I want a 4/500 horsepower daily/workhorse, what do I need? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 1 Post By KATOOM
  • 1 Post By s10010001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I want a 4/500 horsepower daily/workhorse, what do I need?

Ive got a bone stock 99 I run and edge comp box currently 5x1 setting. Stock hx35 and stock sticks and trans. I have a 24 5th wheel I tow when work sends me over an hour from home, and I haul on the side for extra cash, ranging from storage trailers, car haulers, bumper pulls and goosenecks and 5th wheels. Ive never had an issue with anything Ive pulled yet. But Id like to hop to to 4/500hp just for the bigger things I pull but also to liven up my drives around town and on the freeway if you catch my drift. Enough of the chat, whos built something to this spec and what do I need? Already leaning towards compounds, bigger sticks and a beefed up trans. Open to all advice and input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,984 Posts
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Not to sound like a jerk, but every other guy on here has 400-500 HP, and their recipes are all over the forum. I'd suggest using the search function on the forum, or just scrolling through the performance parts section. Heck, there's even a dyno thread at the top of the page showing setups with numbers.

"I didn't choose the '91.5z lyfe; the '91.5z lyfe chose me."

-Texasz Bilitz
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillM View Post
Not to sound like a jerk, but every other guy on here has 400-500 HP, and their recipes are all over the forum. I'd suggest using the search function on the forum, or just scrolling through the performance parts section. Heck, there's even a dyno thread at the top of the page showing setups with numbers.

Ive checked and taken a ton of notes, figured a new dig wouldnt hurt anything but might just be beating a dead horse here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:47 PM
Cummins Nut

Some more photos of the nice rig might help. I love those years of dodges and white is even better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aburdett For This Useful Post:
WhiteFive9 (12-02-2019)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:44 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,618 Times in 2,111 Posts
As WillM pointed out, all the information is out there...but throughout many threads and discussions. What you're asking is for someone to tell you exactly how to build something and there is no exact recipe. If you like plug and play packages then look up Banks stuff. They're good at putting together kits. But the aftermarket world is wide open for whatever you're after depending on what you're after. Just know that the build process is generally fuel upgrades, tuners, injectors, turbos, exhaust, intake...not always in that order though. Then you start again with the weak links you created.

So my suggestion to you would be:
1) narrow down your questions. Be specific...
2) understand that you cant have everything, meaning a 500 hp truck isnt going to be a great tow vehicle.
3) and start saving your coins because its going to take a LOT of them to get that kinda power. Especially if you want to tow with it...
s10010001 likes this.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
The Following User Says Thank You to KATOOM For This Useful Post:
WhiteFive9 (12-03-2019)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:39 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Some simple reliability mods and mild HP gains will go along way to pep up the old girl. She will still tow like a boss and be fun to drive unloaded too... and not give you much grief about it.

Fuel pump, tune, exhaust, intake stuff, mild trans. Plan the reliability stuff like trans and fuel for more HP now, and you can build on it as you go. Some sticks here, studs there, a turbo a little later, it will keep you busy for a long tome haha.

Stock 215-235 to 500hp is quite a jump... but I guess if you had like 15k handy you could slap it all in over the course of a few weeks and hope it doesnt blow up haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KATOOM likes this.

2008 6.7 2500 4x4 Auto 3.73
2000 5.9 3500 4x4 Auto 4.10 (sold)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 02:44 AM
Diesel Head

I've been happy with what's in my sig.

I'd invest in a nice trans and LP 1st. You can try different combinations of power adders after that.

01 Sport 4x, Quad w/ V2, Smarty, PhatShaft 62/65/14, 4" turbo back, FASS, Amsoil, 100hp DFI's, TunnelRam, H2 alloys, 5" lift, HD steering, Posi-Lok, Inglewood Trans w/ billet parts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Ok mine, comp box, 100hp injectors ,killer B turbo,4"exhaust, BHAF, BD air intake 490 hp 1095 tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode