My fun and hopefully reliable daily to keep forever - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Rally Point

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My fun and hopefully reliable daily to keep forever

My truck is either hailed or hated. I started with a 95 2500 auto SRW 4wd CC Longbed. It already had:<br>
1. Flexalite dual fans<br>
2. wastegate actuator disabled<br>
3. no fuel plate, modded AFC arm<br>
4. some ugly wiring of aftermarket accessories<br>
5. EGT, Trans temp, Boost gauges in pillar<br>
6. Sonnax accumulator, billet apply lever, billet strut<br>
7. I was told it has a dual disc converter(I haven't actually looked at the converter)<br>
8. KDP tabbed<br>
9. Banks powerpack<br>
10. some (in my opinion) idiotic front suspension... Long arms on the bottom and stock on top.<br>
<br>
typical falling apart dash<br>
<br>
Since I've had it, I cut the rusty stuff out out of the cab and made a new trans tunnel and front floor panels, making a new dash. I took out AC and the PCM because I don't like them. So yeah, I rewired a bunch of stuff, while I was at it put two AGM batteries in the custom center console, internal regulator for the alternator, mechanical fuel shutoff, four point harnesses since I don't have airbags. BHAF, fender exhaust, I shimmed the governor springs with washers, I put a deep transmission pan on it, deleted the heat exchanger, put in a cable shifter... not too much else significant that i remember off the top of my head. <br>
<br>
I've done absolutely everything myself and realize there are some others who have also deleted the stupid PCM. My "Run" switch powers: Trans solenoids, fan, alternator field, instruments, brake and signal lights. SIMPLE<br>
<br>
The two dilemmas were the speedometer and fuel sending unit. From what I understand, the stock speedo sender won't work with anything but the PCM. So I added a GPS box and antenna for that. From what I understand, the fuel level sending unit graduates OHMs reverse of standard and even with a calibrated aftermarket gauge will read empty when full, and full when empty. EASY SOLUTION HOPEFULLY... I plan on flipping the arm and float around modding it so it moves in reverse of stock and will then work with my programmable gauge.<br>
<br>
Things someone may or may not hate about my truck:<br>
FENDER EXHAUST<br>
NO AC<br>
MANUAL lockup and Overdrive Selection.<br>
FOUR POINT HARNESS on a DD<br>
AND then there's the people who shake their head and mumble "damn hicks"<br>
<br>
In my opinion, the truck works great the way I have it set up right now and has been incredibly reliable.&nbsp; However I'm greedy and want a little more.&nbsp; I've been driving it daily with no AC and don't mind even in the Alabama Summer. It is pretty noisy with the fender exhaust, but surprisingly it doesn't get all that much soot on the side of the truck. <br>
<br>
I drive it hard sometimes... I need better suspension <br>
<br>
I plan on:<br>
Goerend Manual VB with lockup capability in 1st and second. I will wire a momentary off pressure switch on the shift lever to unlock during shifts.<br>
Goerend Triple disc converter<br>
I want to rebuild the trans myself and add frictions, replace seals etc.<br>
I'm considering 5x11 SAC injector nozzles and shims from PDD for now. <br>
Stiffer valvesprings<br>
Better headstuds<br>
I'd like a bigger turbo in the future, or a compound system and then appropriate fuel upgrades. <br>
I like simplicity, so I'm looking at the "Hotrod" modded mechanical lift pump from PDD.<br>
I havn't decided on suspension as of yet, but I'm considering three link in front and fourlink rear. <br>
Eventually I'd like to put disc brakes on the rear and one day find a Dana 80 for the front.( I will put kingpin 60 outers on it. I plan on running 37inch tires and from personal experience ball joints suck for that... I hate replacing them all the time.&nbsp; And kingpins are my preference.<br>
<br>
I'll post some pictures of my beloved junk in a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to GunSlayer For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (09-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:40 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Is this thread just a build thread or were you asking a question? I am confused. If it's a build thread, dont waste your time. If it's a question, please repost just the question.

98 12v SC 4X4 114K Miles, A5K, SDX 5X18, 4K GSK, KDP, Custom VB, Deep Pan, Peak Diesel IC/B, Devils Own W/M, Head Studs, 60lb VS, 2095 Rack Plug, Barrels moved, Guages (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp), Timed 22*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:43 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,450 Times in 2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nSaEvAyL View Post
Is this thread just a build thread or were you asking a question? I am confused. If it's a build thread, dont waste your time. If it's a question, please repost just the question.
Awfully friendly and inviting aren't you? Way to welcome a new guy.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
The Following User Says Thank You to the man in black For This Useful Post:
GunSlayer (09-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Rally Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nSaEvAyL View Post
Well, It may or may not be a build thread to you... depends on your definition of such. I don't believe I specifically questioned anything in the previous post, however I ask you why do you think I'd be wasting my time by starting a build thread? And also why you advise me against doing so?

I think that by participating in any sort of informational thread, one can increase their capability by using collective knowledge held by a broad group of people rather than limiting their information to only personal knowledge and experience. Surely, you understand that quick and efficient exchange of information improves overall situational awareness and the ability to initiate an appropriate action.

Now, hopefully you aren't so confused as to why I'd take advantage of my forum membership, SEAL.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Rally Point

Here's some random crappy pics I've taken of it...

Last edited by dauntless89; 10-08-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Rally Point

I'll try and manage to capture some recent pictures... Building it and driving it can be challenging, but doable.

Last edited by dauntless89; 10-08-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:40 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

The pics make all the difference. I'll retract what I said. I am now intrigued by this build. I like the switches it looks like an airplane pit.

Problem is alot of people on here talk about doing a build and never do. Looks like you are well on your way with somthing interesting.

98 12v SC 4X4 114K Miles, A5K, SDX 5X18, 4K GSK, KDP, Custom VB, Deep Pan, Peak Diesel IC/B, Devils Own W/M, Head Studs, 60lb VS, 2095 Rack Plug, Barrels moved, Guages (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp), Timed 22*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Looking good RPM

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter, and cassette tapes all year.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyPointMotorsports View Post
From what I understand, the fuel level sending unit graduates OHMs reverse of standard and even with a calibrated aftermarket gauge will read empty when full, and full when empty. EASY SOLUTION HOPEFULLY... I plan on flipping the arm and float around modding it so it moves in reverse of stock and will then work with my programmable gauge.
FYI you might look into a sending unit from the 98-02's. They are structurally identical to the 94-97 units -- will drop right in and plug right up to the harness -- but they're reversed in terms of resistance values. (probably a different range too, don't have the values offhand). Might work for ya. Bought one by accident some years ago, was kind of fun to see the fuel gauge slowly go up...

1997 2500 CCLB, NV4500, 4.10s.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Do you have more interior pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95 2WD 47RH
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

How are you cutting all the sheet metal? Do you have a water jet or plasma table? Or are you free handing all those?

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I'll bet it gets good mileage?

03 Dodge SHO QCLB Dually w/Custom side exit exhaust-Banks intercooler-4" side draft intake-Thuren 3.0 Argon filled Shocks-radius arms-SRW 4 link Conversion-17"methods-42" Squishy's- 4.56's-Griffin Radiator-elec fans & water pump=25.263 mpg legit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode