New wiper motor or switch stopped working - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
98.5-02 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 98-02 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New wiper motor or switch stopped working

2002 Ram 2500

My wipers were sketchy for a while, sometimes working sometimes not, then they failed totally. I replaced the motor and the multiswitch figuring it was one or the other and they would both fail eventually since it is a going on 13+ years old.

With the new motor and switch installed but not connected to the wiper connecting arms I switched the wipers to the low setting. Nothing happened. I rotated the motor shaft slightly and it started working.

Before I installed the wiper arms I tested the motor and switch and everything worked great. Intermittent delay settings, low, high and off and the connecting arm on the motor shaft would return to the stop position when turned off.

I put the arms on to do a final test and unfortunately I put them in the wrong position. When I turned on the wipers they moved to a point where the mechanism was binding and stopped. I quickly turned off the wiper switch and the ignition.

I removed the wiper arms and tried running just the motor again but it would not move. No sound or movement. I rotated the motor shaft about 30 degrees or so and tried again. Nothing. Another 30 degrees several times and still nothing. I checked the 25 amp wiper fuse in the cab and swapped out a known good relay for the wiper relay, still nothing.

So what happened? I can't imagine the motor burned up that quickly. I have had frozen wipers before in the winter and the motor didn't burn up even though the switch was left on for more than 30 seconds. This was on maybe 5 seconds at the most.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to get these wipers running by Friday or I will have to rent a car for a planned trip.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by geezerhood; 01-27-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,250 Posts
fuse? 12234

This is not my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-road View Post
fuse? 12234
As noted in the original post, I checked the 25 amp wiper fuse in the cab and the wiper relay in the engine compartment.

Is there another fuse that is related to wiper function I am not aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Diesel Head

have you checked for power and grounds at the connector for the motor?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 PM
Diesel Head

Possibly a bad reman.

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Both parts are new, but one or both could still be bad I suppose. My meter battery is dead so I can't check continuity or voltage at the motor or the switch but will do so as soon as I can.

Thanks for the tips so far.

Don
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 PM
There is no spoon

Geezer,

Rotate the motor on around some. Look at the FSM pages attached. The CTM is probably not seeing the park sense return from the motor and allowing the rest to start up. The circuit is just lost, so it won't restart. Or the park switch in the motor has fubared. ( edit: snap watch out for the wiper motor relay.... didn't see that till just now.)

GL HTH

Hag
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2001 FSM Ram 8w-53-2.pdf (177.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: pdf 2001 FSM Ram 8w-53-3.pdf (161.3 KB, 125 views)

2001 QCLB (01.5) 4x4 NV4500, 3.55, 299k, FRRP, 98/99 HD, DOR HD Track bar, borgeson, VDO and Autometer Boost,pyro,FP Manual CAD. 285/75 on ARE Nitros
2001 QCSB 4x2 slushbox. 122k Stock (boost ga only atm)
99 K1500 300,000 SUBURBASAURUS FEDERALLY MANDATED ETHANOL ENRICHED.... 2 96 IMPALA SS(HIS AND HERS)
94 K1500 210,000 SUBURBASAURUS
2-97's K1500 & K2500 6.5 VIN F SUBURBASAURUS Jamie's & Kris'

Last edited by Haggar; 01-28-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: IM stooopid
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Geezer,

Rotate the motor on around some. Look at the FSM pages attached. The CTM is probably not seeing the park sense return from the motor and allowing the rest to start up. The circuit is just lost, so it won't restart. Or the park switch in the motor has fubared. ( edit: snap watch out for the wiper motor relay.... didn't see that till just now.)

GL HTH

Hag
Hag,

Does the wiper switch need to be on or off when I slowly rotate the motor? Ignition on or off? Battery connected or disconnected?

I rotated the motor shaft clockwise (looking down at the shaft) slowly several full turns with the wiper switch set to low and the ignition on. Nothing happened. It doesn't want to rotate counterclockwise so I didn't try that.

With the wiper switch set to intermittent I can hear the relay in the engine compartment clicking on and off. I also tried rotating it slowly with the switch set to intermittent, but nothing happens to the motor.

What does your comment "watch out for the the wiper motor relay" mean?

Can I check the park sense return switch somehow with a meter on the correct terminal?

Can I check the motor function with a 12v manual input to the right terminal?

FYI, I have no clue what the various terminals are on the connector to the motor to do any checking with a meter or voltage.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:47 PM
There is no spoon

Geezer,

Do you see the attachments that are there? These will help you figure out the wiring. (I am assuming you can see them.)

Good that you hear the "clicking" that would be the relay that you should "watch for."

The clicking tells us that the multifunction switch, is telling the CTM to begin timing. The CTM is timing, and telling the relay to energize.

What we don't know is if the the signal is getting through the park switch back to the multifunction switch and back to the motor.

The schematic makes me think that at some point of motor rotation, terminal 3 (Dark Blue) and terminal 2 (Dark Green) will be continuous. Then 180 degrees from that terminal 2 will connect to the ground (black) wire (no terminal number, is this separate from the connector?) (but notice while they have terminal dots, there are also parts of circles. SO, it could be that terminal 3 is continuous to 2 for about 220 degrees and to ground for the other 140.)

This is where the problem may have come in..... according to the schematic, that wire can be full hot or ground depending on motor position and relay state..... So turning the motor then powering the system could have caused the problem.

Start there, then check for voltage (12v+) at 87 (all the time) and 87a only when the relay is energized.

HTH

Hag

2001 QCLB (01.5) 4x4 NV4500, 3.55, 299k, FRRP, 98/99 HD, DOR HD Track bar, borgeson, VDO and Autometer Boost,pyro,FP Manual CAD. 285/75 on ARE Nitros
99 K1500 300,000 SUBURBASAURUS FEDERALLY MANDATED ETHANOL ENRICHED.... 2 96 IMPALA SS(HIS AND HERS)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I got my multi-meter working today and started testing all the leads going in to the motor. Several of the terminals showed 12 volts so I knew power was at the motor. I found that the black ground line that is attached to the spade lug on the motor housing has an intermittent break in continuity somewhere on the engine side of the cowling. I checked from the connector and through the insulation back about 10 inches with no ground there. I have to drive 8 miles of washboard and rocks every day which could explain why it was intermittent previously, and then finally gave up completely.

When I added a new ground wire straight off the lug on the motor, bypassing the black wire coming in, and attached it to a good body metal ground, everything worked correctly. Will that be OK or should I run a longer wire to some other ground spot? Does that black wire do something besides completing the ground circuits in the motor?

The original switch is fine, so I put that back in. The original motor is really slow and sounds pretty tired so I kept the new motor installed.

Let me know if I need to replace that black wire all the way to the source ( I am assuming it is somewhere on the engine side fuse / relay box) or if my ground wire replacement to the frame will be OK.

Thanks for all the tips from everyone. Not having wipers was getting really annoying, not to mention dangerous.

Last edited by geezerhood; 01-28-2015 at 05:47 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Diesel Head

If it's working, I wouldn't worry about it, however I would tie it in with the ground you made..... Depending on where it lost ground you might have other things not working because of it..... By back feeding ground they should work again.

That being said the best fix is to replace it to the point that it has a good connection again.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:00 PM
There is no spoon

Geezer,

Off road is right. That ground just goes to G100 which is a common ground for a bunch of stuff. It is on the driver's side under/near the battery.

You can ground it anywhere.

Glad you found it.

Hag

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode