FSS ground wire location question... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
FSS ground wire location question...

My FSS burnt up the other day....well, at least is started to and was super hot. In so doing, it fried more than a few wires behind my dash for some reason. I changed it (probably prematurely) along with fuseable links, starter contacts, and relay. Still will not start. Only thing not changed was the ignition switch in the steering column. I found that the ground wire (black on the FSS harness) is getting 9vDC when the key is in the run position. Pretty sure that isn't suppose to be there and I am NO electrical genius at all! "Pull" wire 12vDC when cranking....."Hold" wire 12vDC with ignition to run. Where does that ground go to on the truck? Possibly a wire burnt behind the dash is the culprit?? In theory, could I cut that ground wire on the FSS harness and hard ground it to the truck chassis? 1995 5.9L auto 4x4.

1995 Ram 2500 4x4 inline
140,000 Second Owner
unmolested (as of yet) #stocker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Cummins Nut

You should have 12VDC on the FSS ground. Yes, you probably could change the ground source location - though you can build your electrical skills by tracing it down... Check the stickies at the top of the forum - there is one with links to download a free factory service manual (FSM) for your year. Wiring diagrams will be in the FSM. Or if you want a paper version, Genos Garage sells paper versions.

Any idea why it started to burn up? Did the starter hang?

'96 2500 club-cab, long bed, 2WD - Dipricol trans/boost/pyro gauges, ISSPRO fuel pressure gauge, +2qt Chrysler trans pan, Sport headlight retrofit & suvlights conversion harness, fuel heater deleted, KDP tabbed, Raybestos WC37290 (1-1/16") wheel cylinders
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

My only guess is the starter contacts....and that is from reading other posts from around the entire web! I started the engine....it ran for approx. 30 seconds....then the FSS started smoking and I couldn't shut the engine down. Had to pull the ENG fuse in the cab...

1995 Ram 2500 4x4 inline
140,000 Second Owner
unmolested (as of yet) #stocker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Cummins Fan

I'm not %100 sure, but I think the FSS ground is one of the grounds on the front of the head by the injection pump. Pull one and see if you lose the ground to the FSS.

97 Ram 2500 extended cab 4x4, stock motor, 47re auto.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Cummins Fan

If I remember right it grounds at G112.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	845711  

1997 ECLB - 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe - ISSpro Trans temp/EGT/Boost - AFC Live - boost elbow - 191s - Built trans - BHAF - ARP 425s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode