Failing CA Smog Test, Looking for Some Guidance - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Failing CA Smog Test, Looking for Some Guidance

So, I'm about a month past due on my registration and have to smog my CA emissions compliant 2001 with auto trans. as required in my county biennially, via CA DMV to get my new tags. Tested it twice back in August, at two separate locations in town with the same result... truck doesn't communicate with the BAR-OIS interface via the OBD2 port, won't initialize. Checked for power at the OBD2 port with my scan tool at home and it worked fine. No check engine light... I was able to check monitors, codes, etc. without incident.

Scheduled an appointment with the Smog Ref who inspected the vehicle and failed it due to apparent tampering of the wiring to the APPS and injection pump, recommended it be put back to factory trade standards and diagnose the no-communication issue.

Took it in to have the above issues addressed, Star Cert. test & repair facility. Decent guys, fairly comfortable with their level of communication, effort, attention to detail and so on. They're diagnosis was a bad PCM. I ordered a refurb with my correct VIN and accurate mileage programmed. Verified the correct part no. given my truck is CA compliant...

After replacing the PCM, truck still wouldn't communicate with OIS. So they performed a PCM/ECM flash update and according to said shop the truck now would communicate with OIS, but it is now providing "invalid data".

Other than an old K&N CARB EO certified reusable air cleaner and intake, and a Banks Monster Exhaust with 6" dia. tip the truck is mechanically stock. She does have airbags above the rear leafs and a brake controller, likely installed by the previous owner.

Brought her home last Thursday, no check engine light, (MIL) and she runs/drives great, just won't pass smog. Checked for codes and monitor readiness and everything looks good. Took her in on Friday to have it smogged again, (different location from the shop mentioned above) so I can schedule a follow-up with the Smog Ref and get a repair cost waiver, (2 year extension) since at this point I've exceeded the cost threshold by a factor of almost 3:1.

The truck failed again, (as expected) but the technician's notes on their summary indicated that it failed because the truck wouldn't communicate with OIS... So I'm out of ideas. The aforementioned Star Cert. shop said their next suggestion would be to replace the ECM with a new factor direct part and see where that goes. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas? My next step is going to be sell the truck out of state at this rate! There's zero drive-ability issues. Thanks for your consideration!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,409 Times in 1,340 Posts
Don't know why they told you to replace the PCM in the first place. The pcm does not control fuel or engine in any way. That is all done by the ECM(engine control module). Now that is not to say there is anything wrong with anything, but WTH are you going to do. Another individual lately had similar problems and after putting everything to stock had to do about 20 cold starts and about 500 miles to clear everything and pass test. Thread was just active last week here or powertrain room above. Find it and talk to him.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 PM

I had a similar issue trying to smog my '02 24v with the obd2 sensor not communicating. 3 shops all told me different things needed to be replaced. After hours of searching, I found a forum post that said federal trucks (not manufactured for CA originally) would not communicate with the smog machine.

I took it back to the smog shop that previously told me it wouldn't communicate with this info, it was a different tech this time and he confirmed this document below and passed me. I saved it in my email for next time I need to get smogged.

Search for the pdf document " Smog Check OBD Reference Guide 2019" the first 2 results should be from .gov ca sites. I can't post the direct link because I just created an account to reply to you.

Look on page 12 of the document ( page 14 if viewing the pdf) at the section for dodge.

To confirm your truck if a federal truck, look at the timing case on the driver's side for a metal tag that states its a 49 state engine. It should be above the connection for the puke bottle, mine was covered in grease.

Hope this helps.

from document:

"Table 4 below includes 2000 and newer model-year gasoline and flex-fuel vehicles (and 1998 and newer diesel vehicles) that have
an issue with the OBD test portion of an OIS inspection. Issues include but are not limited to: no communication with vehicle,
incomplete readiness monitors, OBD test incompatibility, and false MIL illumination. In most cases, the OIS inspection may be tuned
to accommodate vehicles with a design anomaly or the vehicle may require repair."

and

from page 12,
Instruction to the inspector:
Test normally
BAR-OIS will ignore
incomplete continuous
monitors. If the vehicle fails
to communicate, use the
result of the bulb check for
the overall result of the
OBD Test if the analyzer
offers this option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:13 AM
Diesel Head

I was lucky to have an older knowledgable smog tech to give me some good info about the federal vs CA. Glad it worked out for you too.

01 Sport 4x, Quad w/ V2, Smarty, PhatShaft 62/65/14, 4" turbo back, FASS, Amsoil, 100hp DFI's, TunnelRam, H2 alloys, 5" lift, HD steering, Posi-Lok, Inglewood Trans w/ billet parts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:43 AM
Cummins Nut

were u able to get it smogged?

2002 ECSB 4x4 DTT Auto,Edge Comp,AFE, BD Turbo,3.53 w/ 305 tires on 15in rim, STRt Pipe,gauges..Fass 90gph Redhead steer box, BD steer brace, synthetic oils, Transferflo 70gal, JL box under bench, Big Truck Batteries 750CCA, Dash Cam
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 02:20 AM

All fellows on this posting, I too am having the same problem. Mine is a 2001 CALIFORNIA, second gen truck. It has only 85,000 miles on it. All started when both batteries completely died. Only 3 Monitors for our trucks, 1. Fuel, 2. Fuel Misfire, and 3. Comprehensive. First 2 Monitors DID complete, but the "Comprehensive" will NOT. As of 30 November 2019, my extension has run out with DMV.
Dodge dealer said to run the truck between 600 to 1200 miles. I have about 2,000 on it now, and Comprehensive still has NOT completed. Dodge dealer also said there is no flash update available for my truck.
After batteries died, charged both batteries overnight. Started next morning, WITHOUT any problems, or CEL. Old batteries were about 8 years old, and when cranking, gave about 10.5 volts. Changed out both batteries to new high grade Napa brand batteries.
Have changed the MAP sensor, but just threw away $100, because it didn't change anything or to get that last comprehensive monitor to complete.
Have done different "Drive Cycles", but still nothing to correct, or solve this problem.
Any other, or new ideas to try ?
Thanks for your help.
Peter
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:28 PM

Well, it passed !
I installed a Banks engine exhaust brake. Someone, somewhere, mentioned, "Remove the plug from the little controller unit from where is is mounted, under the dash, next to the steering wheel."
The only thing I did differently :Removed the plug, and drove it for, maybe 6 miles. Came home, and just for $hits and grins, checked with the code reader, and Wa-la, "All monitors completed" ! I damn near kissed the truck !
So, another fuel efficient oil engine saved from "Those people" at the Bay Area Air Quality Management Board !
Remember this if a fellow CTD owner is having problems with (Those damn ) Monitors !
Thanks to you all who tried to help.
Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to hydrodiesel For This Useful Post:
plumber802 (12-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode