Axle wrap? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Axle wrap?

I bought a 96 extended cab 2500 4x4 12v almost a year ago. Braking was smooth when I first got it. About 6 months ago it started getting a bad wobble/ bounce in the rear end while normal and moderate braking. If I brake really slow it doesn’t do it until I’m almost stoped. It almost feels like a pulsing sensation like the ABS is kicking in every time I brake. It has newer shocks, helper leaf springs and Air Lift air springs. It drives just fine over bumps so I know it’s not the suspension. I do know these trucks are notorious for axle wrap under acceleration, and I do feel that. However, the sensation I feel is far worst than the axle wrap I feel during acceleration. It’s not the front brakes, as I do not feel it in the brake peddle or steering wheel. I can feel and hear it coming from the rear end. Could it be that the drums need to be adjusted? Or am I getting axle wrap while braking? I just ordered Longhorn Fab traction bars. It has a leveling kit only with 33”x12.5 tires. There is no brake shoe noise while braking either. Everything sounds fine/ normal. Just not the bouncing vibration/ pulsating sensation I get. I should also note the it isn’t really there while driving 55 and braking. But as I slow down, the feeling kicks in and gets worst as I slow down. I’ll have the traction bars installed this weekend hopefully, and will update any changes after that. Just looking for advise on anything else I should do/ check. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,636 Times in 2,125 Posts
If it does it when you apply the E-brake while moving (to isolate the rear from the front brakes) then it sounds like a drum issue. The front brakes receive most of the braking power first, so any rear brake feedback would be felt under more moderate braking.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Indeed the front brakes are used the most. I didn’t think about the parking brake though. I’ll try that tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Yea I'd be looking at either machining or replacing the drums, sounds like they are warped.

1997 ECLB - 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe - ISSpro Trans temp/EGT/Boost - AFC Live - boost elbow - 5x14s - 17.5 Timing - Built trans - BHAF - ARP 425s - PSC SG852 - 315/75/16
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,585 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I had the same problem not too long ago. A piece of brake shoe had broken off and was binding the drum.

In what scenario is axle wrap "notorious"? Certainly not in normal street driving.
24hrsparkey likes this.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to GAmes For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (03-25-2020)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 AM
The Uppity 12v Guy

Thanked 1,354 Times in 979 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
If you do basically any power adders it gets out of control pretty fast. We've had 350hp trucks on our dyno that would axle-wrap so bad the overload springs would be hitting and deflecting against the front frame pads. You don't normally feel it when it happens on acceleration, but I bet a GoPro camera would show quite a bit of movement in an "around town" sort of driving scenario at stock power.

When my truck was a manual with a dual-disc ceramic clutch, the grabbiness of the clutch would cause so much axle-wrap the overload springs would bounce off the frame pads. Shook the entire truck on takeoff and sometimes during normal shifts if I didn't finesse it just right. Towing made that worse.

'95 2500 ECLB 4x4, P6.7 12v. "The Uncommon Rail"

It's alive.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

All factory leaf spring trucks have axle wrap. You just don’t notice it much on factory trucks, especially the older trucks with less power. But my 96 is over 400hp. So it bounces a little during acceleration, mostly in 2nd gear, even on a slow take off. The sensation I get during braking is the same as the acceleration axle wrap. but amplified way more. When I install the traction bars, I plan to open the rear drums and check them out.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 03:14 PM
Diesel Head

Check for Broken / Rusted thru springs and esp the rear shackle spring hanger . Seen a few of those broken / rusted badly . Also check the rubber in the spring eye.

My sons 12 v 5 speed with 3" lift , 4k governor springs , delivery valves waaay big and all the usuall kid tricks has HORRIBLE rear spring wrap. Even with me ( old man ) driving it "normal".

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 04:51 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,585 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I don't doubt there could be axle wrap in some circumstances. I am questioning the use of "notorious", i. e. famous or well known. I'm not aware of it in my truck and other than the drag racers it is never mentioned in the forums I subscribe to. An example of "notorious" is 2nd gen Dodge 4X4's "death wobble".

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
I don't doubt there could be axle wrap in some circumstances. I am questioning the use of "notorious", i. e. famous or well known. I'm not aware of it in my truck and other than the drag racers it is never mentioned in the forums I subscribe to. An example of "notorious" is 2nd gen Dodge 4X4's "death wobble".

Check out YouTube. BD Diesel has a great video explaining axle wrap in a 4th gen. All leaf spring trucks have it. It just doesn’t cause most people concern, because most trucks are stock. But when you add engine power, it amplifies it. Sorry if my wording confused you. It is a well known fact, but it’s not as big of a deal to most people, especially when compared to the death wobble.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
Check for Broken / Rusted thru springs and esp the rear shackle spring hanger . Seen a few of those broken / rusted badly . Also check the rubber in the spring eye.

My sons 12 v 5 speed with 3" lift , 4k governor springs , delivery valves waaay big and all the usuall kid tricks has HORRIBLE rear spring wrap. Even with me ( old man ) driving it "normal".

All the springs and hangers are a great shape, and have no rust. The entire chassis is virtually rust free. I’m lucky there.
24hrsparkey likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmithN8or For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (03-26-2020)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
If it does it when you apply the E-brake while moving (to isolate the rear from the front brakes) then it sounds like a drum issue. The front brakes receive most of the braking power first, so any rear brake feedback would be felt under more moderate braking.
So I applied the parking brake slowly while coming to a stop 3 different times today. It’s definitely coming from the drums. There’s no concerning noises coming from the drums. So I’m thinking the drums are just warped. I guess it’s possible, I just hadn’t heard of drums warping seeing how most of the stopping power comes from the front. I just thought maybe I was experiencing axle wrap while braking. That’s why I wrote the first message, to see if anyone has experienced it. The traction bars are being delivered today, so this will fix that issue. But I’m willing to bet the drums are warped. So I’ll work on getting the parts and fixing that in the next week or 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmithN8or For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (03-26-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode