clearly there's a problem with the gauge readings if you cant crest 350* EGT's. I certainly dont like GS gauges as they prove time and time again to be horribly unreliable and/or inaccurate given the number of people on these forums who post problems with that specific brand.
I would guess that whats going on is however you have the gauges wired up is being affected by however the second fuel pump is wired up. Well...at least thats as it appears based on everything you've said so far.

Can you describe how all the gauges are wired and how you wired up the Holley fuel pump? That may help understand whats going on.
Katoom.
My fuel pump is wired in with the lift pump. My gauges are wired in through my radio power. If I take the Holley out right now. My egts go right back to normal. I believe the gauge is working fine. That was my fist guess. The wires are all soldered and shrink wrapped.
Maybe I’ll try taking out the lift pump and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode