Hx52 as a larger single. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hx52 as a larger single.

Recently I put an hx52 on my truck and I love it! I had to completely wing it, buy the turbo, and then measure and buy the parts. I am posting because the few threads I found on the internet had very little info on parts actually needed to get the job done. Specs are 67/74 and not sure if its 11 or 16 cm housing. Spools slow for an 11 and quick for a 16. Twin scroll. Fuel mods are 7x98s (100hp) injectors, 95 gph lift pump, and smarty s03. Hopefully this winter will put a quadzilla on it. Also will probably need to put a duel disk clutch with 1 3/8 input in my nv4500 to hold this power. It has an upgraded clutch that it mildly slips. If you buy the turbo I have, it has a v-band on the compressor that actually fits the stock elbow. You will need a m12x1.5 thread female to m16x1.5 thread Male adapter for the oil feed line. I ordered an adapter plate to go from t3 to t4i (not t4) and will need to countersink some bolts into it where the studs were in the manifold. You will also have to get a downpipe and v band flange in 4.62 inch size. I custom made mine because the internet wanted $150 for one. Great turbo so far not sure why it's not more popular. I will try to get pictures if someone wants them. I would estimate with the turbo I have 325-375 flywheel hp and the hottest I can get it is 1050 degrees. Hope this helped someone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 03:01 AM
Cummins Nut

Nice job doing the install yourself. I would guess that it is not more popular because it's way too big as a single, nor can it tow or provide any usable low rpm power. I'm guessing that it smokes like a freight train until it finally lights at around 2500 rpms?

I don't know how much you paid for it but there are other turbos out there that in single configuration spool way faster and provide much more usable power throughout a wide range of rpms. But if you are happy with it that's all that matters.

02 2500 4X4, reg cab shorty, 3.55, Smarty/TST, 75 over 62, 150 inj, 5" exh, 12" lift on 20" 34's, Goerend billet triple disc auto, Yukon hub/bearing kit
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Actually at 1400 rpms it build 5 psi 1500 it will build 15psi. Spools similar to a s363 with 80mm exhaust wheel and .91 ar single volute housing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Cruises 70 at 2 psi at 1650 rpm and will easily spools to 25 psi if I put my foot down
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

With current fuel I can only push 38 psi
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Green 24v View Post
Actually at 1400 rpms it build 5 psi 1500 it will build 15psi. Spools similar to a s363 with 80mm exhaust wheel and .91 ar single volute housing
Lol...I'm not outright calling you a liar but I know better and many people on here do as well. Seek attention somewhere else with your BS.

02 2500 4X4, reg cab shorty, 3.55, Smarty/TST, 75 over 62, 150 inj, 5" exh, 12" lift on 20" 34's, Goerend billet triple disc auto, Yukon hub/bearing kit
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmac View Post
Lol...I'm not outright calling you a liar but I know better and many people on here do as well. Seek attention somewhere else with your BS.
Where do you get off talking to this guy like this? Holsets are excellent when set up right. I'm running an HE551 right now as a single making 68psi. It spools faster than any BorgWarner I've ran.

If you don't believe me check out my instagram Dixon_Racing. This is the reason cumminsforum is made fun of, too many people who don't know what they're talking about.

I think the OP needs bigger injectors though, it will run a lot better.

'99 QCSB 4X4 Built Auto|Instagram: @Dixon_Racing
Compulsive Motorsports|High Tech Turbo
10.99 @123mph w/ 1.67 60'
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBark View Post
This is the reason cumminsforum is made fun of, too many people who don't know what they're talking about.
Oh sorry...I just call out BS when I hear it rather than let someone continue to spout it. It does tend to hurt people's feelings often...which is the whole point of doing it. If they feel bad enough about it maybe they won't lie again. It seems as though I hurt your feelings...sorry bout that. But I completely agree with you...newbies coming on here spouting unrealistic numbers and lies just looking for attention is definitely the reason why this forum has become a joke. I also prefer other forums where the members all have more than 4 posts and know what they are talking about and don't share fantasies about magical turbos that defy the laws of physics.

Would it make you feel any better if I apologized to the OP for calling out his BS? I see that you live in CA...I know you guys are big on feelings out there.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh sorry...I just call out BS when I hear it rather than let someone continue to spout it. It does tend to hurt people's feelings often...which is the whole point of doing it. If they feel bad enough about it maybe they won't lie again. It seems as though I hurt your feelings...sorry bout that. But I completely agree with you...newbies coming on here spouting unrealistic numbers and lies just looking for attention is definitely the reason why this forum has become a joke. I also prefer other forums where the members all have more than 4 posts and know what they are talking about and don't share fantasies about magical turbos that defy the laws of physics.

Would it make you feel any better if I apologized to the OP for calling out his BS? I see that you live in CA...I know you guys are big on feelings out there.
Wow you're a turbo genius. We need more experts like you. If this site bothers you so much, why don't you take your own advise and move along to your preferred forums. Unfortunately, I can't argue turbo's with you because I know little to nothing about them. I do however know a lot about how to speak to other people. I'm certainly not perfect at it but I will continue to read more of your posts so I can refine my skills.

Black 2008, DRW, 4x4, QC, automatic, 4:10's.
Dark gray 05, 2500, 4X4, QC, 5 speed automatic, LLY, Duramax.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15 View Post
Quote:

Wow you're a turbo genius. We need more experts like you. If this site bothers you so much, why don't you take your own advise and move along to your preferred forums. Unfortunately, I can't argue turbo's with you because I know little to nothing about them. I do however know a lot about how to speak to other people. I'm certainly not perfect at it but I will continue to read more of your posts so I can refine my skills.
I thank you and commend you as well...that was probably the most candid and eloquently worded post I have ever read on here. No need to look further than your own posts for refinement of your skills. In fact I don't believe any further refinement is needed.

In TX we call it like we see it and we don't take any BS off anyone...of course we all carry a gun here so not too many people are anxious to spout BS. We're really not too concerned about feelings...we prefer truth and honesty. Good old Conservative values.

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBark View Post
Where do you get off talking to this guy like this? Holsets are excellent when set up right. I'm running an HE551 right now as a single making 68psi. It spools faster than any BorgWarner I've ran.

If you don't believe me check out my instagram Dixon_Racing. This is the reason cumminsforum is made fun of, too many people who don't know what they're talking about.

I think the OP needs bigger injectors though, it will run a lot better.
Agreed, some dap 7x11s would probabaly be my choice. Not sure why people think a 67/74 would be such a slow spooling turd. Most of those people havent ran a properly specd/fueled larger single

2012 2500 QCSB/Built 6.8L/48RE Swap/Gated Shifter
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:35 PM
Cummins Nut

I didn't see where anybody said slow spooling turd except in your post. The OP claims that a 67/71/16 with 7x.0095's has spool characteristics almost exactly like my 62/65/12 with 7x.010's. And I told him that he was full of it...and in the process hurt some poor guy's feelings in CA and in AZ apparently. I'm still all tore up about that.

It may be a quick spooling turbo for its size with lots of fuel going to it (assuming the weak shaft doesn't break)...but it's not going to outspool my smaller turbo with more fuel going to it. C'mon guys...I feel like I'm in clown world here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode