Strange a/c problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Strange a/c problem

My a/c is acting up, it cools but it takes 15 miles or 15 to 20 minutes to get there!!! I have a thermometer in the vent, it will get down to 55 to 57 degrees. I checked the freon and it is fine. Replaced the compressor and dryer and some lines 4 years ago(about) Got a leak and replaced the evaperator core last year. The only thing I havent replaced is the condenser. Any ideas or help is appreciated. It also seems to blow colder when I am on a back road going slow?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 PM

It's probably taking the 10 to 15 miles for the fan clutch to catch. If I first leave work and hit the stop light within 5 miles of my office, my ac pressure will sky rocket and the high pressure switch will cut the compressor out. I live in PHX and it was 113 today. If I get the green light instead, the truck will get up to temp and the clutch will kick in so the pressure never gets up. Theoretically, you could replace the high pressure switch, install a trinary switch and wire a electric pusher fan which would kick in such instances. The fan wouldn't be on during highway speeds.

I've never done that because I'm too lazy to care and my ac gets really cold after so it would only be useful for that first few miles.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:14 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,362 Times in 1,294 Posts
Sounds low on fluid. Have it professionally checked at an AC shop. They do not charge much to check and charge.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:51 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Last time i measured my vent temps, was on a day in the low 90s, direct sun all day, idling...and 45F at the center vents.
2017 company Ram was 42F at the vents, parked right beside me.
You system definitely is not at optimal performance

2001 2500 5spd, 4" straight pipe, fass titanium series, mach1.6 injectors, CAI, adrenaline, southbend dual-friction, 2011 fto wheels
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:01 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Run it and see if you can hear the ac Clutch locking up.

If it's kicking in/out there's two causes. Either you are low on refrigerant and the pressure switch is forcing it to shut off, or the filter/dryer is plugged and freezing up. Give it seems to cool better when going slow I'd lean towards the filter/dryer end of things.

To also note, a system that is overcharged will freeze up intermittently as well. There is a temp sensor on the filter/dryer for that very reason.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1999 Ram 2500 QCLB - SO 24V in front of NV4500 and SB DD 3250. Fresh rebuild with ARP studs, CR head, 150HP F1s, Raptor 100, Quadzilla Adrenaline and HX35/S475 (1.10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode