Transmission shutters? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transmission shutters?

Went for my first long road trip this weekend with only a ATV in the bed. At freeway speeds (65-75) in 4th gear when the TQ Converter is locked and between 1/2 - 3/4 throttle the transmission starts shake or shutter. If I gave it full throttle it would smooth up or if i just gave it 1/4 throttle or so it would be fine. Doesn't do this in 4th before the tq locks or with the OD off and in third. Any transmission guys out there with any thoughts? Low pressure, time for new tq converter, OD going out?

97 Auto, #10 plate, 3K GSK, 4" to 5" exhaust, Intake, Guages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 5,260 Times in 2,976 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
sounds like low pressure or stoped up filter. could be a lock up problem and i am assuming your fluid is still good and not burnt. the tourque converter could have a problem. i was always told to get up to about 60mph and hold the throttle and press the brake for a couple of seconds and see if it unlocks. you will see the rpm jump up about a 100 or so. it also could give a surge locking in and out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Thanks for the reply! My filter should be good, and fluid should be good, I just changed both out a month ago when I purchased the rig. RPM doesn't jump around when this happenes stays right at 1900 +.

Dumb question which i am just starting to read about, sounds like the 727 have bands that need to be adjusted, which I should have done when i replaced fluid and filter. Could these being out of adjustment lead to this type of behavior?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Cummins Nut

my guess is the converter, this is common on stock trans with extra power.

06 black mega 4x Dave's Billet auto shiftenhansed D preditor tuff 5" 37's B special fooler riderites custom airbag muff delete redline catylist, Commander , AR-15..etc...."True Outlaws can survive"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

well I was wrong, it does it in third gear when the Tq converter is locked... it feels like its tring to unlock and lock repeatedly causing the shuttering. Is it worth putting a switch and seeing if manually locking the tq converter helps? or just get a better after market one?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Check the tsb on the computer, it might need a reflash. Also check the wires all the way from th TPS to the computer.

98 2500,4x4auto,48re vb,billet single,shift kit+, Super B, 4" ss,#10 ff,4gsk,.024s, 5x.014, BHAF,16* gauges,WVO, B164 bypass 2004.5 3500, SRW, FASS WVO, B164 bypass, [email protected] Sold 96 2500 eclb 3gsk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityMadman View Post
Check the tsb on the computer, it might need a reflash. Also check the wires all the way from th TPS to the computer.
Checked TSB's and seemed to be ok. I will check the TPS wires when I get home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode