Cummins Diesel Forum banner

48RE shift kit install (47RE also)

48K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  partier 
#1 ·
anyone want to see a SUPERIOR shift 48RE shift kit install ??

#2 ·
2004 48RE with TV cable
this kit can be used from 2003 to 2007 as long as it is the 48RE valve body

the customer just wanted improved performance from his trans and a little better for towing, this kit is going to be install right out of the box no tips or tricks extras or all out performance. That is all the customer wanted . Next time I do one if it is different I will post updates.

#3 ·

shift kit I know it says 2005 and newer but it fits all 48RE valve bodies

48RE VB

47RE VB

govenor block and solenoids removed

boost valve cover and shuttle valve cover removed , rooster comb pressure regulator and switch valve removed

#4 ·

all screws removed and seperate into 3 pieces

don't lose this little ball

main body 7 check balls

one large six small

little jig included in kit to cut a channel in the manual valve bore

channel cut

bottom of pressure reg bore scribe a line

line

remove plug and drill .055" hole
reinstall plug after cleaning

#5 ·

new TV valve line up, valve and spring included in kit

assembled

remove TV limit body

switch out spring from kit

remove cover

remove shuttle valve , spring and plug... replace red spring with white from kit

installing clip on shuttle valve

replace boost valve clip and cover with new cover supplied
clips LOVE to break and the new cover has an updated orfice size

installed

dissasemble channel plate section of VB
notice 2 check balls the one on the lower right corner was missing (snow plow trans) customer was complaining of a rude revers .. this was the problem just put in a check ball softens up reverse engagment a bit

drill small hole to .109" to speed up revese engagment a bit

drill .109" I think this speeds up 3rd apply

drill .055" helps with LU apply I sometimes go bigger but on a 48RE it may "POP" a bit if you do or if you have a low stall converter it may "POP" a bit as well

reassemble don't forget filter also try to line up the holes as best you can

check balls notice one left out
notice guide bolts (cut off filter screws)

drop channel plate over guide pins, install small check ball , I like to glue it in with a dab of assembly grease

plate over guide pins

upper VB on guide pins

one screw has a different washer in it

goes here, reinstall the rest of the screws

#7 ·

tube with tabs bent over

pressure regulator valve and switch valve

springs blue spring is from shift kit

this is pressure regulator spring retainer in the stock position

adjusted as per shift kit , the blue spring is much stiffer this adjustment is a higher line pressure than the stock setup

#8 ·

installed

I usually install the TV rod and rooster comb before the pressure reg but I got distracted
the manual valve was supplied in the kit

stock govenor body

modded

BW gov solenoid on right stock on left

better pic

installed see the clearance for oil to properly circulate

clip plugs in upside down with the BW solenoid so make sure the wire has slack and the connector is out of the way of the bracket

better

metal rings supplied installed on accumulator
pink spring supplied in kit , grey is stock

orfice cup plug for accululator bore

install in hole , flush with case

stick springs to accumulator helps assembly a bit

ok thats all there is to it
install the VB back into the trans , adjust bands , fresh filter and oil

POSSIBLY if you have a TV cable you mave need to make an adjustment , I have had a few where there is a bit too much TV pressure and the trans will downshift from 4th to 2nd at too high of speed and put the engine on the govenor

this kit worked AWESOME the truck had a stock converter it was crisp but not at all rude under all throttle conditions

I sell this kit in all my rebuilts usually with a single billet and superior super intermediate servo and billet band strut

I wouldn't be scared to run 100HP tune all day long with that setup

#9 ·
subscribing for future use.

#10 ·
I can't find the difference in the 47re/48re vb's. I have to switch back and forth between the pictures as I can't see them on my screen at once. Can you point it out? Thanks

#14 ·
how was it dropping the valve body and adjusting the bands how straight forward is this my dads buddy has a tranny shop and is selling me a valve body with a shift kit and all i have to do is swap them out how straight forward is it gonna be and wat about adjusting the bands?
Thanks
Phil

#15 ·
I can't find the difference in the 47re/48re vb's. I have to switch back and forth between the pictures as I can't see them on my screen at once. Can you point it out? Thanks
this is for the 48RE
not sure if I have a pic of the difference
it's just one spot you need to know where to look

#16 ·
it's the first two VB pics if yours looks like the top pic its a 48 if it looks like the bottom it is a 47
the missing slot on the right end of that bore is what were looking for

#17 ·
Great demo Baxi. My question is if I send you my VB, how much to do all that cool stuff to it then mail it back for me to install?
Also, are you replacing that week band that goes around the drum. My tranny guy replaced it while on the truck by grinding away a small portion of the band. It worked okay for a couple thousand miles but now does the same thing. Second gear slip and lazy shifting. It help would be appeciated..Mike

#21 ·
Great demo Baxi. My question is if I send you my VB, how much to do all that cool stuff to it then mail it back for me to install?
Also, are you replacing that week band that goes around the drum. My tranny guy replaced it while on the truck by grinding away a small portion of the band. It worked okay for a couple thousand miles but now does the same thing. Second gear slip and lazy shifting. It help would be appeciated..Mike
I've never tried to change band in vehicle

#24 ·
baxy, it looks like you adjusted the line pressure adjustment screw, when i did my superior kit i had a new spring but it said nothing in the instructions about resetting the screw position. could you elaborate on the how an why your doing this versus superiors instruction. thanks everyone appreciates your help here..

#25 ·
the instructions say with the stock spring you adjust the screw to a max of 5/16 inch for standard duty and if you use the blue spring you back it off to flush for HD and for max duty you adjust the screw to 1/4 to 5/16 gap with blue spring
I personally adjust the blue to 1/16 to 1/8 gap for HD

the step to back it off is in there it is just not with the spring install step and it is not very clear
the above instructions are what I have carried over from the 47RE , both transmissions use the same PR spring

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.