Driveshaft noise - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Driveshaft noise

I'm getting a lot of noise in the driveshaft on my truck, especially when accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear. U-joints appear to be tight, pinion bearings tight. The only thing I am questioning is that I have the 2 piece drive shaft, and I was wondering if the carrier rubber was weak would cause it to do this. Its a tinging / rattling in 3rd 4th or 5th under load or toque. Anyone else experience this?

1997 Dodge 2500 3/4 ton ext. cab 4x4 5sp., Dana 80 rear, 3:55 gears, Dual 5 inch stacks, 116,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Cummins Fan

yes this is a very comman problem just get under the truck grap the drive shaft at the u joints behind the carrier and move it up and down left and right if there is any movement its in need of a new one i actually just bought one for my truck it was 36.00 at napa but i seem to have the wrong one its wider then the one on my truck i called several stores and they all say its the right one for my truck well the one they gave me is like 7 inches wide and mine is only 5 hmmmmm good luck

99 rclb 4x4 nv4500 96k non 53 150 jammers, ejwa hot unlock, s/b intake, afe itake horn, 150 raptor big line + drawstraw, 5" full 8" tip
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Well a new front u joint, new carrier bearing, and lots of looking later, its still making noise. 4th gear is the worst. The only place I can find anything questionable is the bushing in the tailshaft housing looks a little rough, although the output bearing in the transfer case was ok. There is some a small amount of front to back movement on the output shaft in the transfer case. I am assuming that is just snap ring to snap ring though. Anyone have any ideas? Put it up on stands and run it and no noise, but when i put the brakes on to give it a little load it got noisy. I'm hoping its the output shaft bushing allowing the the driveshaft to work on the splines and a new one will fix it.

1997 Dodge 2500 3/4 ton ext. cab 4x4 5sp., Dana 80 rear, 3:55 gears, Dual 5 inch stacks, 116,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Cummins Nut

I wish you had a solution for this because this exact thing just started happening to me... All u-joints are pretty new too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Corey - BSME --- 97 12V Michigan Rust Bucket
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy1989 View Post
Well a new front u joint, new carrier bearing, and lots of looking later, its still making noise. 4th gear is the worst. The only place I can find anything questionable is the bushing in the tailshaft housing looks a little rough, although the output bearing in the transfer case was ok. There is some a small amount of front to back movement on the output shaft in the transfer case. I am assuming that is just snap ring to snap ring though. Anyone have any ideas? Put it up on stands and run it and no noise, but when i put the brakes on to give it a little load it got noisy. I'm hoping its the output shaft bushing allowing the the driveshaft to work on the splines and a new one will fix it.
Hi, i am having the same exact issue, we’re you able to find the solution? Your feedback is greatly appreciated

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode