Trying to extend the life - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By GAmes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Trying to extend the life

I am trying to extend the life of my '98 12V 4wd quad cab. I have about 160k on it. I have rebuilt the front axle and am currently rebuilding the rear, as I have a lot of play in the pinion. Also done the ktab mod, and pretty much just changed oil and filters regularly. Oh, also a transmission rebuild about 20k back. Also front wheel bearings. Any suggestions as to how to extend the life of the truck would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:28 AM
Diesel Head

Welcome,
I suggest reading the beginner's threads/stickies....learn about the truck then ask detailed questions....
I'm similar to what you are asking...longevity and efficiency are what drive my decisions....

98-4x4 5spd
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,730 Times in 1,516 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence7711 View Post
Any suggestions as to how to extend the life of the truck would be helpful.
Nothing to it. Perform scheduled maintenance. Fix every little thing that quits working asap rather than letting them add up to fix "one of these days".
98whitelightnin likes this.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
Nothing to it. Perform scheduled maintenance. Fix every little thing that quits working asap rather than letting them add up to fix "one of these days".
This, Also use quality parts when performing repairs.

1997 ECLB - 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe - ISSpro Trans temp/EGT/Boost - AFC Live - boost elbow - 191s - Built trans - BHAF - ARP 425s - PSC SG852 - 315/75/16
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Cummins Fan

One thing I would advise is get a good dash cover and a windshield sun cover. Use it . My dash and the structure is shot. Big bucks and a pain to fix.

1995 2500 4WD ECLB 5 Speed 3K GSK #6 TST 16.5* 405+K miles ATS manifold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2750 mile range
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence7711 View Post
I am trying to extend the life of my '98 12V 4wd quad cab. I have about 160k on it.
160k is not even broken in yet!! Only half-kidding on that, but these engines will pretty well run forever - I've got just under 400k on mine and there are a few million-milers around here. The life of a lot of the rubber/plastic tends to be a function of years, rather than miles, though, so there's some parts (intercooler boots, front/rear seals, vacuum and heater hoses come to mind offhand) that probably could do with an inspection or just a pre-emptive replacement. 160k seems very early for axle rebuilds, but I don't know the 4WD setup well.

1997 2500 CCLB, NV4500, 4.10s.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,730 Times in 1,516 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackDOHC View Post
This, Also use quality parts when performing repairs.
Good additional info.

To add to that, there are dozens of posts and threads on the forum about good and bad products. Rather than beat a dead horse I urge the OP to do some research.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Yup, 160 seems too soon, but I did quite a bit of hauling loads for a couple years, 10lb sailboats north to south and back on the west coast, and 4 trips across the country hauling a loaded 20 ft shipping container on a trailer. The loads finally caught up with me. I wish I had the dana 80 instead of the 70u. Sounds like they are more durable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode