Turbo Quit - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Quit

On the way home from a trip in the mountains of Colorado today, my truck just quit making boost and I had to accelerate with the swiftness of a fully loaded 18 wheeler just to keep my EGT's below 1200. I hadn't been driving it like I stole it or anything, and I am not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. I looked under the hood when I got home and didn't see anything that jumped out at me. How do I go about confirming my turbo is junk? It is the original HX35 I believe.

'97 2500 Club Cab SLT, Auto, DTT Smart Controller, 3" Carli Suspension Lift, Optix Trans Temp, EGT, and Boost Gauges, Tork Tek OFV, Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms, Synergy HD Steering Kit, 4.10 Gears, Toyo 315/75/16's, Posi-Lok CAD, AFC Live, FASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Have you checked to make sure there is no issues with the intercooler boots? Where they connect to the intercooler are real close to the inner fender and have had one rub a nice cut into it.

SOLD 96 2500 eclb
95 2500 rclb 2x4 4k's, 5x18's, studs, 60# springs, gauges, intake, exhaust, built trans, Detroit locker, airdog and electric fans
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:23 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,563 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Pull the intake hose off and check to see if the blades rub the housing.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin96 View Post
Have you checked to make sure there is no issues with the intercooler boots? Where they connect to the intercooler are real close to the inner fender and have had one rub a nice cut into it.
Also they are 20+ year old rubber if they've never been replaced (and they likely have not -- Old ones are perfectly good... right up until they aren't). Would expect to start seeing increasing numbers of failures of them here on the forum over the next few years. I replaced mine this past winter as I had the front end all apart anyway, and the originals definitely were starting to look a little cracked/rotten in a couple places.

1997 2500 CCLB, NV4500, 3.54s. 389k on the clock. Just getting broke in.
I talk a lot of crap and sometimes it might sound like I know what I'm talking about. I do not.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How does that pertain to a loss of boost? I thought the intercooler was for keeping the transmission cool.

Edit: Wow I should've looked that up before replying, I apologize. That's my next thing to check.

'97 2500 Club Cab SLT, Auto, DTT Smart Controller, 3" Carli Suspension Lift, Optix Trans Temp, EGT, and Boost Gauges, Tork Tek OFV, Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms, Synergy HD Steering Kit, 4.10 Gears, Toyo 315/75/16's, Posi-Lok CAD, AFC Live, FASS

Last edited by outofthebox; 10-14-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Didn't research before posting.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The blades are not rubbing the housing, they spin just fine by hand.

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin96 View Post
I checked all 4 boots. The top 2 look to be aftermarket and in good condition, the bottom 2 look original. I test drove the truck and hear an air sucking/blowing sound different from the intake when I put a little foot in the pedal. I assume one of the bottom boots is bad. I plan to replace all 4 just because that's what most kits seem to have. Will update after I do so. Thanks for the help!

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,563 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
You know you can pressure test the system to look for leaks. A smoke machine is optimal, but most people don't have one. Some PVC and a schrader valve is all you need. I'm still running the original boots, but a very long time ago an experienced owner clued me to the inner fenders cutting them so I bent the sheet metal away with a pair of pliers. If you are hearing air escaping from the intake I suggest you make sure that every bolt is in place on the cover.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles with un-additized diesel fuel. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:09 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
I plan to replace all 4 just because that's what most kits seem to have.
Tip: A little hairspray on the boots can help get the clamps on. Huge pain with the clamps sliding off and swiveling around on the slick new silicone when trying to tighten them down. Found that tip on some ricer forum, I think, and it'd have saved me a lot of time.

Of course I'm bald as a cue ball so I don't know what the heck else I'm gonna do with this bottle of hairspray.
BFD likes this.

1997 2500 CCLB, NV4500, 3.54s. 389k on the clock. Just getting broke in.
I talk a lot of crap and sometimes it might sound like I know what I'm talking about. I do not.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:

After too much time unavailable to do any physical troubleshooting and much time for thought put in to the issue, I decided the smart thing to do would be to pressure test the system prior to any random parts purchases. I built a pressure test cap and I found a leak (the bubbles are kinda hard to see), but I have no idea what the fitting is called. The link below includes 3 pictures and shows the fitting from 2 angles, I believe the other end of the hose connects to the waste-gate actuator but I can't see. I appreciate any help!

https://imgur.com/a/NBGQP8I
moxiecat likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to outofthebox For This Useful Post:
crf450x (11-24-2019)
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 10:05 PM
On call 24/7

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,110 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
There has to be more of a leak than that to cause a no boost situation. You need to remove the brass elbow and put some teflon tape on it if its leaking.

1998 12v, 4x4, Club Cab, Carli, Thuren, BlueTop, Core 4x4, BD Diesel, PDD 5x.012, South Bend
2012 Laramie Longhorn, EFI by Ryan, Carli, Thuren
1995 Dually, Weston's 5x.016, 4k GSK, 5" FloPro, 255/85r16 Toyo M/T, Goerend, ARP, 60# Springs, BW 62/65/14, BW 75/96/1.10, Isspro, Fass 125, BDP Sump, 7mm DV's, 751 HP 1883 FP Torque on NOS
1998 P-Pumped 24v, 4x4, NV4500 swap
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is there a trick for the pinch clamp? Can I reuse it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode