Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Double Din Install in 2nd gen ram

36K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Hawaii_kO_rO 
#1 ·
Here is a few pics of my double din install using the kit from Amazon.

#5 ·
Finally got for up, and decided to cut out the top area inside the radio cubby hole.
Honestly believe, ignore the instructions...and cut the top out first.

#7 ·
Radio kept hitting this metal piece.
Local audio shop said they cut that out to make radios for, even on newer vehicles. Which, is insane..that is a structural member.
So
.cut out the top area above the radio, radio can then tilt the 1/8" it needs to be picked up over the metal bracket.
Which also tells me, you can probably leave all the lower plastic in place

Attachments

#8 ·
Up close shot of the faceplate that allows it to work.
I'm perfectly happy with how it fit the contours of the stock dash trim.
And 100x's easier than trying to plastic weld/or use bondo to allow a double din to work, like used to be done before there was this kit

Attachments

#10 ·
doesnt look bad at all...i had a standard bezel, i would do the same. But i wont cut my wood trim bezel. if i decide to redo the door panel spears, i may paint the whole wood bezel.

#11 ·
I just my double din in with that kit a few days ago. I actually wrote a very opinionated e-mail/review to the company about how much more plastic actually has to be removed like the upper portion. Just glad I'm not the only one with that problem.

#12 ·
Yeah I have a wood bezel and don't wanna damage it :-( I would love a double din CarPlay radio though.

#13 ·
You don't remove as much as you would think from the overlay and it comes with a decent looking beauty ring. After a double din install, why would you ever want to go back:hehe:

#14 · (Edited)
I recently installed the Alpine iLX-F309 in my 1998.5. There are some cons to it but overall I'm happy esp having Carplay and a big 9" screen. Side benefit is being able to use Google Maps and the satellite imagery. Carplay is worth the price and all other negatives IMO.
If I knew about this install kit ahead of time I probably would've gone that direction but the Alpine sticking out a bit doesn't bother me any. My previous radio was a Kenwood flipup and that worked OK for 10 years before it just got too outdated (Sirius radio wasn't supporting all channels available).

#16 ·
#18 ·
Here's my install. I think I want to pull the raio forward slightly. I also reprogrammed the start up/splash screen:grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: ELY
#19 ·
Same boat...I got the wood bezel too. it's tempting to cut. That metal bit inside the dash behind the bezel wouldn't be an issue for the Sony radio I have in mind. Most of the radio fits like a single din on the top half. Screen is the only thing that takes up the 2nd din and just where the screen is.

#20 ·
Has anyone here used a double din radio for quadzilla gauges?

#21 ·
some have tried. it doesn't usually work very well. not that the phones work well either. bluetooth was never a perfectly reliable standard, and the connection issues to the iquad make it worse.

Also android auto and apple car play are not compatible with iquad app.

#22 ·
That's what I figured. Thanks.

#23 ·
I have the same Sony radio in my 96, it just sticks out a bit but requires NO cutting of plastic and can be reversed or updated in minutes. Very happy with this choice

#26 ·
With a little work you can do a Ipad instead of a double din

#29 ·
Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part Luxury vehicle

I mentioned earlier that I chose to install the Alpine F309 instead of trying to install a double din and thought I'd post a pic. I'm very happy with it even though it sticks out in front of the dash a inch or so. It is a massive 9" display which I love. Installation was straightforward and love Carplay and it doesn't block anything else on the dash. I've purchased the accessory to allow a additional screen to show light switches, etc but haven't found time to install it yet. Just another option if you don't want to hack the bezel up but still want more of the features a double din offers.

#30 ·
View attachment 849487

I mentioned earlier that I chose to install the Alpine F309 instead of trying to install a double din and thought I'd post a pic. I'm very happy with it even though it sticks out in front of the dash a inch or so. It is a massive 9" display which I love. Installation was straightforward and love Carplay and it doesn't block anything else on the dash. I've purchased the accessory to allow a additional screen to show light switches, etc but haven't found time to install it yet. Just another option if you don't want to hack the bezel up but still want more of the features a double din offers.
Holy Crap that is large, and expensive. Here I am wanting to get away with a $200 CarPlay receiver…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.