Buying a 2nd Gen 12V, what to look for? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Why are you selling your truck Bosshawg?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
ISX
Diesel Freak

Well just bought the other truck for $5500. Few things are wrong with it that I was hoping you guys could help me out with. For one the cruise control does not work, the light turns green and everything but it just doesn't do anything. The air/heat vents only seem to blow through the defrost vents therefore I get a/c through up there but not on me. The 5spd also seems to have a very weird grinding noise, not the gears but something else, does it in 5th gear mostly, which it also seems to have a ding when you let off the gas in 5th and then get back on, just that sudden torque maybe just makes it sound like I have play in the gears or something. And the last thing is it takes about 3 seconds to start, starts in 3 seconds religiously though, don't know if the newer 12V engines are supposed to do that but my brothers 1994 starts in half a sec, but I do know the brand new duramax's take forever to start because of the electronics which is leading me to think mine might have more than my brothers or something,...? Other than that it is an awesome truck, very powerful for being stock. Got home at night though, I am gonna take the day off from work tomorrow to license it, take care of my ford, wash the dodge (guy lived on dirt road and didn't bother rolling the windows up) I think a wash on that truck will be like night and day.

1997 2500 12V Cummins 5spd 2wd 356k
1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 H.O. 5spd 4wd 280k
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 02:02 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISX
Well just bought the other truck for $5500. Few things are wrong with it that I was hoping you guys could help me out with. For one the cruise control does not work, the light turns green and everything but it just doesn't do anything. The air/heat vents only seem to blow through the defrost vents therefore I get a/c through up there but not on me. The 5spd also seems to have a very weird grinding noise, not the gears but something else, does it in 5th gear mostly, which it also seems to have a ding when you let off the gas in 5th and then get back on, just that sudden torque maybe just makes it sound like I have play in the gears or something. And the last thing is it takes about 3 seconds to start, starts in 3 seconds religiously though, don't know if the newer 12V engines are supposed to do that but my brothers 1994 starts in half a sec, but I do know the brand new duramax's take forever to start because of the electronics which is leading me to think mine might have more than my brothers or something,...? Other than that it is an awesome truck, very powerful for being stock. Got home at night though, I am gonna take the day off from work tomorrow to license it, take care of my ford, wash the dodge (guy lived on dirt road and didn't bother rolling the windows up) I think a wash on that truck will be like night and day.
Your cruise control and a/c could not be working because of a vaccum problem. Check right above your injection pump around that vacuum tee for broken line on unplugged connection. I THINK that tee is located above the pump.

As for your trans problem, I can't really help you with that. If it were me I'd check evertything underneath like driveshaft and make sure it's all tight.

Your pump and your brothers 94 are the same, other than yours having bigger DV's and some other thing giving it a higher HP rating. No electronics though, it's mechanical. Check your fuel return lines at the injection pump, they rot and cause air to get into the system. That could be why your having hard starts.

Last edited by Mslaughter; 08-02-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Cummins Fanatic

BTW post some pics after you get her all cleaned up :thumbsup
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
ISX
Diesel Freak

What is DV? I kinda figured that it started harder because of the 256k miles and my brotheres having 120k, they should never take longer to start because of mileage? My a/c works but the ducting thing doesn't, like the switch the makes it go to floor or defrost or the upper ducts, it always stays on defrost vents, but I will check the vacuum thing. I heard something about the fuel return lines being crap after a couple years and replacing them with marine lines. I'll see what I can get fixed and get some pics on here. I am gonna try and hook up our trailor and go up horsepower hill and see how it does, I have never had a truck that I only had to push the gas an inch from idle to get it up that hill, my old ford I would have it floored and lose 10mph, Unloaded. This truck has some flaws but I am very happy I got a cummins and the manual.

I am also getting wonderful gas mileage, don't know what I am getting yet but I drove 60 miles without the gas gauge moving. But I would like to hear it a little better, it is soooo quiet right now, if I cut the muffler off and put a straight pipe in it's place, will it do anything to hurt/gain gas mileage, I don't want to do anything to this truck that will have a chance of losing gas mileage.

1997 2500 12V Cummins 5spd 2wd 356k
1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 H.O. 5spd 4wd 280k

Last edited by ISX; 08-02-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode