Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   98.5-02 Performance Parts Discussion (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-performance-parts-discussion/)
-   -   1999 Ram 2500 24v (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-performance-parts-discussion/2499103-1999-ram-2500-24v.html)

cumminsbro2013 04-24-2019 11:55 AM

1999 Ram 2500 24v

Bought a 1999 24v cummins over the weekend for $2000. 161,216 miles Kid locked the Transfer case up and messed up the OD where Transfer case attaches. Bought a Transfer case, and OD for transmission waiting on them to arrive, already had the front and rear driveshafts reworked, as well as new u joints and CV joint. Truck starts just fine, and idles smooth. I notice when I step on the pedal a little it shoots up to 2500 rpm very quick, is this normal? Also what are some recommend upgrades for these trucks?

NCC74656 04-24-2019 03:19 PM

cv joints? our trucks dont have those.

fass lift pump is my first go to - anything to give you more fuel pressure.
get a fuel pressure gage to monitor things as well.
since you have the trans out you should upgrade your planetary gears as the ones from the factory are VERY weak. replace the torque converter with a tripple disk while your at it, the factory one is also very weak. then you should shift kit the valve body so it flows fluid in park, prevents you running on dry clutch packs.

after that you just need to determine if you are going stock power or adding power. that will determine what other upgrades you should get.

Cummin_get-some 04-24-2019 05:39 PM

Nailed all the basics right there ^^. Just watch a triple disc with a stock input, they like to break. But Trans and Fuel Pressure are big ones here. Once those are covered you have a pretty darn reliable truck. As for other upgrades, how much you wanna spend...

cumminsbro2013 04-24-2019 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info! Gonna start off slow minus the fuel, and transmission. This is gonna be my workhorse for the farm, plus the occasional fun at the stoplight lol. Already has a hay bed on it. All I need to do is upgrade the transmission for hauling round bales of hay, and trailers, and then whatever you guys suggest under the hood for all of that.

peanutz 04-24-2019 05:44 PM

i got a tuner new still in box if ya want to juice it up a bit ..... lol

NCC74656 04-24-2019 06:03 PM

ive run a stock input for a while with a billet tripple. before i put compounds on but i broke a couple output with out breaking the intputs. now i have billet on 2 and output is an upgraded but not billet - i wanted a fuse.

Cummin_get-some 04-24-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCC74656 (Post 28964777)
ive run a stock input for a while with a billet tripple. before i put compounds on but i broke a couple output with out breaking the intputs. now i have billet on 2 and output is an upgraded but not billet - i wanted a fuse.

Lol I broke my input when I went compounds too. I tried to leave my output alone but snapped twice trying to launch. So now that's billet too.

Cummin_get-some 04-24-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumminsbro2013 (Post 28964749)
Thanks for the info! Gonna start off slow minus the fuel, and transmission. This is gonna be my workhorse for the farm, plus the occasional fun at the stoplight lol. Already has a hay bed on it. All I need to do is upgrade the transmission for hauling round bales of hay, and trailers, and then whatever you guys suggest under the hood for all of that.

If its just a workhorse id probably just say shift kit and single disc. Then just a edge or a quad. whatever you prefer. I like my quad more.

marco610 04-24-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cummin_get-some (Post 28964781)
If its just a workhorse id probably just say shift kit and single disc. Then just a edge or a quad. whatever you prefer. I like my quad more.

Solid advice^

If you decide you want to grow, there will be more involved with the trans, so it is a good idea to make a end goal before getting into it.

cumminsbro2013 04-25-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cummin_get-some (Post 28964781)

What's a good website for pricing and customer service to buy upgrade parts?

Cummin_get-some 04-25-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumminsbro2013 (Post 28965337)
What's a good website for pricing and customer service to buy upgrade parts?

DAP all day long buddy.

Ryan Curry 04-25-2019 01:58 PM

I have the same year truck and everything and since there was good conversation goin I thought I’d ask my question here instead of starting my own thread my truck has been over boosting for awhile and then I changed my map sensor and the truck started to only boost at around 2k rpms and about a week ago it stop boosting altogether for the most part u less I really get in it then it makes about 10lbs I think my wastegate valve in the turbo is stuck what do all of you think.