Broken Input Shaft.... Can I Replace it with..? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Broken Input Shaft.... Can I Replace it with..?

Today i was driving my truck, showing a friend how the SuperB performed, and was smashing through the gears when i heard a pop after hitting 4th. Pretty positive it is the input shaft.

Now i want to go ahead and order a new input shaft. But i am not 100% sure what to order.

Currently in the truck is a Southbend dual disk 13" clutch with the 1-1/4 input shaft, (nv4500 of course).

Now I have a south bend dual disk from an old nv5600 set up for the 1-3/8 input, but the thing fell off my work bench and the pressure plate is a little bent... Now i was thinking,

Can i use the pressure plate from the clutch that is currently in the truck and the clutch plates and fly wheel from my nv5600 and go ahead and order the 1-3/8 input shaft?

Also, do i need to order anything else besides the input shaft? Allstategear.com lists the factory 1-1/4" input shaft for $85

Thanks for any help in advance

97 12v SCLB 5spd. DDP-ATS-SouthBend-HighRam-SnowPerformance-Isspro-DSS-WeatherGuard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have a1 1/4 shaft id sell ya. You need the 13/8 retainer too with the bigger shaft. Umm as far as the pressure plate idk for sure if the bolt holes line up it may work but the pressure is prob way less on a stock clutch plate than a double disc. So if it doesn't put enough pressure on you have the equivalent of a stock clutch again but with two plates to wear out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
you need the input, retainer that the throwout bearing rides on and front bearing for the clutch the press plates should interchange but call southbend I'm sure they would be happy to help and could tell you for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9sledhead View Post
I have a1 1/4 shaft id sell ya. You need the 13/8 retainer too with the bigger shaft. Umm as far as the pressure plate idk for sure if the bolt holes line up it may work but the pressure is prob way less on a stock clutch plate than a double disc. So if it doesn't put enough pressure on you have the equivalent of a stock clutch again but with two plates to wear out.
Both clutches are SBC Dual Disks. one is just a 1-1/4 and the other 1-3/8.

----------------------------------------

Id love to give southbend a call but they are not open on the weekends. I was hoping to get this squared away before and ordered before monday.

97 12v SCLB 5spd. DDP-ATS-SouthBend-HighRam-SnowPerformance-Isspro-DSS-WeatherGuard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode