Fueling Issues (Bad Fuel Pump? Bad VP44?) - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:44 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The lift pump is the technical name for what we've been calling the fuel pump. They are the same thing.

It was originally located on the engine block right next to the fuel filter, but, because of the many failures of that pump, a different type pump was retrofitted and integrated into the fuel tank module. This new pump supposedly put out a lower pressure but a higher volume. It also had a relay associated with it and the relay is controlled by the same wires that the ECM originally fed to the original fuel pump. This takes a major load off of the ECM.

It and the injection pump (VP44) are the only pumps associated with fuel.

2002 2500 4X4, 6 spd, Tow and Camper Pkgs, RV 275s, BHAF, Walbro GSL392 pump (old school), half-in lines, Gen 3 wheels and brakes, gauges, 2009 steering, Borgeson box and shaft, steering brace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Well then I have replaced both pumps and I'm still getting no fuel.. so something with my wiring has got to be screwed up. Thank you for clarifying that for me though!
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,405 Times in 1,336 Posts
Crack a banjo fitting on the intake side of the injection pump and bump the starter. If you get fuel squirting out around it the VP44 is bad. If not you have an electrical or lift pump issue. Remember you said you have a code fro a bad VP44, it is likely correct.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I replaced the VP44 and the code went away. I already tried bleeding the system. Nothing comes out and the pump doesn't turn on..
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Ryan, have you tried supplying the lift pump (in the tank) with 12 volts to see if it will run on its own? That way you can isolate and just confirm you have a working lift pump. If it does run, then sounds like wirring/connections are bad OR the ecm is not commanding it to turn on. A quick way to see if ecm is booting up is that when you turn the key to the on postion (not cranking) the wait to start light on the intrument cluster should light up immediately. If it is delayed comming on or doesnt come on at all, you likely have an ecm issue. It sounds like you need to start over and recheck all your work, checking battery connections, all grounds, and by confirming the replacement parts are in working order. It is not uncommon to get parts bad out of the box. I hope you can get it figured out soon!

02' 2500 5.9L 24v ext cab sb 4x4
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Also do you have any current codes stored in the ecm since you have cleared them? This may also cause the ecm to not command the lift pump

02' 2500 5.9L 24v ext cab sb 4x4
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I'm gonna run power to the pump and see if it will turn on. If it doesn't I'm gonna replace another pump I guess. But if it does I'm gonna rig up a switch for the time being. And I have one code. It's for a low curcuit b to the throttle positioning sensor. But that has been there since I got the truck. I'm just gonna try the whole power thing and go from there. I know there is power to part of the pump because it still reads the fuel amount and my distance to empty.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

And I also was thinking maybe ecm but everything works as it should. All the lights come on right away. Just still kinda confused on everything but I'm gonna try the 12 volts to the pump
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:24 AM
Cummins Fanatic

@RyanDavy5 Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue going on. Lmk

2001 qcsb 4x4, Revmax Trans, Edge EZ, 2" Level, 20" Monsters,Isspro EV2 FP Gauge, FRRP, BHAF, Timbo apps https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...uild-pics.html
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 03:04 AM

I had "Issues" with my lift pumps. Most made by the Carter pump co, but sometimes Cummins would put their name on the unit. Personally I do not care for the "In the tank" lift pumps, as they are not readily service available.
New lift pump is a FASS, (For my 2001) manufactured especially for the VP44 pumps. Mounted it back where the original Carter units were placed. To be able to get to it, just remove the 2 hold down bolts, and gently pull aside the fuel filter, THEN you have access to it. Actually I bought 2. 1 to install, and keep one in the back under the seat. Why ? Because you never know when the thing is going to go bad, and 99% of the time, it WON'T be in your driveway !
"If" you do have problems with your Injection pump. The owner at Blue Chip Diesel REALLY know these pumps. Very knowledgeable fellow. I think his name is Chip. I bought one from him. Very happy with it. Just be careful reinstalling the pulley, that you get that little key way right over the key slot.
How do you know the little fine mesh screen that is part of the pick up unit is not plugged ?
Guess you have been there before with dropping the tank ?
Good luck !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode