Installed edge juice with attitude 31400 (Have questions) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hey guys just was the title suggest, I installed my brand new edge juice with attitude yesterday, install was super easy and super fun, all went perfect. Had no check engine lights or anything and I couldn’t have been happier with its performance.

Few questions..

1. I notice now that when I am on setting 4 and I am light on the throttle it builds boost quickly which is great cuz of the advanced fueling but now I notice when I give it around 1/4 throttle and if I let off rapidly just as the turbo starts to get going I’m hearing my turbo flutter.. it’s a low frequency flutter not high frequency.. truck never did this before and I assume it’s cuz it’s now pushing more boost because of more fuel? Also the Edge boost elbow could be causing this? (Let me know if this is normal)

2. I have a stock 7RE trans but it has been rebuilt with the updated interals.. I have heard guys running on 4 and 5 with a stock trans before but I know it’s not recommended.. I don’t abuse my truck and I don’t hold a WOT for more than 20-60 seconds at the very most.. would I be ok leaving it in setting 4 like I have been and would 5 be ok if I baby it? I want the extra milage that the higher settings will give me and the extra throttle response (tips?)

3. Can this unit do de-fulling with the 98.5 model? Does it only de-fuel when engine is below temp or if I have an alarm set for a peak of a given sensor? Or is de-fueling always on unless I turn it off? Also can I adjust my timing manually on a given power level? (I hear you can do this but only on certain model years) which is why I ask if I’m able to or not with my 1999 year.

4. What is the max PSI you guys are seeing with your edge juice on a given level? For me setting 1 and 2 yielded maybe 1-3psi higher than 20lbs stock... settings 3 was about 25-26psi and setting 4 I’m getting roughly 26-28psi.. does this sound about right? (Truck is bone stock other than a res delete, and a BHAF.) I assume at setting 5 I would be hitting in or around 30psi and if I got a 4” turbo back I would prolly be able to hit the max of around 33-35psi?

5. Should I update the edge monitor via my PC? What would I be loosing if I didn’t? I purchased it brand new and it seems to be working perfectly fine out of the box, I’m the kind of guy if it ain’t broke don’t fix it so that’s why I ask.

6 (Last question) Is this edge juice model (31400) able to do hot-unlock? I have heard hot unlock is only for the 01/02+ models or something like that? Also do I have to pay for hot unlock or is it free once I sign the waiver? Just curious cuz I have heard guys say both. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 12:23 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

1. Mine did it to so I think it is normal. But its not good but not very bad either.

2. You can baby the trans all you want on levels 4-5 but once you rip into it, you are gonna destroy that trans. No ifs about it. Get a built trans.

3. Read your instruction manual.

4. All those boost readings sound dead on to what my 99 did.

5. There will be no issues, again read your manual.

6. Yes it is. Since you have the juice and not the comp, you got to edges website and you can purchase the hot unlock for about 100 bucks. It is not free. In order to get that 6th level you must pay because they are greedy.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 07:55 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I installed my Edge about a month before I had my transmission built. I wasn't very nice to it during that time, transmission was stock with 213k on it. It still worked perfectly when I took it in for the build but they told me I did have plenty of debris in the pan.

2001 Ram QC SLT 4X4 5.9/AT(Built) BHAF, Pusher, FASS150, 4" DP, 5" Aussies, built transmission, GS gauges, steering brace, EJWA-CTS2, BD Stealth cover, turnbuckle mod, Fire Truck horn, 4th gen tow mirrors, 3rd gen brakes, switchbacks, high/3cyl switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokestack69 View Post
1. Mine did it to so I think it is normal. But its not good but not very bad either.

2. You can baby the trans all you want on levels 4-5 but once you rip into it, you are gonna destroy that trans. No ifs about it. Get a built trans.

3. Read your instruction manual.

4. All those boost readings sound dead on to what my 99 did.

5. There will be no issues, again read your manual.

6. Yes it is. Since you have the juice and not the comp, you got to edges website and you can purchase the hot unlock for about 100 bucks. It is not free. In order to get that 6th level you must pay because they are greedy.
Hey man thanks for the info, its been a few weeks since i posted this, in reality i shoulda waited a few days of having the edge juice to make this post because i answered most these questions i had myself..

For 1 i found where you enter the hot unlock code which told me it was possible and when i went to their website i realized it was $100, Next i figured out the defueling and how it works by playing with the programmer (manual i did read the entire thing but it doesn't specify some things very well... it gives an overall description of the defueling but then says (your truck may or may not do this depending on year) which was why i felt i had to ask you guys to find out what my specific model year had for defueling settings. Found out that the 98.5-02 will de-fuel based on: MAX set boost setting, MAX set EGT setting and lastly, per engine warm-up (depending on what coolant temp you want it to keep defueling to which was good.. I also figured out how to work the timing/sub levels by playing around in the settings and how to advance/decrease the timing and what not per tune level (its a lot of fun to experiment with this)ONE thing i REALLY hoped it had that it doesn't tho was de-fueling for torque converter slip.. This feature must only be available for 03+ models cuz i didn't see it anywhere in the programmer.. Correct me if i'm wrong? It woulda been a fantastic feature to have tho. :/

About my stock 7RE trans.. It does have all the updated internals since it was recently rebuilt some time before i purchased the truck and I HAVE been running in 5x5 since about day 3 with the programmer (couldn't help myself) I find I get the best gas millage as well on 5x5 and the power on demand is just insane. I have stomped it many times and my trans has been holding up fantastic so far but i DO let off the throttle slightly when it up-shifts to lessen the chance of the clutches slipping and throwing debris through the trans.. I also only stomp on it for a certain amount of time and will only run through a few gears till i get up to about 40-60 then let off.. i never stomp it when torque converter can lock and never try to load up the trans too much so doing this along with my driving style and techniques hopefully it will allow my trans to last me till I have money to upgrade to a stage 1 trans in a year or two..

Lastly thanks about answering about the turbo flutter and boost pressure questions... I figured this was normal but wasn't totally sure.. I know its not the best for the turbo and now that i know when and how it will flutter I just make sure to avoid it from happening all together... And about the boost pressures... on 5x5 i was peaking at 29psi and dropping to about 27ish psi but found i had a boost leak that i found on my intake horn.. i replaced the gasket and now i'm seeing it spike to about 33psi and then it will drop back to roughly 30psi and hold steady.. def gained power by fixing that boost leak and i'm glad i found it as i felt it was lacking a little boost compared to other people which was why i asked that boost pressure question in the first place.

Just wanted to give you an update man, thanks for your help and input! Truck has been running fantastic! Love the edge JWA.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syco67 View Post
I installed my Edge about a month before I had my transmission built. I wasn't very nice to it during that time, transmission was stock with 213k on it. It still worked perfectly when I took it in for the build but they told me I did have plenty of debris in the pan.
Thanks for sharing man good to know, As i said my trans was recently rebuilt with the updated internals sometime before i bought the truck.. So that's a major fix i'm glad was done.. Also i changed the trans oil and filter when i first got it and it was clean as a whistle looked like brand new in there even the filter but i changed out the filter and oil anyways..

So far been running for 3 weeks roughly on 5x5 with zero issues.. at least all of 2 weeks.. like i said above tho i'm just careful about when and how i put the power to it and i think as long as your trans is healthy and your careful and don't abuse it then it should hold up relatively ok..

Here is a video i made when i first got my edge juice before i learned everything i know now, I made this video to help people understand what exactly comes with the kit and what parts do what and where to use them....that sort of thing.. Check it out if you'd like!

VIDEO:

I will be posting a new video soon to my channel on edge juice 5x5 vs stock 0-60 times.. ill also be buying the hot unlock code too and testing 6x5 and what kind of power increases i see with it so stay tuned if you like what you see, I also have other cummins 24v videos as well on my channel feel free to watch
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:06 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,933 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
save for a trans.

2018 3500 CCLB G56
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
save for a trans.
I feel ya, Lucky i don't really beat on my truck/trans.. I drive it easy and when i get on it i slowly lean into the throttle i never punch it.. also whenever shifting under a heavy load i am sure to lift my peddle to allow it to have a smooth/easy shift before getting back into it.. This being said i know i'm still eventually gonna need a trans but as long as im not hard on it i feel it should last a good amount of time..

Here is my latest video

VIDEO: Edge Juice With Attitude 0-60 Stock VS. Edge 5x5
(***SKIP TO:*** 18:00 MIN mark to jump straight to the 0-60 tests!)

I also plan on buying the HOT UNLOCK soon and giving that a go.. Should make for an interesting video

When i made this video this was the hardest i ever launched the truck and was the hardest i ever was on the trans.. I strictly did it for the video/performance test cuz i know people were wondering of the difference in power so i took the risk but would NOT recommend doing what i did on a stock trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode