SMH...The way this truck rides! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
SMH...The way this truck rides!

All I can do is continue to shake my head. Little back story... I had the front end rebuilt on my 100k mile 2wd. Only thing original/factory is the lower control arms and lower ball joints. The front end feels soooo loose. At times it feels as if the front driver wheel is going to fall off when hitting a bump. But isnít felt in the steering wheel. Had a shop look over it twice now and they claim they canít find anything out of tolerance. Crazy thing is, on the highway it handles the road much better than driving around town. This truck has so much potential but if I cant get past this issue she is go up for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,329 Posts
Not sure what you are saying, Is it stock or not? What parts were actually replaced? Tire pressure? Look for play in steering gear. Should move tight with the steering wheel. May be adjusted or replaced.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
Not sure what you are saying, Is it stock or not? What parts were actually replaced? Tire pressure? Look for play in steering gear. Should move tight with the steering wheel. May be adjusted or replaced.

Upper control arms, upper ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, shocks, and sway bar end links were all replaced. Steering seems to be tight. No play in the wheel. The movement and feeling is under the left foot in the floor board. Tire pressure Iíve been playing with. From 45 up to 60. At the current moment Iím at 50 pounds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

I want to mention as well. When I first did the work. I replaced the shocks with Monroe Magnums. And on the ride home I had that driver side shock blow out on a huge bump in the road going 55 mph. That side bottomed out and have no doubt it hit bump stop. Pretty violent. I replaced both new Monroeís with Blistiens. And since the blow out is when this issue started. Prior to that shock blowing out. There was no issue. Idk if itís related, but since then the trans dipstick is really vibrating. Really vibrating

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:31 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,329 Posts
How about lower control arm bushings, ball joint or wheel bearings? Shock mount?

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
How about lower control arm bushings, ball joint or wheel bearings? Shock mount?

Bushing donít look terrible, ball joint has zero play in it. Wheel bearing hmmmmm. Last time I checked it it was fine but I have notice a humming noise lately

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Anyone?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Diesel Freak

If you hit a bump hard enough to blow a shock then I think you better be having a good look at the whole front end including looking for cracks in the frame .
Seeing you are feeling this through the floor, also cab mounts and engine mounts.

86 F350 CC dually, RTO610, 3.32 final gears 93 5.9 (ex F600) basically stock,THD pin, Aftermarket AFC spring, re-set injectors. tuning in progress
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduck59 View Post
If you hit a bump hard enough to blow a shock then I think you better be having a good look at the whole front end including looking for cracks in the frame .
Seeing you are feeling this through the floor, also cab mounts and engine mounts.

I have notice the truck ďbuckingĒ when I put it in gear now. Iím wondering if itís the trans mount. I did read there is supposed to be some movement

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

I guess the term is called ďlurchingĒ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode