HX35 annoying air leaks - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It's tough comparing Holset's exhaust sizing with Garretts. The A/R compared to a critical area square sometimes is apples and oranges. Even though The Holset I have on top uses a 12cm2, the porting I have done to the critical area just might make it more like a 14 or 16 or even bigger. I know I can get the 1.01 A/R turbine for the GT4288, but compared to about a .80 conversion for the Holset, I worry it will be laggy. And you know as well as I do that when you're fabbing your own stuff, redoing things gets time consuming if you guess wrong!! I do know this....the 64/88 .72 compressor I REALLY like. It's just if I can get below a 1.01 housing. I'll know in a day or two when Garrett gets back with me. He was thinking the 1.01 might be the smallest, which I still think might be big for a secondary.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I'm with you...that 1.01 might be a bit big for a secondary. A buddy of mine is running a 68mm (Precision) Garrett with a .81 housing and it's REALLY laggy, but that 68mm wheel is HUGE, and very aggressive!

I would shoot for a .80 or so housing from Garret, or maybe look into having something made to fit. Maybe call Precision Turbo or Forced Induction and see if they could help you??

Chris

It's gotten too bad to list everything I'm spent money on...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Chris. .80 was what I was thinking as well. I might go to a few more extremes on this turbo becasue of the potential it has with the very aggressive compressor. The exhaust wheel is an 84 trim (68/82) and I've also requested of garrett to see if another wheel would open up some possibles for housings as well. I'm checking to see if a housing off of a 40 or 37 could be machined to fit this sucker too. Glad to see someone else on board playing with the GT's. Let's definitely keep comparing notes eh?

'Slope...be sure and let me know of any "new" developments from your end as well.

Chris

Last edited by got...DIESEL?; 08-27-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

here's an update on the GT4288. I've decided to use the 1.22 A/R exhaust housing....but with a twist. I'm gonna modify the housing so that only one volute of the scroll (the forward one) sees exhaust initially. I'll do this with a butterfly built into an adapter block between the manifold and turbo inlet controlled by a wastegate actuator that will block the rear volute under low boost. Just tune the actuator with boost to keep drive pressures where I want them and keep the GT spooled, yet have lots of flow potential...kind of a built in wastegate. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Chris
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
If no pics how about a drawing
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by got...DIESEL?
here's an update on the GT4288. I've decided to use the 1.22 A/R exhaust housing....but with a twist. I'm gonna modify the housing so that only one volute of the scroll (the forward one) sees exhaust initially. I'll do this with a butterfly built into an adapter block between the manifold and turbo inlet controlled by a wastegate actuator that will block the rear volute under low boost. Just tune the actuator with boost to keep drive pressures where I want them and keep the GT spooled, yet have lots of flow potential...kind of a built in wastegate. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Chris
Do you work for ATS???
Actually, that should work SWEET if you can get it dialed in and working right...but I'm sure you will

I'll definately be keeping an eye on this one now
Chris

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

ah yeah, didn't even make the connection!! I forgot ATS was R&D'ing a "multi-staged turbine". Well that solves half of the equation, if they are doing it it must be worth pursuing. Mine will be a little different design though. It'll be pretty straight forward. Just gonna be a matter of matching the actuator leverage ratio to the opening curve that doesn't make any drastic changes in turbine trim too soon. Then getting the actuator signal right. I think I'll make the bellcrank for the butterfly adjustable as far as the ratio is concerned, this will prolly aid in tuning for a final apply ratio.

Chris
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Cummins Fanatic

If it works, I might be looking into something like that later on...but for now, I need to talk to Garrett about those BB chargers

Chris

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by got...DIESEL?
controlled by a wastegate actuator
Chris
Are you sayin you want that spare waste gate I have? Oh wait that's right I forgot the gt4288 isn't wastegated so you'd use the big head for the experiment?

Last edited by northslope; 08-27-2006 at 05:38 PM.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

YUP! I'll keep you in the loop.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Anything new?
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Not yet, still trying to decide whether I'm gonna fab up a variable turbine with the 1.22 on the 42, or keep trying to source a smaller housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode