24V Engine wiring harness interchange - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
24V Engine wiring harness interchange

I'm going to tell a little story here, my apologies to those who desire a higher pictures to words ratio.

The other day I went out to try and start my 2001 Quad Cab Flatbed 2500 4x4 w/Auto, after it had been sitting for a few weeks, and it would crank but that was it. I did a little research, and I started to get worried that my VP44 had reached the end of the road, but I wanted to be sure before dropping the money. So I went out to crank it again, listening closely for the lift pump to run, and heard nothing. So I decided to make it a priority to get the FASS lift pump and FASS sump on the truck that I hadn't been able to find the time for previously. Things went nicely on the sump, and I then started to route the new wiring. I knew I wanted to pull the factory lift pump and fuel filter to free up the space, so it made sense to get them off to make the routing of wires easier. I pulled off the fuel filter housing, and this is what I found:

I had previously seen a cat crawl up in the engine bay, I had thought it was just hiding up there from my dog, but I guess it thought it had a new scratching post. Next time I see that cat, I'll drop the dog's leash. The other thing relevant to this story that you might notice in that picture is the block that get's installed by the dealer when they do the in tank lift pump mod, which I now know I have. (luckily I already had the sump)

The tag on my engine wiring harness lists the part number as 3947682. I called Cummins Bridgeway this evening and got a price North of $1000. (The details stopped registering for me after I heard the "one thousand") I can try to repair it, which I will, but the harness is in even worse shape than the picture shows, and it may be quite challenging. There are wiring harnesses on ebay for 24V trucks in a reasonable price range, but none with the part number I have.

So here are my questions: I have read that swapping engines year to year can be a bad experience, but what about swapping the wiring harnesses between years? Will all the connectors match up? Or did connections change when the sensors changed? Also, will I be able to work with the connections I have (or will get on a new harness) to be able to plug in the FASS wiring harness for my new lift pump and still have a fuel gauge indication? They are both on the same connection at the tank, but I haven't been able to properly trace them out yet. (because a bunch of *!%#ing wires are ripped apart)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:36 AM
Master of Mayhem NASFIG

Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,365 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
the easiest thing would be to find a 01 harness, then next would be a 02. A cummins part number will not be the same as a dodge one.

Really don't give a rat's App**
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
your going to need a harness for an 01-02 as those had a different map sensor hookup and if I am not mistaken from a truck that's auto 4x4 also but don't quote me on that

2002 6 speed HO, Edge Juice, Raptor 150,200hp JL Machine injectors,AFE Intake, FB 5" straight pipe, SB DD 3250, and other goodies!!!!!
2000 5 speed 3500,edge,150's,dd3250 etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Master of Mayhem NASFIG

should just need one from 01-02. looks just like the harness we keep for fummins swaps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Do you think auto or manual would make a difference?

I pulled my old one out yesterday, and it looks to have all the same connections as one on ebay that is from an '02 manual truck. My truck is an auto.

There is another one from a '00 auto truck and it is obviously different. So I know not every 24v harness will fit.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 AM
Master of Mayhem NASFIG

as far as engine harness, should be the same other then maybe vss. 98.5 to 00 are different then 01-02 because of changes in engine sensors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode