HX40 swap.. Questions. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
HX40 swap.. Questions.

Got the 40, the DP and I hope the right gaskets...
Is the oil outlet the same as the hy35 I have on it now?
There also is no gasket for the top in the book.. Is this a thread in fitting?
And will it hurt anything (other than my ears) if I run this downpipe only for the week?? I can't get it on in time for the muffler shop to exhaust it tomorrow, but I don't mind running with just the downpipe all week if it won't cause any problems..

Thanks
Brad

1996 2500 CTD, Ext Cab SLT, Longbed 4x4, 5 spd, 3:55's, 285/75/16's, Marine Cam, HX35, 5x012's, Hacked AFC, 191's, Autolite EGT, Boost & Fuel Pressure guages. 418/967 on the dyno...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 Wideglide, 98ci, 37g's, 10:1, race heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 09:38 AM

no it really shouldn't hurt nething running it off the down pipe the oil feed like is like a flared line so when u take it off make sure u don't loose the tapered copper washer did u get a brand new 40 for on it or one of the custom made hybrid one's and did u have problems with the waste gate being in the way pressure elbow off the turbo?
The reason i ask is when i put the 40 on my truck i had to use the wastegate off of the 35 so it didn't interfere with the intercooler pipeing and also do u have any fuel system mods to it cuz with mine it is one hell of a dog till i get to about 2500rpm then it is all power i'm hopeing to get a set of 370 injectors soon for it

Last edited by Complex; 08-19-2006 at 09:43 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

I got it second hand, supposedly only 4000 miles on it, came from a twin setup, it's in great shape so that's most likely true..
As for the wastegate, it all different than the one on the 35, it doesn't have a pressure feed, it has a large adjustable spring that hangs out pointed toward the inner fender. I got injectors with it was well, and put them in, but I don't know exactly what they are, and don't notice a very big difference in smoke levels just off the injectors. If I lay into it slow it wil start pulling hard about 2000rpm.
I did run just the downpipe Sunday, sounded wicked as you got alot of whine out of both ends of the turbo, but there was no way to carry a conversation while the truck was running... And boost really sucked
Had the muffler shop put on about 6' of so to get me just behind the cab and the turbo quited down and the boost picked up alot at low throttle. After the stacks are done I may see if an aero turbine will add a tad of backpressure and help that bit more.

1996 2500 CTD, Ext Cab SLT, Longbed 4x4, 5 spd, 3:55's, 285/75/16's, Marine Cam, HX35, 5x012's, Hacked AFC, 191's, Autolite EGT, Boost & Fuel Pressure guages. 418/967 on the dyno...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 Wideglide, 98ci, 37g's, 10:1, race heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 02:05 PM

aight thanks bud atleast i know if i get some injectors it should spool quicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode