Priming issue, will run on full fuel filter and then die - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Priming issue, will run on full fuel filter and then die

Hey guys brand new to this forum, I’m trying to figure this thing out. My work has a 96 F800 with the 5.9 in it and an Allison backing it. I don’t know how much different this 5.9 is from any other. I’ve searched and searched and cannot find much info about this thing. So basically I pulled the full tank on this thing because it was leaking, had it patched and sealed. Replaced the tank and filled it up, primed the s*** out of the system to the best of my ability and couldn’t get it started. I’ve tried pressurizing the system, bleeding the system, using a hint of ether, and just about everything else all of the forums have said. If I fill up the fuel filter and use the priming while having someone crank we can get it going and it’ll run off the fuel in the filter for about 20 or 30 seconds and then stall. I’ve check the tank to make sure the pick up tube isn’t clogged, I’ve used and electric fuel pump to the Ip and it doesn’t really want to start there but I could probably get it to go. Anyway my main question is does this sound like a bad lift pump? The truck ran fine before I pulled the tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:35 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,180 Times in 2,037 Posts
When your bleeding the system at the filters bleeder are you seeing many air bubbles, also with the bleeder open crank the engine over and watch to see how much fuel comes out. Should be about 15 psi on a good LP at idle.

84 K5 Blazer 97 12v, 47re with E-TransControl, Dodge Dana 60 with free spin hubs, Dana 70, B&M Mega shifter

96 F350 SC dually zf5, 4x4, 92 Cummins, THD 5x12's, THD fuel pin, THD HVLP with adjustable fuel pressure mod, WM, h1c 60/60/12cm WG wired
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9297oldram View Post
When your bleeding the system at the filters bleeder are you seeing many air bubbles, also with the bleeder open crank the engine over and watch to see how much fuel comes out. Should be about 15 psi on a good LP at idle.
Well when I manually fill up the fuel filter and bleed it I can get a steady stream of fuel. Yeah I doubt I’m getting anywhere near 15 psi, but I think I’ll try that next. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Cummins Nut

You must do more searches and download and consult the factory service manual. When you've read every post on this forum and have read the entire service manual come back.

Ok, just kidding.

I had a lift pump die on me after I parked in my driveway. Fine one day and dead the next. Also, sucking air from somewhere is possible too. The suction lines won't show fuel leaks always.

95 3500 auto, bhaf, 4k, kdp, gauges, air bags, fuel htr delete, 33"s, dually spacers, 4.10 lim slip, 2" level, silicone hoses, tps delete, tcc switch
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire god View Post
You must do more searches and download and consult the factory service manual. When you've read every post on this forum and have read the entire service manual come back.

Ok, just kidding.

I had a lift pump die on me after I parked in my driveway. Fine one day and dead the next. Also, sucking air from somewhere is possible too. The suction lines won't show fuel leaks always.
Almost had me haha

Well the thing is the truck was running great before I pulled the tank, started right up every time no issue. So that’s why I’m leaning more towards the lift pump and not the lines
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:16 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I’d run the fuel line over into a clean bucket of diesel and try it. It sounds like you might have a fuel line pinched or restricted. Typically when I have something fail or malfunction I go to the last thing that I worked on. You saying it ran fine before dropping the tank would lead me to believe the problem lies somewhere between it and the lift pump
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Stupid question but is there any way you could have the inlet and return lines to the tank swapped? Ive seen that on a big truck fuel tank once.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:08 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,180 Times in 2,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterfields40 View Post
Id run the fuel line over into a clean bucket of diesel and try it. It sounds like you might have a fuel line pinched or restricted. Typically when I have something fail or malfunction I go to the last thing that I worked on. You saying it ran fine before dropping the tank would lead me to believe the problem lies somewhere between it and the lift pump
Try this it will rule out a possible problem with the tank or lines to it.

84 K5 Blazer 97 12v, 47re with E-TransControl, Dodge Dana 60 with free spin hubs, Dana 70, B&M Mega shifter

96 F350 SC dually zf5, 4x4, 92 Cummins, THD 5x12's, THD fuel pin, THD HVLP with adjustable fuel pressure mod, WM, h1c 60/60/12cm WG wired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode