Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Found a truck!!!

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  TOMTOM 
#1 ·
Well I found a truck that i am veryk interested in just want to see if you guys can help me out with some information. The truck is a 95 regular cab 2500, 4x4, 5 spd, long bed. The truck is stock. The truck just had the fuel sysetm and valves worked over runs like a top. Bed is only a few years old, it rusted out and was replaced. hear is the bad.

It is not rusty yet but you can see that it is going to be shortly. when the rust blisters thrue the paint it will need the bottom of the door's, rocker pannels and front fenders replaced and repainted. Anyone know roughly how much that will cost?

A/C does not work... What are the common problems with the A/C? How much do they cost?

Also the seats are the bucket seat and are really worn out. I would like to relpace them also. I think I would switch to the bench seat. Anyone know how much?

Also... It drives straight down the road, does not wander or anything. but there is something fishy with the front end. The steering wheel is at 10 O'Clock when driveing straight and the only NEW tire is on the front drivers side. The other three are "Used." Which I did not think much of until the guy could not say why there is one brand new tire and 3 Older ones. That just does not sit right with me. Granted the truck is his but he let the guys that work for him use it to plow the parking lot at his construction sites. Does that sound fishy to anyone else?

Aaron

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like you spent all your COLA at October Fest! I bet you could find a better deal. That one new tire thing sounds funny, unless his guys got a flat and were nice enought to replace it. AC could get expensive and it does get hot up there in the summer. Nice aftermarket seats can be pricey too. Offer real low and see what he says. You are right on with a Reg Cab Long Bed!!!

#4 ·
sounds rough, dude. usually, when someone plows with someone else's truck they're not real nice with it. wheel being off means he's done something to the front end. hard curb, hole etc. toe's off. from the sounds of it you want a nice truck and this one will probably cost you more to make it nice then it would to just find a nice one in the first place. IHMO.

G
#5 ·
well how much is he asking? how many miles.

when i bought my truck i looked at it as if i was going to part it out.
so could i get my money back. if i had to.

the engine is worth about say $2500 avrage price.
the front axle is a dana 60 great for more then a dodge diesel application $800-$1000 avrage price

mine is an automatic about $500 used

a 5speed i worth more i saw a 6 speed on ebay go for about $3000
i'm not saying a 5 speed is woth $3000 but if you could get 1000 that would be bad.

so say in all the big parts you have $4500
i only paid $4,500 for mine but the guy had papers on where the injector pump was replaced and the truck had always been maintained by the dealer.

i say it's woth $5000 tops!

#9 ·
Thanks for the thoughts.

He wants $8500 for the truck and it comes with the $4000 plow. Granted it is used but I think I could still sell it for $1800. The truck has 150,000 miles on it and it is a manuel. He replace the clutch last fall. I have not seen the truck yet I will look at it next week. My father looked at it for me, being in germany has its down sides. FOr the seats I was thinking a used bench seat from the junk yard I have a freind that works at one that should be able to get me a seat and the brakets for cheap. I am going to ask the guy again what happened with the tire, and the stearing wheel. If he cant give a answer I think I don't want to buy his problems. I think I will also ask the guys wife.. she gave me more information about the truck that the guy did. She got out the matinence history and read it to me. I will let you guys know hwat happens. when I look at the truck and if it is bad as my father says it is... He wants me to get a Chevy.

Aaron

G
#12 ·
hey, hey ,hey now whats this about a chevy!!!
j/k with yeah.

hell i'll sell you mine for $6,500 170,000 miles brand new tires new 4" exhaust and new injector pump.

for $8,500 the truck should to be mint and not been plowed with.
tell him you'll give him $4000 cash and he can keep his plow.

plows here are easy to find. i can get a used one for less than a grand easy.

#13 ·
Buddah said:
If your the kinda guy who doesent like to work on his truck alot, look for a new one.
Just the oposite I enjoy working on my vehicles.

As for everyone saying get a diffrent truck. I am going to look at it before I make up my mind.

If anyone knows of a 12v 5spd for sale for a better price and some where in the midwest. Let me know.

Aaron

#14 ·
for that amount of money, you could find a sweet chevy 2500 or 3500 with a blown 6.5 and a 5spd and toss the cummins in that thats what i would do, if i was going to go swapping a motor out

#15 ·
I guess I was not clear... my father does not want me to get a Dodge. He wants me to get a Chevy. He is and always has been a Chevy guy. I am not wanting to swap a motor but alittle TLC is fine by me. I just want to be able to afford :$: the TLC that the truck I get needs.

Aaron

G
#17 ·
there isn't much dodge about Dodge's maybe if you educated your dad a bit?

at one time even Chevy used Dana axles like dodge and still do in some applications.
and Chevy also used new process transfer cases like dodge

and I'm sure a lot of the electronics are probably made by the same company also.

point out the fact the Chevy uses IFS now (independent front suspension)
it's unreliable! and a pain in the butt to fix.
unlike a Dana 60

I'm a Chevy guy and always have been. just my opinion so don't any one get mad. dodges seem to be made cheep. even the dash is plastic.
where Chevy has a dash pad.

but as far quality drive train parts the cummins is way better then any diesel Chevy/GM ever had. New process has been making transfers for years!!
and same with Dana they make transfer and really good axles!

#18 ·
trefftzs said:
A/C does not work... What are the common problems with the A/C? How much do they cost?
A/C's can be a nightmare. A/C's are the trickiest, and most finicky systems I have ever seen, and I have worked on a lot of them....:fist:

First you'd have to find out why it doesn't work. If the pump will turn than it's a leak, if the pump is locked up the system needs a rebuild.

A/C's either work great and never give fits on some pieces of equipment, and some I think are cursed and never will go long without throwing a fit. The A/C didn't work in my truck when I bought it, there was a leak in the evaporator. Very expensive to fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.