HX35 annoying air leaks - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
HX35 annoying air leaks

So the last month or so I've been plagued with a rather annoying issue. The HX35 in my set of compounds develops a boost leak between the compressor housing and center section. I've cleaned the two surfaces and reassembled them and it never fails eventually it will start leaking again. The snap ring is a PITA and I know there are issues with it blowing off when under pressure from the primary charger...the fix being 3 machine screws tapped into the housing to cage the snap ring in place. So who else has experienced this and what did you do about it other than the obvious...change turbos. I know the H1C's have an O ring, but all the 35's I've had apart just relied on the machined surface for a seal.

The leak becomes pronounced once boost pressure reaches about 40 or so total and keep right on going to 70. I have yet to blow off the snap ring, but was wondering if a thin gasket would help...something on the order of a thou or two. Any more than that and clearances for the wheel will be altered too much I know. So yeah, has anyone else had this pesky prob with their 35 as a secondary?

When I come up with a viable fix I'll post it if no one else speaks up.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 04:33 PM

TIG it together!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Diesel Head

what exactly causes the turbo to squeal instead of whistle at very high boost?? drive pressures, bearings???

twins, rpm, fuel and some small extras.
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmokey94
what exactly causes the turbo to squeal instead of whistle at very high boost?? drive pressures, bearings???
It's not squealing. As more boost applied it sounds like......well make the "f" sound with your mouth, that's the sound. IT makes that sound, as the leak becomes more pronounced with higher boost pressures. Everything is still working just not efficiently because his secondary can't take the pressures anymore for what ever reason. I hooked him up yesterday with a GT4288 yesterday so once he figures out the turbine hsg he's in fat city!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
So he's now going to use a GT4288 as his little turbo?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

yeah baby! The compressor map is nice and fat and it has a high pressure ratio capability. Like 'Slope said though it
s all about finding the right T-housing for it. It has a 1.22 A/R on it now which is just too big. I'd like to be able to get down around .90-1.0 non gated. We'll see. The compressor is sealed now....a thin bead of high temp sili worked nicely once allowed to cure overnight. I now have a merge collector gasket leak. Fixing that tonight with some steel cored high temp gasket material. Note to self.....standard exhaust gasket material does NOT hold up. It gets brittle and shrinks to cause a leak and then crumbles. The drive pressure is the killer. It can take the heat, but not the pressure.

Chris
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:37 PM

Got the axle joint done, did you bag anything this weekend?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes and no...long story. The short version is 2700 vertical feet and dragging deer at midnight don't mix!! I'll tell ya bout it later

Chris
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Pics of the new turbo?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

no pics yet...but here's a tidbit.

The compressor housing is the same size as the HX35 dimensionally. It's a .72 A/R compressor which utilizes a 64mm/88mm inducer/exducer wheel. The map is huge, makes air well down on the low rpm side, but can withstand a high pressure ratio and make good air on the upper rpm side as well. The catch is that it has a big turbine/wheel on it that just won't do for a secondary charger. So Garrett is crunching some numbers for me. I've told them the HP estimate, engine size, rpm, the numbers on my primary charger, and what my existing secondary is. Hopefully they will give me a part number for a small enough exhaust housing and wheel to make it work well. We'll see in a few days when I hear back from them.

Chris
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 11:52 PM

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I was going to use a GT37R (the new BB design for diesels) over my GT45R as twins...but I've heard that the BB version on top wouldn't like that (haven't called Garrett yet, though)

If I can't make that work, I'll probably use a GT4088 up top, with the GT45R on bottom! Should spool awesome for their size...GT45R is gonna be 102mm+ with a 1.01 housing

I'll be watching how yours works!!!
Chris

It's gotten too bad to list everything I'm spent money on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode