Backup camera system suggestions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Backup camera system suggestions

Any suggestions on a decent backup camera system? All the ones I've been looking at don't seem to fit the job.

I'd like to be able to see the hitch ball when hooking up. License plate frame cameras won't cut it due to the bumper ledge and the ball is 6" below that. I need something that mounts up higher and looks down. A temporary magnetic mount would be OK.

I'd also like to mount a camera on the back of the trailer. My depth perception isn't that great and when I use the right mirror to backup, the "smaller objects" mirror makes it hard.

I'm leaning towards hardwired because most reviews on cameras say the wireless is poor, and it would be even worse going back another 20' to the end of the trailer.

2001 2500 QCSB, 5.9 HO, 6spd, 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Stupid thought, but why not extend your hitch a few inches more and get a license plate cam? You should be able to angle it down just enough to see the hitch.

Agreed on the hardwire. I have yet to see wireless cameras that actually hold their own with regards to reception and bandwidth

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

1999 Ram 2500 QCLB - SO 24V in front of NV4500 and SB DD 3250. Fresh rebuild with ARP studs, CR head, 150HP F1s, Raptor 100, Quadzilla Adrenaline and HX35/S475 (1.10)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
My grandfather used a mirror on a clamp, just stuck it on when needed. Kiss right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2008 6.7 2500 4x4 Auto 3.73
2000 5.9 3500 4x4 Auto 4.10 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I actually just did what you want to do. I used a license plate mount camera. With it, I can see the top of the ball on my 8" drop hitch, but also easily see my no drop hitch for our travel trailer well. My radio has a fold out screen and two video inputs. I wired the backup camera on the truck to a switch instead of coming on with reverse lights. Then the second input, I'm using it to go to the camera I installed in the bumper of my travel trailer. I just plug in these connections when I hook up the trailer wiring. The camera is always powered on when the trailer is hooked up so I can just switch between inputs on the radio.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:52 PM
Diesel Head

I have a license plate frame camera and a drop hitch, works just great for hooking up. It's connected to my Edge CTS monitor, comes on in reverse or I can manually 'view camera' at any time. I can back up to hook up in one shot.

04 QCSB 4x4 auto 2500 HP Tuner -by Firepunk/Fass 150/ II 62/474/48re Goerend- by Heath @ Hot Rod Diesel, ARP 425's / 3.5"T.G.C.lift w/steering upgrade/ TOYO CT's 35's/ PRXB PAC exhaust brake/ Projector retrofit TRS

'12 TDI Jetta 6spd.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Cummins Nut

I just mounted my camera at the top of my license plate and it shows the hitch ball perfectly. I used this camera:

It's easy to fabricate a mount for it out of perforated hanging strap. Just be careful that that tailgate won't hit it when you lower it.

My post about installing the double-din navigation/backup-cam head unit:
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/25549586-post496.html

1998.5 24v 5spd 4x4 ClubCab. BHAF. 4" Banks Brake/Power Elbow/Monster exhaust. Raptor 100. Frantz filter. Westach gauges. Cooper ATP 265/70/17 on 4th-gen Laramie alloys. RedHead steering/Borgeson shaft/DSS. Rancho 9000. MaxxLinks. Rustoleum paint. 275k miles.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:14 PM
Western WA President

Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,417 Posts
i have the license place one too, wired to fold out screen in dash nav..

but my reverse lights don't come on with my truck in reverse, have those on a switch cause the transmissions not quite right and doesn't engage reverse light switches even when replaced 3 times and brand new...

so dash switch for that, but camera comes on with my running lights. pulled power from one of my license plate lights so just need to turn on marker lights and the camera is on.

00 24v powered by the high performance "53" block and "Unicorn Injectors" 576hp/1285tq 8/10/2013
2004 Jetta TDI 5spd Malone S1 + dyn EGR/idle tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon16 View Post
my truck is literally full of Panties already...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
I'll admit, I was sitting here giggling like a little girl
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have the license plate mount as well but I can't see the ball when it's adjusted all the way down on my 8" drop hitch. Thankfully most of the trailers I use require the ball to be higher so it hasn't really been an issue.

2001 Ram QC SLT 4X4 5.9/AT(Built) BHAF, Pusher, FASS150, 4" DP, 5" Aussies, built transmission, GS gauges, steering brace, EJWA-CTS2, BD Stealth cover, turnbuckle mod, Fire Truck horn, 4th gen tow mirrors, 3rd gen brakes, switchbacks, high/3cyl switch.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:21 AM

I tried a couple of backup camera kits (wired and wireless) they weren't very sharp and monitor had to be mounted in bad location .. So I bought a new stereo with pop out 7" screen , it has a very good clear screen , it had backup input and another video input so I have 2 cameras hooked up (1 backup and 1 mounted high) ...

2001 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 QCLB SLT Laramie, 102k KM
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

keep fingers crossed and maybe one day you will get an answer to the question you asked and not the one they had answers for, lol. I too want a decent and cheap wired camera for the truck and for the trailer (two cameras, one screen). I have heard that the $30 ones on Amazon or similar are not worth the bother.

98.5 2500 Extended cab, long bed, 4x4, manual 5-speed.
Edge CS2 31400. FASS 150. 4 inch pipe. Bigger input shaft and output nut, heavy duty clutch, new tranny.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:15 AM

wireless backup camera system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait2Start View Post
Any suggestions on a decent backup camera system? All the ones I've been looking at don't seem to fit the job.

I'd like to be able to see the hitch ball when hooking up. License plate frame cameras won't cut it due to the bumper ledge and the ball is 6" below that. I need something that mounts up higher and looks down. A temporary magnetic mount would be OK.

I'd also like to mount a camera on the back of the trailer. My depth perception isn't that great and when I use the right mirror to backup, the "smaller objects" mirror makes it hard.

I'm leaning towards hardwired because most reviews on cameras say the wireless is poor, and it would be even worse going back another 20' to the end of the trailer.
I suggest you to go with a digital wireless backup camera system, which is specific to its own transmitter and receiver in a way to protect against interference. most reviews on camera say that wireless is poor is because they use analog wireless reverse camera. I bought this digital reversing camera system from this vendor on my truck, so far so good. you can also adjust camera angle for better hitching. this is more information from this vendor :
brakelightcamera.com/product-category/wireless-backup-cameras/
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytruck View Post
keep fingers crossed and maybe one day you will get an answer to the question you asked and not the one they had answers for, lol. I too want a decent and cheap wired camera for the truck and for the trailer (two cameras, one screen). I have heard that the $30 ones on Amazon or similar are not worth the bother.
I answered the question exactly as he asked it, I'm not sure what the confusion is. Since you seem to need some more handholding, here's a pic of my setup, which does show the hitch ball and as you can see I have a 6" drop hitch.

So I have given a link to the camera that works, and how to fabricate your own mount ABOVE the license plate to get the correct angle. What more do you need?

As for the trailer camera, that's just extremely basic wiring and a switch on the dash to select between them. That's common sense. A 2-way video switchbox would simplify the wiring even more.

brooklyn 12 likes this.

1998.5 24v 5spd 4x4 ClubCab. BHAF. 4" Banks Brake/Power Elbow/Monster exhaust. Raptor 100. Frantz filter. Westach gauges. Cooper ATP 265/70/17 on 4th-gen Laramie alloys. RedHead steering/Borgeson shaft/DSS. Rancho 9000. MaxxLinks. Rustoleum paint. 275k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode