Lots of smoke when cold...normal? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lots of smoke when cold...normal?

I know there are lots of posts regarding smoke on cold starts, etc. but I couldn't find any pertaining to my setup. If there is one out there that I didn't see, I apologize in advance.

I drive a 96 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins of course. I have a little less than 192k miles on it. It has been in my family since it was purchased brand new in 1996. It has been very well maintained. With that being said, the only thing I have done to the engine performance wise is new injectors. I purchased some new Bosch 300HP injectors (part #0432133864) and installed them a few months ago. Now that the weather is dropping at night, it's usually around 35-40 degrees in the morning when I fire the truck up. I notice a lot of white/grey smoke with a very slight tint of blue. It would smoke a little when it was cold and not plugged in with the stock injectors, but it is much more noticeable now with the new injectors. Once the engine is warmed up, the smoke stops. Now I learned from other peoples posts that smoke when cold is normal. The only thing that worries me is the blue tint to the smoke. I know for a gasser engine, blue smoke is caused from oil getting into the combustion chamber by worn rings, valve guides, etc. But the Cummins uses no oil between changes. And once it's done warming up, there is no smoke at all.

My question is should I be concerned about what I call excessive smoke on the cold start? Although the smoke has a slight blue tint, it does not smell like burned oil. Just smells like diesel exhaust. I also have an old Mercedes diesel, which smokes quite a bit on a cold start, but never had a bluish tint. I suspect the new injectors have something to do with it. Does anyone have any advice? Should this be something I should worry about? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

1996 2500 2x4, 12v cummins, 192k miles, auto tranny, long bed, stock besides transmission upgrades and plan to add a little more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

My 96 dose the same thing... dose it like to skip, spit and spatter and almost choke its self out if you try to drive it? Mine dose and cant seem to find out why... some say the timing has slipped and others say i have a fuel leek??

02 2500-edge comp-afe/K&N intake-4" exhaust to 6" stack. (Waiting for the VP to die
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
12v Block, crank, and rods awaiting a new idea...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

No it runs and drives just fine. The idle is a bit on the rough side when it's cold. But tends to smooth out once the engine warms up a bit. Sometimes if I put the truck in reverse and haven't let it warm up enough on a really cold morning the engine will stall when I let off the accelerator. I countered that by bumping up the idle to about 900RPM during the cold months of the year. Turning the idle up helps starting in the cold plus helps it stay running (no need to keep your foot on the accelerator) and seems to work up a bit quicker if left to idle.

12v5.9, when is the last time you checked your fuel filter? I thought my timing had slipped before, almost the same symptoms your experiencing. Come to find out, the fuel filter was past due for a change. Changed the fuel filter and off I went. I would check the simple things first. If you suspect a timing issue, I have found a few posts on here before that explain how to check the timing yourself.

1996 2500 2x4, 12v cummins, 192k miles, auto tranny, long bed, stock besides transmission upgrades and plan to add a little more power.

Last edited by kingjohn1027; 11-10-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I have replaced it about 4 times over the summer and still dose it... and i have seen the threads and i have a guy lined up to do it for me and I hope that it works!!!

02 2500-edge comp-afe/K&N intake-4" exhaust to 6" stack. (Waiting for the VP to die
)
12v Block, crank, and rods awaiting a new idea...

Last edited by 12v5.9; 11-10-2011 at 11:57 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Cummins Nut

Normal. Enjoy your truck.

2002 with goodies.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
Normal. Enjoy your truck.
Yep, see it every morning.

Mike-97 2500 5spd.-5x.012s-3GSK-Usual pump stuff-Fluidampr-Stock Timing- 310/784 9/15/13 SOLD
97 F350 OBS Fummins-getting VE/NV4500 and frame-off and TWINS. SOLD
1957 Dodge Power Wagon 12v/NV5600/Coilover and Air Suspension
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Easter View Post
Yep, see it every morning.
Mine does it too when its not plugged in.

96 4x4 ECLB Built automatic, double disk billet TC, AEM Brute Force, no plate, 5x.012, MBRP 4 inch, Silencer ring MIA, HID conversion, autometer gauges, adj. OFV, boost elbow

93 4x4 ECLB 5 Spd Farm Truck.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Diesel Head

White smoke (raw fuel) with a hint of blue (raw fuel smoke will have a blueish tint in the cold) is somewhat normal. at temperatures above freezing, it is not.

unnecessary amounts of smoke could be caused by one or both of the grid heaters not functioning. The post-heat cycling of the grid heaters help greatly reduce white smoke at start up. Without even touching anything, its pretty easy to tell when both grid heaters are working as the volt gauge will drop to ~10v when you first turn the key and the grid heaters do the pre-heat cycle. If the gauge only drops to ~12v, you likely have only one GH element working.

Air in the fuel system can also cause excessive smoke as it lowers dynamic fuel timing (the actual injection event)

And last but not least, static (pump) timing being too low will cause the same symptoms.

All of these things will contribute to incomplete burns at startup, and its only going to get worse when the temperature drops.

2015 3500 laramie dually. 6.7, aisin, 4.10s, bone stock... (for now
)
2014 forest river XLR 395amp, 42.5ft of truck killing, wind catching, toy and booze hauling, fun...

Last edited by ykdave; 11-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

I think the smoke is just normal for the cummins and the injectors I installed. A friend of mine just installed the same injectors a few weeks ago. He has noticed the truck smokes a bit more as well. I know both grid heat elements are working as I checked them when the weather started to cool down. I had the local Cummins shop check timing before I installed the new injectors. The timing was right where it should be. So I am just going to say the smoke is normal and leave it at that. Thanks for the help everyone!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Diesel Head

When you installed the new injectors, you slightly retarded the timing. You didn't mean to, but you did. The reason is that the new injectors have a higher pop pressure than the used ones you took out. The higher the pop pressure, the longer it takes the injection pump to reach that pressure in the injector lines. End result: Very slightly retarded timing. Much if not most of the white and blue startup smoke can be eliminated by getting a couple of degrees more timing in the thing. Unfortunately, it takes some (not very expensive) special tools to do that. Leaving it the way it is won't hurt anything.

'98 12v 2wd dually, SB DD, Detroit locker, 64/65/13 htb2, CPP 7x10's, 3kgsk, bhaf, 19*, 50 lbs boost
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Diesel Head

Did you say 300hp injectors??

99 QCSB 4x4 auto/Edge/Airdog/Isspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMY12V View Post
With a 47RE it's impossible to tell. It's easier diagnosing what's wrong with a woman.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedcummins View Post
Did you say 300hp injectors??
Yes, 300HP injectors. New Dodge 12V Cummins 300 horsepower Fuel Injectors (0432133864)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode