First time Cummins owner (Looking for upgrades) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hey guys so I bought my first turbo diesel the other day, it’s a 99 dodge 2500 Cummins with the 24v and the HX35 turbo. I’m not new to turbo’ed Vehicles or mechanics but I am new to a turbo diesel Cummins. I use to have a 500whp Acura Integra with a GT35R turbo on it back about 8 years ago when I was a kid.

I’m looking for some cheap mods to get me going, I don’t want to make this truck a race truck because it’s just gonna be for hauling trailers and daily driving so I’m just looking to unlock some extra power.

So far it’s totally un-molested, only thing that’s been done to it is an upgraded lift pump (in the tank) I was told..which is great because of the injection pump issues with a stock lift pump. Other than that he said he did some type of ground from the engine? Supposedly it helps with something but he couldn’t remember what it was suppose to help; I’m thinking he was talking about the ground strap you add from the Transmisson to help with transmission noise but I’m not totally sure I’ll have to look into it and see where that ground goes to that he showed me when I bought the truck.

What I want: (Cheap Extra Power)
-Good quality but cheap 4” or 5” Turbo back exhaust. (I want it to be opened up and sound a bit louder) do I want a muffler? Do I want a 4” or a 5”? Thinking 4” would be plenty with no muffler but you guys tell me? (Recommendations?)

-A cheap but decent air intake (Recommendations?)

-A good but cheap programmer.. something that will show me all of my live data such as boost pressure, fuel pressure, trans temp, and exhaust gas temps.. I don’t wanna buy the gauges cuz I want the truck to have a stock appearance so a phone app/tablet or small monitor from the programmer is what I’m looking for (Recommendations?)

-A Boost elbow so I can adjust the boost

Things I may get (IF) its worth it:

-All aluminum/metal charge and intake piping?

-New high flow intake Horn?

-New 3 piece exhaust manifold?

(If the power gains are not gonna be very noticeable for daily driving and trailer hauling with these then ill prolly just leave them stock) **Just looking for cheap power here**

My questions:
-How do I find out what brand aftermarket pump I have if it’s already inside the fuel tank? Any way to check this to find out with out dropping the tank? (I feel finding this out is most important first step)
-When I get a programmer to increase power and am able to monitor all the proper gauges how would I know how much to turn up the boost? I assume I will want to be watching my fuel pressure and exhaust temps to tell me where I’m at as far as how far I’m pushing the engine? I would like to know what to look for so I know if I’v got too much boost and how to tell when I can add more boost to the engine with the boost elbow with out worry of hurting my engine.

Aside from that guys that’s just my main concerns and goals right now.. if you guys can help me with anything I mentioned above it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8D5100C-3C5B-40EC-93C5-60A4090E56C3_1575637140812.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	862215   Click image for larger version

Name:	BFC28993-987A-4C0B-BA20-6BA24898CF98_1575637265130.jpg
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	862217   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D5EAA2C-19FC-4940-B69C-B59105F06E74_1575637287380.jpg
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	862219  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,930 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Cheap fast reliable,

pick 2

A tuner alone will make a noticable difference, but I would put money into the rest of the truck first. IE your trans niose issue, there are detailed write ups on how to actually fix this issue. also a stock auto doesn't handle power well. you will likely blow through the converter in short order.

There is no recommended cheap power recipe on a stock auto vp44.

2018 3500 CCLB G56
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Cummins Fan

From what I read I would just buy a quadzilla and buy an android tablet to run it off of. You can moniter everything the engine sees and custom tune. Pass that I would dig much deeper until you are ready to drop coin on a good fuel system and stronger trans.

02vp44. 7x0.013's 62/75w Race Cover. 182/214 Hamilton. Quadzilla Water-Meth, Supporting Mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
-A cheap but decent air intake (Recommendations?)

-All aluminum/metal charge and intake piping?

-New high flow intake Horn?

-New 3 piece exhaust manifold?
You can do without all that stuff. Transmission will be the biggest single expense.

-
99 Ram 3500 SLT 4x4, 19.5's, P24v, ZF6-750, s362/475, 7x0.014, supporting mods.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I would like to change the exhaust and do a cold air intake on mine. Its a 5sp so don't have to worry about the trans. Not looking for big power as it pulls pretty good the way it is.

98 Dodge Crew cab Dually 24v 5 spd.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys so i did quite a bit of research in the last few days. My trans has already been rebuilt with the updated internals not long ago and has been very well maintained before i got the truck, i just dropped the pan and installed a new trans filter, added the rubber pan gasket, a new oil pan, and a new governor solenoid (as i know these can be problematic then filled with fresh fluid. The trans inside looked MINTY clean, no metal shavings on magnet, it literally looked like brand new in there from what i could tell and oil was as pink + clear as new. Trans shifts smooth no complaints there.. I did have an issue with it not coming out of first gear a few days ago and found out that dodge posted a bulletin about it where on some models/years if the fuel light goes on the transmission wont shift out of first.. so i finally figured that out and when i fueled it up its been shifting fine ever since (thank god i solved that one before dumping in tons of money to try and fix it) I got away easy.

So my first upgrade is going to be the Quadzilla with blue-tooth so i can use my ipad mini for the gauges and turn up fuel pressure.. I believe this tuner is rated for an added 50-60hp? My next upgrade is going to be 75hp injectors.. I dont want to go higher than 75-100hp because i know my stock hx35 wont be able to put out more than 32-35psi reliably so i think 75-100hp injectors is gonna be about my max on a stock turbo (which i do want to leave stock for now but may upgrade later down the road)

Anybody have ideas for good injectors i can start with? I hear Bosch makes some nice injectors rv-250 or rv-300's? I hear these are a great place to start specially if keeping the stock turbo.. Now are these Bosch a sac injector or just a regular Ok guys so i did quite a bit of research in the last few days. My trans has already beeen rebuilt not long ago and has been ver well maintained before i got the truck, i just dropped the pan and installed a new filter, rubber hasket, new oil pan, and a new govener solinoid (as i know these can be problematic then filled with fresh fluid. The trans inside looked MINTY clean, no metal shavings on magnet, it litterally looked like brand new in there from what i could tell. Trans shifts smooth no complaints there.. I did have an issue with it not coming out of first gear and found out that dodge posted a bulliton about it where on some models if the fuel light goes on the transmission wont shift out of first.. so i finally figured that out and when i fueled it up its been shifting fine ever since (thank god i solved that one) I got away easy.

So my first upgrade is going to be the quadzilla with bluetooth so i can use my ipad mini for the guages and turn up fuel pressure.. I beleve this tuner is rated for an added 50-60hp? My next upgrade is going to be 75hp injectors.. I dont want to go higher than 75-100hp because i know my stock hx35 wont be able to put out more than 32-35psi reliably so i think 75-100hp injectros is gonna be about my max on a stock turbo (which i do want to leave stock for now)

Anybody have ideas for good injectors i can start with? I hear bosch makes some nice injectors rv-250 or rv-300's? I hear these are a great place to start specially if keeping the stock turbo.. Now are these bosch a sac injector or just a regular VAC style?

I would also like to get a 4" turbo back exhaust with no muffler but does anyone know how limiting the OEM exhaust is? Seems like it would flow pretty good with a deleted muffler what do you guys think. Could the stock exhaust with no muffler work ok with no muffler for a quadzilla and 75hp injectors or would it definitely be restricting? I only ask cuz i like the current sound of the stock exhaust because its pretty quite and has no droning affect.

I did add a napa BAHF filter to the truck already and that alone seemed to really open it up, turbo screams now and it gets spooling much quicker.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
Cheap fast reliable,

pick 2

A tuner alone will make a noticable difference, but I would put money into the rest of the truck first. IE your trans niose issue, there are detailed write ups on how to actually fix this issue. also a stock auto doesn't handle power well. you will likely blow through the converter in short order.

There is no recommended cheap power recipe on a stock auto vp44.
Thanks for your comment man, So i contacted the previous owner and he said it does already have the ground setup for the alternator/trans noise canceler, he said he got it from thoroughbrediesel and installed it already so im good as far as the trans noise goes and the trans shifts perfect. Also like mentioned above the trans was already rebuilt once and has the updated internals in it so im hoping that will buy me some time until i can afford a stage 1 trans which I think will be plenty for my needs. I already had the trans pan off to swap filter and governor solenoid just to be safe and added fresh oil and the inside of the trans looked mint and so did the oil, no metal at all found inside either..

So far this is what im thinking:

1.Quadzilla I-quad (This should add 40-60hp and should allow me to use m ipad mini to monitor all the important perimeters such as EGT, Boost, Trans temp, oil pressure, intake temp and so forth.

2. 4" turbo back exhaust

3. 75hp SAC style injectors (opinion on best ones to get for stock hx35 turbo? I hear the Bosch RV-275 are good as well whats your opinion?

4. Stage 1 trans upgrade but I would wait until i burn up my current converter or trans first

Anything you guys could add to the list or would think i should change or info on exact brands/names for what programmer, exhaust, and injectors you would recommend would be very appreciated.

I think if i stick with just these mods and dont go much farther i should have a reasonable power increase and as long as im not beating on it (which i don't) my trans should hold up for quite awhile. Truck is more a daily driver/work truck to pull my trailers.

Here is a Video I made on my youtube channel when I first got the truck and me adding the BHAF filter along with a new serpentine belt.

LINK:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Diesel Head

For your goals, the RV275s are great. Until you outgrow them, then it's a never ending game of alternately adding more air, more fuel, yet more air, yet more fuel, etc etc.

R12.5z in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & SAE-20078.5z all year.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Diesel Head

Did your trans rebuild include a Good torque converter? most generic rebuild kits don't have a new TC and most Generic TC's you buy from a shop won't hold extra power. A good single disc billet converter will hold ~350-400 hp reliably. anything above that and you need a triple disc to hold the torque.

iquad bluetooth is for android. Wifi version is for IOS.

The Quadzilla will do about 150-180 hp over stock if you run an aggressive tune. I suggest you not do that. I suggest you get 7 x .010 injectors and use the quadzilla to control the injectors. a hx35 with 7 x .010's and a good tune is a really nice combo that will support a bigger turbo down the road when you get to that point.

the stock exhaust is not limiting at all until you start talking about bigger turbos.

Assuming your trans is up to it call DAP and let them set you up with 7 x .010's and a quadzilla. They are a vendor here and they are great to work with.

as for the noise filter get that junk off the truck. all it does is cover up the root issue, which is sitting there now just eating away at your computers in the truck.

2018 3500 CCLB G56
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:38 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Not to hijack this but is the bd noise isolator not a good idea to use? I installed this couple moths ago to fix my converter going in and out. It fixed the problem but should I have not?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

00’QCSBSportLaramie,47RE,206k,4”Lift,285/65/18STTPro,BWack,52Curved,HIDs,CD, Tow Mirrors,Long Low Arm,Raybestos Slot/Drill F&Rear,Moog Front End,Bilstein5100,Reman Vp44,Fass95,4inStraight,Banks High Ram,S&B CAI,Optima Red,Edge CompHot,Gages,A/C delete.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 10:05 PM
Diesel Head

The noise isolator is just blocking the AC wave from confusing the trans.

But guess what? the rest of your electrical system is still being bombared with AC power. DC powered devices don't like being bombared with ac power.

read this article
https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/art...-testing-r388/

2018 3500 CCLB G56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode