Over heating help! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Over heating help!

Hey everyone I've been having some issues with my truck, I had the motor "Professionaly" built By One Way Diesel performance about a year ago. I HAVE 8,000 MILES on this motor and it has given me issue after issue. I'm not going to get into how hard they [email protected]#$%& me but now my truck has been over heating and blowing coolant lines apart, I have checked to see if oil is mixing with the coolant and it is not, after sitting for about a week from the last time I drove it, beafore I started it I opened the radiator cap this morning and coolant blew out as if it was still pressurized. I thought to my self "that's weird" but I needed my truck so I drove it to town. It is now sitting in a Walgreens parking lot because the gauge hit 240 and started flashing CHECK GAUGES. I tried to keep it running So the fan would continue pushing air through the motor but the longer I let it run the higher the temp rose so I shut it down and had a buddy come get me. any help would be greatly be appreciated

98.5 cummins - Airdog 150 - Edge Juice With Attitude - 150hp Injecters - Built Transmission - 5in Turbo Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Also forgot to mention as I was sitting there and the temp dropped down to about 220 I heard a sound mixed between flowing water and gurgling in the passenger side dash. Didn't really sound like boiling water but I guess it could be

98.5 cummins - Airdog 150 - Edge Juice With Attitude - 150hp Injecters - Built Transmission - 5in Turbo Back Exhaust
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:42 PM

seems like your water pump is clogged or broke. did they replace it?

98.5 | QCLB | 47RE | 4x4 | ARP | BD | DAP | FASS | Fleece | Fluidamper | iQuad | S&B | 4" Straight pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:43 PM

or a clog in your coolant system.

98.5 | QCLB | 47RE | 4x4 | ARP | BD | DAP | FASS | Fleece | Fluidamper | iQuad | S&B | 4" Straight pipe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

They were supposed to replace EVERYTHING However with the amount of issues I've had idk anymore

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Diesel Freak

Sounds like head gasket, it wouldn't have to push oil in the coolant to pressurizing coolant system with cylinder pressure. If you can get a pressure gauge on the cooling system, see what it does after starting it.

-
99 Ram 3500 SLT 4x4, 19.5's, P24v, ZF6-750, s362/475, 7x0.014, supporting mods.
The Following User Says Thank You to marco610 For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (04-20-2019)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Is there any chance this is something that could be caused by a thermostat not opening? On the highway the temp stay around 190 but when I hit stop and go traffic I overheat, my original thought was the fan clutch but that SHOULD be new also...

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,080 Posts
First thing I'd look for is coolant flowing. When the engine is running and its up to normal operating temperature then you should be able to see coolant flowing with the radiator cap off. If the coolant is not moving then thats an indication of a non-working water pump or a faulty thermostat.
Another indication is if the water pump or thermostat was the problem then the radiator would be too cool relative to the temperature of the engine. Something much easier checked with a laser temperature gun tool.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Diesel Head

after i rebuilt my engine i had some coolant issues as well. my problem was the excessive boost and higher revs so i was blowing freeze plugs and line fittings. i bought one of those coolant bypass kits off the rear of the head and that solved all my issues.

id check that you have flow, you can feel hoses after driving to see where the heat is. a thermal camera would be best but you may not have one of them. you could pull your thermostat, make sure the system if full, then bring it up to registering on the dash gage. then feel your hoses and see if anything feels too cold.

there is also a fitting on the passenger side front of hte engine that you could pull the smaller hose off and put in a clear section of tube. then you could watch and see if you have flow.

our engines have MASSIVE coolant channels, id be absolutely shocked if one is plugged. unless a rag or something got left in a galley... that could do it.

when i was diagnosing mine i pulled in and out hoses off and used compressed shop air to blow through the block/lines/radiators... and so on, let me know if there was a blockage or not

might be worth pulling the pump, its like a 10 minute job so worth a check, there are a few types of pumps. one type generates too much pressure and cause problems if pushing the engine, they redesigned it to flow less fluid on a later model.

99 QC,LB. full billet trans, fass 150, iquad, 37", 407Lbs grill guard, DAP VP44, Thuren coils, Thuren king shocks, DoR control arms and trackbar, 16K lbs winch, retro solutions HID. Redhead gear box, compound turbo, DAP 125's, stroker W/HO pistons, 4.10/Elocker
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:17 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy1 View Post
Is there any chance this is something that could be caused by a thermostat not opening? On the highway the temp stay around 190 but when I hit stop and go traffic I overheat, my original thought was the fan clutch but that SHOULD be new also...
Do you notice the clutched fan kicking in hard when it starts over heating? May be a indication of a bad thermostat or water pump if the water in the rad is too cold to active the fan. You should be able to notice when the fan is working hard.

I still suspect hg, shouldnt be overpressured when cold.

-
99 Ram 3500 SLT 4x4, 19.5's, P24v, ZF6-750, s362/475, 7x0.014, supporting mods.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco610 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy1 View Post
Do you notice the clutched fan kicking in hard when it starts over heating? May be a indication of a bad thermostat or water pump if the water in the rad is too cold to active the fan. You should be able to notice when the fan is working hard.

I still suspect hg, shouldnt be overpressured when cold.
I have read somewhere that when the outside temperature starts warming up it can pressurize the coolant system, Over this past week we have gone from under 30゚ and snow all the way up to 70゚ and Sunny so I'm wondering if that did play a part of why it was pressurized when I opend the cap this morning? As for the fan kicking in hard I have not noticed it, It seems to run and operate as it should. If its the head gasket I don't know what could have caused it to blow because it has been O ringed and a locked down with ARP studs. The truck Is capable of around 80 pounds of boost however I have never put it over 60

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 PM

I had the gurgling sound while my radiator had a bad leak. The coolant gets low and you hear it on the left side of the dash.
A good point to check is to make sure the serpentine belt is tight and making good contact with the water pump. Also check the water pump bearing, remove belt try to move it up or down. I had a bad water pump once that didn't make noise or leak, it created the same symptoms. I would also just replace the thermostat cause it's cheap and they do go bad.
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode