4x4 binding - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
4x4 binding

i pulled it into 4 wheel today and made a hard left turn and man that thing just bound up. is that normal? also i sometimes feel the wheels binding up when not in 4 wheel. is that because of the big tires?

guess i aught to change the gear lube soon any how. what is recommended?

1997 ram 12v auto 2500 4x4 2" lift bhrp exhaust bone stock otherwise.kdp killed, 3 gauge pillar,4.10 gears south fulton county pa.wanna be greaser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Diesel Freak

When is the last time you did the u joints?

96' 2500, AFC mods, 3 GSK, 60 lb springs, BD 3pc manifold, PS 62/65/12, DAP 5x.012's, A1 studs, Tork -Tek OFV, BHAF, 4" exhuast, 475 hp Southbend
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

just got this truck it is bone stock with 2" lift and leveler kit. rancho's and terra grapplers. and a bhrp dual system. it has 106 thousand miles on the od.

maybe i need to update my sig

truth is i have no idea what may or may not have been done to the truck as far as maintenance stuff. it was owned by an old guy who died . i bought it from the guy who bought it at an estate sale. on ebay.he put the lift, tires and exhaust on it.

what are the most widely recommended gear lubes for these trucks? do they need slip
additives?

1997 ram 12v auto 2500 4x4 2" lift bhrp exhaust bone stock otherwise.kdp killed, 3 gauge pillar,4.10 gears south fulton county pa.wanna be greaser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Diesel Freak

You never know when someone installs there own lift. I would check the u joints, thats where I would start if my steering was binding. I doubt changing your fluid is going to do you any good.

96' 2500, AFC mods, 3 GSK, 60 lb springs, BD 3pc manifold, PS 62/65/12, DAP 5x.012's, A1 studs, Tork -Tek OFV, BHAF, 4" exhuast, 475 hp Southbend
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Diesel Head

binding while turning is the nature of the beast with a part time 4wd setup, especially if your on pavement or solid ground... (thats why they call it part-time, or your going to start laying parts on the pavement if you always drive around with it in 4wd LOL)

As for the feeling of binding when it was taken out of 4wd, thats likely due to the CAD not being fully disengaged (they are a piece of junk at the best of times). Until the CAD completely disengages the passenger side axleshaft, even with the tcase in 2wd, you will feel slight binding while turning

2015 3500 laramie dually. 6.7, aisin, 4.10s, bone stock... (for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2014 forest river XLR 395amp, 42.5ft of truck killing, wind catching, toy and booze hauling, fun...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Diesel Freak

Bind up while turning, if you are on a high traction surface such as a road or packed dirt or gravel, is normal.

You may also have lockers in the differentials which will make it worse.

1995 D2500 4x4: #10 fuel plate, BHAF, turbo orfice, AFC forward, 3000 GSK, pyro & boost ga. NEXT: trans ga & filt, 4" exhaust, billet TQ, valve body.
UCORA.org -- United Christian Off-Road Alliance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode