Fass filter, which elements to use? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 98-02 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fass filter, which elements to use?

My 02 has the FASS fuel pump. I am going to replace the FASS-brand filters, it has two, I believe theres a particulate filter and a water-separator.

The local Dodge/Cummins parts-selling guy says the Fass Filters are not particularly good quality, and that I should use the Fleetrite brand - which he happens to sell - because they are good quality filters.

In my experience, any store with a filter on the shelf will claim their filter is a good quality filter.

My questions is, what brand / filter-number do all the other guys who run the FASS pump use?

Is there a particular brand NOT to use?

And what is the change interval on the filter elements?

Thanks, Jiggseob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:25 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
You need to find out what Fass System you have by looking at the tag. I have an older Fass 150 and the water separation filter was the FS 1001, the 3um Fuel filter is FASS FF-1003. I have FleetGuard filters on my system. The problem I had was the thread housing was the large threading nearly the same diameter of the filter. The newer systems have the smaller inlet so buying blind was an issue. It took looking up the model # of the FASS to determine what filter would fit since my old filter was so old the filter number was difficult to read.

There are a ton of filters that cross reference that will fit in varying degrees of filtration levels and you will need to check. I had a very large list somewhere...Baldwin makes some, Napa branded which are Wix I think.
Fleetguard FS1023
Donaldson P550828
Cim-Tek 70804
Fuel Preporator FP804
Fuel Preporator FP8041
Fuel Preporator WS200

Here is a better thread

And Another for the FASS 150

2001 Dodge 2500 5.9, 24v, NV5600, Valair Duel Disc Organic Clutch, HX35, Rancho 9Ks, Steering Box Brace, Rare Parts Custom Track Bar, Quadzilla Adrenaline, Fass 150, Cooper Discoverer AT3s 315/75/16, Pro Comp Extreme wheels, Tough Country Step Bars, new headlights, tail-lights, power tow mirrors, new fuel sending unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to ledjunkie For This Useful Post:
Clunk (08-14-2019)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:18 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

buy from fass and no one else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

I rubbed the road-crud off the fass-pump, I find no reference to the model number differentiating 95 or 165 or 250 or 290 gph. I did find the decal with Fass Titanium signature series and a serial number. Is there any way to tell the gph rating, or does it matter once I find the thread-size of the filter bases?

I did find that the water separator is a Baldwin BF1212, which the Baldwin catalog says is a 1-14 thread. The fuel filter is a WIX brand with the numbers rubbed off.

I see micron ratings from 2 through 10 microns on fuel filters. I presume the smaller micron rating means cleaner fuel...??

I will take them off and take them to my Fass dealer to cross them up.

I have always regarded Baldwin filters as being top quality, so if my local Baldwin dealer has what I need, I think I will get them from him.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:35 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
Yes, The lower the number the higher level of filtration.

The Titanium Series may or may not need an adapter depending on age. The older models have Red or Blue bases
FASS Filters
NOTE: Titanium Filter Conversion
FF-2003 ( ORDER FWS 3003 and Adapter FSN-2001 )
FF-2010 ( ORDER FWS 3003 and Adapter FSN-2001 )
WS-1001 Pump Base is BLACK ( ORDER FS-1001 )
WS-2001 Pump Base is RED or BLUE ( ORDER FS-2001 )

NOTE: Older Titanium Pump 95/95-1007 and 95/95-1008
Now use Filters FS-2001 and FWS-3003 and FSN-2001 Adapter.

Newer Black based model use different filters. (see link above)

2001 Dodge 2500 5.9, 24v, NV5600, Valair Duel Disc Organic Clutch, HX35, Rancho 9Ks, Steering Box Brace, Rare Parts Custom Track Bar, Quadzilla Adrenaline, Fass 150, Cooper Discoverer AT3s 315/75/16, Pro Comp Extreme wheels, Tough Country Step Bars, new headlights, tail-lights, power tow mirrors, new fuel sending unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode