nv4500 questions!! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
nv4500 questions!!

Hey guys need a little advice here. Just got this truck and its been a money pit so far. Got it from auction and the previous owner deff beat the piss outta it.

Anyways i am having tranny problems!!!!! I just put a valair clutch in it(13"400hp-900tq). Old one the bed after 2 weeks of owning. Broke it in put about 300-400 miles on it since i got it back. When i got it back 5th gear was sometimes like a brick wall and i would have to go down to 4th then back to 5th to get it in. Then i noticed reverse was starting to grind again and would go into third then revese just fine. Now its first gear thats a brick wall at times so i go into 2nd then first.

Also if i go a LOW RPM in any gear and shift into the next gear it will jerk and slow down like the syncros arnt doing there job. I got around this by keeping a little bit of pedal while releasing the clutch. I don't know if this is proper but i was told NEVER do gas pedal and clutch on these trucks. My powerstroke never did this. Yes i know guys i had a ford but i finally got enough money for a big boy truck and its all problems!!!!!

I would love the input on weither i'm doing something wrong or if something is screwed up in the tranny. Or if the clutch was put in wrong or anything. Truck has 126xxx miles on it.

2012 2500 ccsb longhorn parts fell off 3" lift/35's -KCCO-
2- 12 valves SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 AM

What kind of trans fluid are you using?

1996 Ram 2500 Extended cab 5 speed, 4" turbo back exhaust, egt,boost, and fuel psi gauge. KDP tabbed, Ford steering and locking hubs
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Went Tony local dodge dealership. Got fluid from them it was like 21$ a quart. Did the fluid change right before the clutch went. Didn't change a thing.

2012 2500 ccsb longhorn parts fell off 3" lift/35's -KCCO-
2- 12 valves SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM

well first off i have to put this out there and some people might not like it but i have rebuilt many tranys for many people and in the beginning i used the expensive stuff for them. then my trans went out with the good stuff in it. i rebuilt it and needed to get the truck done so i could go on a trip and could not get the expensive stuff so i but i bought the next best i could. anyway i and ran along time on this trans and ended up switching to the cheapest stuff you can buy for 4 dollars a quart and have had no problems i also recommend this to my customers now and the ones that have done it have had no problems at all. up to you but thats my penny saving tip for the day.

also kind of sound like maybe your slave cylinder might not be pushing in all the way or maybe you need to bleed some air out of it. this is a common thing and if it is not bled out all the way those things will happen. something to check.

1996 12v 1ton dually quad cab. used to be pull truck trying to make it reliable again. stock pump injectors govenor springs dvs mostly everything. gauges airdog billet input shaft iron giant dd clutch {pretty sticky}
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Diesel Head

haha you sound like me, I've went through 9 (nine) 5-speed nv4500's in 3 yrs. now I have a 5600. anyways, I'd say you're problem is clutch related. I'm sure you know this but 1st and reverse do not have syncro's. most of the time you have to come to a complete stop to get it in either of those gears. All 5-speeds are also diferent. not much but sometimes you can get ahold of a mis-machined case. that may be the case, but from what you've described I think as said above, you may have air in your slave cylinder line. factory ones are not ajustable nor easy to bleed. Aftermarket ones run around $75 if I remember right. Befor you tear your tranny down you might wanna go ahead and get that upgraded. adjustability is convenient for trouble-shooting. Your clutch is dragging right now, not much but there's resistance there.

(Co-Founder of the Dirty South Rigs) 99 DRW 4X4, P-PUMPED 24V! #10 PLATE, 4KGSK, 6-SPD CONVERSION, DHD 271 T-CASE, 64/14 HTT, I.I. 150-10 HOLES, 1/8" TUBES, HAISLY LINES, FASS 150, VALAIR 3850 DD, AUSSIES, BARS, 7" LIFT, FRONT LEAFS, F350 AXLES, 22.5'S-
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Where can you pick up an aftermarket slave cylinder? Are they easier to bleed got a bleeder valve on it? I might need a slave cylinder also does anyone know what size the bolts are to bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel I need them

2001 ecsb 4x4 some slow stuff
71 f250 crew cab 4x4 cummins swap in progress
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Diesel Head

talk to Dan @ valair for a slave cylinder. yes they do have a bleeder on them, yes they are ajustable where the rod connects to the clutch pedal, braided steel hydro line, bolt up resovoir.
I believe 1" 5/16 grade 8 bolts hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. (check else where to verify that) 1/2" 6pt socket. I highly reccomend using RED locktite on these.

(Co-Founder of the Dirty South Rigs) 99 DRW 4X4, P-PUMPED 24V! #10 PLATE, 4KGSK, 6-SPD CONVERSION, DHD 271 T-CASE, 64/14 HTT, I.I. 150-10 HOLES, 1/8" TUBES, HAISLY LINES, FASS 150, VALAIR 3850 DD, AUSSIES, BARS, 7" LIFT, FRONT LEAFS, F350 AXLES, 22.5'S-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Diesel Head

Good to know ill have to try more searching couldn't find the size bolts when I searched I'm just going to pick up some grade 8 bolts at hardware store once I know the size red loc tite any problems getting them to break free next time they got to come out?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Diesel Head

I've never had any problem getting them loose after locktite. the torque specs on these are 25 lbs. I always put em a little over 30. its up to you. I seldom get on here anymore and you will probably never hear from me again, but I will give you some pointers on the nv4500. 5th gear is a world of its own, its located in the tail housing with reverse and likes to fall completely off the shaft. If you ever tear into your tranny, I will highly recomend you either double nut 5th gear, tap set screws directly through the nut into the shaft, put a tack weld on the threads or all of the above. 3rd is notorious for loosing synchronizers. This transmission does not have a cooling system on it nor a dip stick. You wont know your low on fluid until its too late. check it now and then. 20 min of your time is worth saving some big money. Like I said I've been through 9 of these tranny's. I finally converted to the nv5600 and have not heard a peep for nearly 2 years... I hope you get it figured out bud, Cody

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 AM
Diesel Head

Some good info on the trans can you fix the nut issue just by taking off the tail housing? It's a 2wd nv4500 if it matters

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 Cody View Post
haha you sound like me, I've went through 9 (nine) 5-speed nv4500's in 3 yrs. now I have a 5600. anyways, I'd say you're problem is clutch related. I'm sure you know this but 1st and reverse do not have syncro's. most of the time you have to come to a complete stop to get it in either of those gears. .
Not true. The NV4500 in Dodge trucks had syncros in all gears. It says this in the Dodge service manual and here: NV4500 Transmissions - Adapters - NV4500 Conversions and here: NV4500 Transmission Info, Conversions, Reviews and here: NV4500FAQ

GM NV4500 transmissions didn't have syncros in reverse but they did in 1st gear.

1997 CTD extended cab 4X4 5 speed. Towing package, SLT, BHAF, 4" straight exhaust

Bought 4/28/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode