47re intermediate shaft and retaining piston stuck. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
47re intermediate shaft and retaining piston stuck.

Hey all!

Rebuilding my transmission when I realized that my intermediate shaft is not wanting to go through the low-reverse drum and into the retaining piston. It had issues coming out too, and was stuck in the overdrive unit when I pulled it apart. Assumed the splines had somehow got out of alignment or something. Had a local shop rebuild the O/D unit (for free! great people) and they told me there was 0 issues inside the O/D unit.

When trying to re-assemble the tranny, i was unable to stick the assembled geartrain through the rear as a unit, as the intermediate REFUSED to enter the rear retaining piston. (attached a few pictures for the curious.) I am able to put the intermediate shaft in by threading it in backwards, ie putting it into the transmission from the back instead of the front, but it wouldn't freely spin until I kind of worked it in. Now it is freely spinning, but i still cannot get it into the retaining piston from the front without a hammer.

Any ideas? The splines all look good, albeit a bit dirty. Theres no burring that i can feel on the Intermediate shaft, but there is a bit of scratching near the end of the retaining piston. Everything looks suitable good, so I'm definitely confused.

Edit ; Transmission was rebuilt because of clutch material in the pan. Was still working when I pulled it, and couldn't even feel a lot of slip, but kept clogging my transducer and governor solenoid. Assuming the TC was the culprit, as all the clutches I pulled looked pretty good and there wasn't much burning i could see.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	845005   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	845007   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	845009   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	845011  

1996 12v extra cab, 120hp Injectors, #10 fuel plate, II Phatshaft 62/71/12 mm, 3k gov springs,
HTS Transmission & shafts w/ Goerend triple disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode