Fuel Tank Leak - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Tank Leak

I’ve got a 1996 2500 and my fuel tank has a small leak in the bottom of my tank. It looks like the guy who owned it put some jb weld on the hole but now it’s dripping slowly. I’ve been trying to find a new tank to replace it but haven’t really found one online. Would it just be easier to find a used tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 02:40 AM

Your best bet would be to find a used replacement from a junk yard. Where are you located ?
Do you have specific truck salvage yards, like Pick and Pull in your area ?
How big is the hole ? Is it round or a straight crack type ?
If its round, you can drill through,(use a smaller tapper size drill than what it is called for, because its plastic), then run a machine tap through the hole, then put a machine screw in the threaded hole. If I were going to do that, I would find a VERY thin O ring to put behind the head of the screw, for the actual sealing material.
When that's all complete, clean REAL good with lacquer thinner, THEN put some 2 part epoxy on the head of the screw, and overlap onto the surface of the fuel tank.
If you go that route, check on it every once in a while just to make sure it has not vibrated loose.
Damn I hate plastic !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 03:22 AM
Cummins Fan

Yeah good luck finding a new one I couldn't find one for my 2001. One of the online forums has a parts manual download it and see which tanks fit what you have then go shopping for one. Turned out I wasn't locked into diesel only. just made it easier to find gas or diesel but still not easy though. My old tank where the leak was I put in a sump, and now it's a leak free (2 wheel drive the sump and hose just hangs down too low for my liking...you can have my old tank if you want, if you live close because can't ship. I was told it's as has to be shipped as hazardous materials. Would cost lots to ship. Post your city, if you're close I'll respond. And you pick up.

Anybody remember which online Forum has the parts manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,351 Posts
Tanks should be the same for gas and diesel, just e modules are different. Should be fairly easy to find at a junkyard with a fresh 2500 or 3500 the same cab and bed length. They may even fit 94 to 02. Also there is a glue now from 3M or Loctite that works as an etched weld on plastic. I think it is called Plastic-weld. It will be on the same rack and other sealers and JB in a parts store. It worked on my dash cracks.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:33 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,351 Posts
You did not mention bed length or location but here is one near Sacramento. Clean dry and module removed and open may be shipable.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pt...029486186.html

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode