Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Transmission - Fixing Lockup Issues

29K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  vanmower 
G
#1 ·
Does your truck have a hard time making up its mind ... @nd Gear or Thrid Gear ???? If soi this may fix it , it was discussed in the latest TDR Mag , With some Errors :( ...LOL

Heres what you can do to try to fix your tranny lock up issues it seemed to of fixed mine ...

Locate the APPS wires

Attachments

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Seperate the Group of wires that are twisted together ...thats the apps Single going to the ECM ,,, it getting interferace from the other wires in the Split loom ...

Here it is pulled out of the Loom Below the ECM ,,

Note Remove Air Intake Manifold and Fuel Filter Housing for access

Attachments

G
#3 ·
Here they are going into the ECM connection

Just Pull this set of wires away from the other and run them in a speperate split loom ,,,,then poak all the other wires back in the OEM split loom and put it all back together

Good Luck

DM

Attachments

G
#8 · (Edited)
Yes that what this is , At about 15 MPH when the truck trys to shift but dont then repeats then finaly goes into the next gear

Reset your APPS first then if its still an issue isolate the APPS wires running to the ECM

Once you clear this up its sweet !

Now to take care of 2 other issues 1. Dieing going into gear and 2. OD Lock Up

DM

#9 ·
This work on 3rd Gen? I have a very similar issue with my 2004. Doesn't want to go into 3rd, then does, and quickly goes right into OD.

#13 ·
do you think this fix will cure my drop back at hiway speed with tcc locked i feel a slight bump and the accel pedal is dead but truck continues to run steady.lifting my foot for 10 sec and stepping down 1/2 way results in a downshift and then normal pedal response.apps switch,lift pump and vp-44 were replaced 28k ago with ecm reflash.thanks and keep up the great articles......dollar bill

#17 ·
I did do the tin foil wrap trick and the last time I pulled my trailer it did not seem to act up. We'll see how long or if that really helped out.:woot:

#18 ·
I have the goofy 1-2 shift back-n-forth at light throttle, I have a BD valve body. they told me to adjust my throttle pressure 1 1/2 turns in. I just haven't done that yet, might do it next weekend.

#25 ·
tranny fix

i isololated the apps wire but it did not stop the erratic shifting soi carried it to a transmission shop and he adjusted my detent cable problem solved shifts great waiting on my goerend convertor cant wait:peelout

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.