vaccum pump blues!!!!!!! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
vaccum pump blues!!!!!!!

alright guys i got a few questions for ya i got a 98 12v and when i bout the truck it had a few oil leaks timing cover gasket, front main, rear main, and vacuum pump seal between power steer pump and vacuum pump got every leak fixed on truck last summer but! that darn vacuum pump i have redone the seal and o ring twice it lasts like maybe two weeks and thens starts dripping again. when i first did the seal i did a lot of research on here as far as where to get the seal from and what not. i bought it from the guy that has the custom two lip seal for it per numerous posts on here. i have replaced the power steering pump because the old one kicked the can! so my question is do refurbished power steering pumps have a smaller diameter output shaft that just wont seal or what. also i will say i did the install right me and my buddy chipped in the buy that instructional video and CUSTOM TOOLS (which are not so custom when you work in the plumbing field by the way) did the install the same as the that dude in the video did and still is dripping on me any help would be much appreciated thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,520 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
The only thing I can suggest is get a Cummins kit and try it again. I can't believe how much repackaged seal kits cost. The Cummins kit is about $11.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks i guess ill see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Cummins Fanatic

While ya got it apart have a good look on the shaft where the seal sits- any little tburr or scratch can kill the seal after a while. Also, on the seal there may be a number like 10 20 5. (this is just an example). This is the seal dimensions in mm. 10 is the inner diameter, 20 is the outside diameter, and 5 is the thickkness. So if your proper seal says the inner dia. is 8 mm and you measure the new reman. pump shaft to be 9 mm then its too tight which will also kill the seal. If you measure 7 mm well the shaft is too small.

1997 12v 3500 DRW 4x4 Ext Cab Long Box, Auto 320,000 KMS- Manual grid heaters wih Ford Solenoids. Back-up Camera. 4.10's.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks thats good advice ill def check that seems simple enough
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Did you fix your problem with that seal?? I have the exact same issue with my 96 12v. Bought the same kit you did with "2-lipped" seal from Gould Gear and improved gaskets and I have same problem that it leaks out of that oil seal in the back that rides on the steering pump shaft. Even bought a remanufactured steering pump hoping the shaft was the issue. I made sure the seal was flush when I drove it into the retainer and was careful to not nick the retainer- still leaks!

I have had this assembly in and out of my truck like 3 times now and want to make sure I get it next time.

Let me know if you have any other information that helped you get this dang seal sealed up. Thanks!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,520 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarner View Post
Bought the same kit you did with "2-lipped" seal from Gould Gear
Once again, the Cummins repair kit is only about $11. I thought that Gould was just repackaging the Cummins kit, but it sounds like their two lipped seal leaves something to be desired.

Cummins part # 4089742

One other thing, make sure the seal is installed with the flat side out.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GAmes; 03-19-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode