Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Additional Crankcase Vents?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Kodiak2063 
#1 ·
It is time that I start adding more vents to my case, the "Vent Mod" for the 24v isnt enough anymore. My question is, has anyone done any home made systems out of the valve cover? Drilled and welded elbows in the cover? If so, did you use baffles?

Are there any valve covers out there that have a baffle in them?

2001 24V PPump 31 Degrees Timing
467/83/.90
7x.010"
5 Speed

Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

#2 ·
Wouldn’t be too hard to add a couple of bungs to the valve cover and plumb them to a catch can. You would have to baffle them though, otherwise you’d be draining your catch can quite frequently. There are tappet covers available that have bungs in them to plumb to a catch can. Those are baffled already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
If you're talking about the mopar1973man "vent mod" that isn't really a ventilation improvement. It's just a mod to prevent oil from being pumped out of the PCV on the timing cover.

You can always replace your tappet cover with a 12v tappet cover if you need additional venting.

Otherwise you're gonna end up with holes in the valve cover, and hoses coming off of it going to ground just like the front PCV because it's gonna get oil everywhere. baffles don't stop the oil mist from coming out. turbolvr has vents in his valve cover and hoses running to ground cause without the hoses they make a mess under the hood.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I'm wanting to say you can install a 3rd gen rocker box and valve cover, which ....I believe has a filtered crankcase vent in it as well...along with drain backs for the oil vapor to return.

#7 ·
I used Amsoils bypass oil cap.
Connected a hose to it, then rerouted down the frame rail.
More so to prevent my engine from puking oil on steep downgrades (22° or more, I believe is the numbers)

#8 ·
#11 ·
the standard valve cover is not weldable, all the pictures I saw that had been welded were on are what I believe to be the marine cover (better material). I threaded my fittings in with backer plates, every attempt I made at welding it would crack as soon as it started to cool off, the material that these covers are made out of is total trash.

#10 ·
I drilled a hole in my oil cap, threaded in a barbed fitting, and put one of those "ricer" type breather filters on it.

#13 ·
I have the after market front one from Fleetguard with the oil return to the crankcase. This created a problem at high boost levels with oil coming up the dipstick tube. So I added the 12 valve tappet cover with vent and no more issues and no oil drips and everything is mostly dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.