If money were no object... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If money were no object...

I get that lots of folks on here are trying to save money where they can, and there are parts that I think are just fine to go with the "much cheaper, but almost as good" version of things. There are certain parts that I think can really come back to bite you if you cheap out on, like the air filter.

I too am trying to save money, but after reading up 40 or 50 different discussions about after market air filters and BHAF's for the last 24 hours now, my brain has started to ooze out of my ears and I am no closer to figuring out what to do, so I thought I would take a different approach here and ask:

If money were no object, given all of the different air filter options that are out there... Which one do you think is best? I've seen BHAF's for $35 + a Prefilter for another $20 and everything all the way up to the $410 AFE here; https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...hd-intake.html

I feel like dry is 100% the way to go, over the "oiled" versions i've seen based on the commentaries, but there is just no real consensus out there (at least not in the threads ive read) about what filter system is the best.

Any comments/advise/personal experience is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Josh

97 Crew cab, Longbed, Manual, 4x4, Ram2500 12valve (non-Ca) stock(140k mi), stock turbo and injectors, no mods except suspension/exhaust 2" leveling kit, DOR HD steering kit, HBS track bar, Carli springs and Bilstein shocks... 4" exhaust (NO CAT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Having the air filter all enclosed and protected unlike the BHAF was the selling point for me. I use oiled filter, with a prefilter around it. I have one of these: https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...ir-intake.html

The sound difference from the passenger side of the engine bay while driving is way different between the metal enclosure and a plastic enclosure. Much more deep tones while coasting and decelerating, in my opinion the metal box is the way to go.

Intense Blue 98.5 ARB Reunel AFE Isspro GDP Quadzilla Warn Carli Thuren Spohn
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:33 AM
Diesel Freak

The stock filter is plenty for a untuned truck. Unless your going for sound.

-
99 Ram 3500 SLT 4x4, 19.5's, P24v, ZF6-750, s362/475, 7x0.014, supporting mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Guess I could have provided a bit more info on my truck... Motor was just rebuilt, bored out twenty thousandths, pretty much new everything, studded, tst power plate, timing turned up just a touch.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Supporting Vendor

Garage
I would suggest the BHAF is good up to a 400hp truck. After that I would start looking into an SB or AFE kit for sure.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco610 View Post
The stock filter is plenty for a untuned truck. Unless your going for sound.
Agree 100%. Unless you outflow the cfm of the stock filter, there is no reason to change. Roadkill just did a test doing this with a Duramax using the edge blade one that cost 300 bucks. Only got them 6 degree cooler AIT...i.e. no power gain. There isn't a chance the engineers at s&b, edge, or any other flavor figured some sort of better technique - but they'll market that they have.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:25 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,623 Times in 2,115 Posts
Yes, stock air filter will flow enough for a stock engine. But the factory plastic filter box is too close to the heat of the turbo and notorious for cracking and not sealing correctly, which both lead to dust/debris making its way into the turbo/engine. Replacing the factory airbox with an aftermarket air filter system that still draws cold air from the fender is not a bad investment, even if you're not seeking more power.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:50 PM
Diesel Freak

The bigger the filter, the longer service life before cleaning or replacement. I've got the afe cai on one truck and an amsoil (open like a bhaf) on the other. Both do well with the dust check on the tube between the filter and turbo. I know that's not very good test, but it's something.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Diesel Freak

Iíve got over 400k miles logged with oiled filters with zero Iíll effects. That being said if I was in your shoes Iíd put the dry BHAF on and call it a day. Like DAP said, unless your chasing big power those things flow plenty and filter out almost everything.

2012 black RCLB G56 4X4 deletes efi by anarchy,s467.7 Pfeifer's performance,FPE, "The Handshaker"
99 green ECSB SOLD 5spd big air big fuel big power. "Go Green"
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Diesel Freak

Easiest way to clean the oil type is to soak the whole think in warm water with liquid dish soap over night and air dry it in the sun. Light on the oil. I was thinking of going back to the dry type. I want to design a ram air type. Don't know what kind of filter yet. Might increase mileage on the freeway.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:42 PM
Automotive Connoisseur

Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,444 Posts
Years ago my factory airbox was showing signs of beginning to leak slightly, so it was time for me to upgrade. Tried the BHAF idea, but ended up not liking it hanging out there with no protection around it, filters are too easy to damage without even noticing until it is too late, plus water can get up there rather easily. Ended up getting a S&B setup with a dry filter. Did not do this for performance gains, and no increase in performance was noticed after installing.
KATOOM likes this.

2002 6 SPEED QCSB 4x4
- 2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax -
- 2018 Nash 26N TT -
- 1968 Thunderbird 429 Landau -

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmaybury View Post
Easiest way to clean the oil type is to soak the whole think in warm water with liquid dish soap over night and air dry it in the sun. Light on the oil. I was thinking of going back to the dry type. I want to design a ram air type. Don't know what kind of filter yet. Might increase mileage on the freeway.
This is an interesting comment, to me and here's why... I used to race cars, and invariably the filter was not in an ideal place to put a hood scoop for ram air... Our's is situated in a perfect spot to do so... Has anyone seen a ram air set up for our trucks? I'm genuinely curious.

Coming from a racing background, I know that i'm not putting out the kind of horsies to justify something like this, however, an argument can always be made for ANY turbo vehicle that bringing in ambient outside air to the filter will always be better than pre-heated air from the engine bay.

97 Crew cab, Longbed, Manual, 4x4, Ram2500 12valve (non-Ca) stock(140k mi), stock turbo and injectors, no mods except suspension/exhaust 2" leveling kit, DOR HD steering kit, HBS track bar, Carli springs and Bilstein shocks... 4" exhaust (NO CAT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode