another coolant bypass question... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 1 Post By GAmes
  • 1 Post By dd453ford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
another coolant bypass question...

I've read MANY threads on the coolant bypass issues/solutions.

I've deleted my heater core as there's just no need for it where I live (cough*Hawaii*cough)...

Now...I've routed my stock heater feed straight to the return fitting to loop it.

I'd like to get rid of that top fitting and hose and thought maybe I could tap into my coolant temp port at the back of the head, route that coolant to the heater core return fitting, plug the stock feed port. This would help cool the #6 cylinder and still allow flow through the engine? Will this work?

Is it necessary for my use? No...but looking for input.

Thanks.

BJ

95 ECLB 4x4, DSS, HD X-over steering, auto., Hell bent 2.5" lvl, Thuren track bar, tabbed KDP, 4" MBRP, Autometer EGT/Boost/Fuel Pressure, Otherwise all stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

i guess i'm on my own for this one, and therefore will probably err to side of caution then :-).

BJ

95 ECLB 4x4, DSS, HD X-over steering, auto., Hell bent 2.5" lvl, Thuren track bar, tabbed KDP, 4" MBRP, Autometer EGT/Boost/Fuel Pressure, Otherwise all stock.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 04:15 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_smokn View Post
i guess i'm on my own for this one, and therefore will probably err to side of caution then :-).

BJ
Donít have experience using a coolant bypass but you should have no issue plugging the heater core lines since the factory one has a valve thatís closed when the heater is not in use. Would be a cleaner look than looping the lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,577 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by myother4x4isaCJ7 View Post
....the factory one has a valve thatís closed when the heater is not in use.
No, coolant flows through the heater core at all times.
dd453ford likes this.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to GAmes For This Useful Post:
dd453ford (01-08-2020)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 01:06 AM
Diesel Freak

That's to keep it from plugging up.

95 3500 auto, bhaf, 4k, kdp, gauges, air bags, fuel htr delete, 33"s, dually spacers, 4.10 lim slip, 2" level, silicone hoses, tps delete, tcc switch
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 04:47 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
No, coolant flows through the heater core at all times.
Agreed, the heater core circuit is the primary bypass!
24hrsparkey likes this.

1995 RAM 2500 Club Cab Laramie SLT 2 W/D 5.9 P-Pump w/ NV4500 3.54 Dana 80. Nearly stock. Timed @ 15.5* Currently 318,000 miles and counting.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 09:15 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

I believe he is thinking of a first gen heater core circuit, where there is a vacuum actuated valve on the feed side near the firewall.

In regards to the op, I too have thought of doing something similar but could never get a straight answer as to whether it would work alright.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 09:26 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_valve_Cummins95 View Post
I believe he is thinking of a first gen heater core circuit, where there is a vacuum actuated valve on the feed side near the firewall.
The second gens donít have that? I could have swore the one I just parted out (a 1994) did. And I can tell you the first gen one flows zero when it is closed. I apologize to the OP if I am wrong. Maybe thatís why first and second gens have different thermostats?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by myother4x4isaCJ7 View Post
The second gens donít have that? I could have swore the one I just parted out (a 1994) did. And I can tell you the first gen one flows zero when it is closed. I apologize to the OP if I am wrong. Maybe thatís why first and second gens have different thermostats?
Although I disconnected my heater core lines (and looped in - out on the engine), I did install a new heater core (blocked openings) in case i wanted to use again in the future, and there were no valves in that coolant circuit.

BJ

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:46 PM
Diesel Head

Aside from the difference in diameter, first & second gen 12v stats are both 180f.

The single seal first gen uses it's jiggle pin to burp air, while the dual seal second gen uses the jiggle valve in the head.

Now ya got me thinking - I can't recall whether the second gen 12v uses a vacuum actuator in the heater line circuit or not.

On the first gens, the vacuum valve only shuts off flow in the OFF & Max AC positions.

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & SAE-20078 all year.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas.5z View Post
Aside from the difference in diameter, first & second gen 12v stats are both 180f.

The single seal first gen uses it's jiggle pin to burp air, while the dual seal second gen uses the jiggle valve in the head.

Now ya got me thinking - I can't recall whether the second gen 12v uses a vacuum actuator in the heater line circuit or not.

On the first gens, the vacuum valve only shuts off flow in the OFF & Max AC positions.
2nd gens do not have this valve.

Daily driver/ workhorse: 1994 2500SLT 4x4 Auto. Hewitt EGT, Boost, Trans gauges, Under hood Mech FP gauge, Trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, Mag-Hytec DD Transmission Pan, Ford manual hub conversion, Diamond eye 4" turbo back, 37337 Upgrade. 260K

98 2500slt 4x4 ECLB moldy G56, south bend clutch 3rd gen trac bar , boxed control arms, billet tappet cover w/ dual breathers trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, 4' stainless side dump with muffler 240k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode