Just lost my turbo - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just lost my turbo

Picking up speed to get on the highway, gears shifting great turbo whine was excellent... Untill it wasn't. I heard a sputter then then feel a loss of power with some grinding every time i touch the gas but with the clutch in im coasting smooth. I know i shot my turbo. I limped it into a parking lot and pull off the intake. Turns out the nut fell off and destroyed the blades.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? Im looking for great replacements maybe even upgrades. Also with the blades destroyed on an intake path what should i look for so the engine does not get damaged?

96 dodge ram 3500, manual, 4x4, golden fuel system
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:17 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,747 Times in 1,531 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
It's doubtful any shrapnel could get through the CAC all the way to the engine. I would pull it off and get it cleaned out if the duct is full of metal.

There are dozens of options for a replacement, all based on engine fueling, planned modifications and budget. For stock to 300HP an HX-35 is as good as any.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I didnt think it could get all the way to the engine but its nice to have the worry settled. I am not wise in the way of turbos and would like to price some a little bigger. everything is stock at this point but i would like to get bigger injectors in the future. what would be a great upgraded turbo that could give me a bit more power without going crazy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:54 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimarine View Post
what would be a great upgraded turbo that could give me a bit more power without going crazy?
Turbos don't give you power, only air. Added fuel gives you more power. Decide what power level you want, then buy a turbo (and all the fuel enhancements) to get you there. Do you have a goal or some type of plan? As I said, a stock HX-35 will easily support 300 HP. In my case (stock 215 HP at the flywheel engine), I didn't have to buy new injectors either. A fuel plate and some tuning put me at 313/756 TQ at the wheels.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I understand it doesnt give you power alone. Im running all stock manual trans thats about 215HP, looking at injectors i dont think i would use more than +90HP injectors. +90 gets me around the 300HP for a HX35. I think i would like to use a turbo around 300-350 to support future upgrades. I think i would also like to see faster response at lower RPMs but not completely lag when i step on it at 65mph, which seems to be the give and take of spooling.

Now the fuel plate, did you really get almost 100HP out of the fuel plate alone, or is my ignorance reading your "313/756" wrong? If i could get the same (i would like to know what fuel plate your using) that would put me in the 400 HP range. Do they make a turbo that you can run stock and reach that 400 HP range?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimarine View Post
I understand it doesnt give you power alone. Im running all stock manual trans thats about 215HP, looking at injectors i dont think i would use more than +90HP injectors. +90 gets me around the 300HP for a HX35. I think i would like to use a turbo around 300-350 to support future upgrades. I think i would also like to see faster response at lower RPMs but not completely lag when i step on it at 65mph, which seems to be the give and take of spooling.

Now the fuel plate, did you really get almost 100HP out of the fuel plate alone, or is my ignorance reading your "313/756" wrong? If i could get the same (i would like to know what fuel plate your using) that would put me in the 400 HP range. Do they make a turbo that you can run stock and reach that 400 HP range?
The term "+90HP injectors" is a worthless term. Injectors are described by hole size, number of holes and spray angle. For instance, 5X14, 45 degrees. Somewhere in the archives is a post that talks about the hole sizes of the stock injectors. There is no standard for "90 HP injectors".

I've used two fuel plates. A #11 with 16 degrees of timing put me at 297/611 and a custom ground plate designed for towing with 15 degrees of timing put me where I am at now. Increase timing-increase turbo lag. The custom plate was designed by a Bosch shop owner in Austin, TX (who tows an RV with his '96) and installed while my pump was there to fix an oil leak. You read it right, I've made no other changes. Actually, the plates produced well over 100 HP. The 215 rating is measured at the flywheel. The 313 was measured at the tires after drivetrain drag. I estimate flywheel HP/TQ is about 385 with over 900 TQ. IMO, that is why I went through 12 NV4500s which are rated at 440 TQ. HP costs money, be careful what you ask for.

They make lots of turbos, and I'm the last guy you want to ask for recommendations. I've never done the research since I'm happy with what I have. There are facts and opinions regarding turbos and compound turbos galore on the forum, most of them in the performance pages. The trick is to figure out which members are blowing smoke and which actually have a handle on the subject. If you PM me I'll tell you who I think fits those categories.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode