Tach jumping and Overdrive not working - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By GAmes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Tach jumping and Overdrive not working

Hello all, I have a 97 2500 2wd 12v. The tach is jumping around and the trans wont shift into overdrive, the Gen light stays on. Ive searched on here everything I've found says if its crank speed sensor on harmonic balancer is bad the the alternator and a/c wont work either but mine work fine. The transmission was completely rebuilt new torque converter new valve body according to trans shop someone had been in trans painted the torture converter and it had peeled off going into everything and supposedly the valve body was trashed. When I picked up it today still no overdrive and tach jumping. (After they were gone of course.) I am wondering could the TPS cause these 2 issues or am I wrong. No flash codes and when I hook scanner up no codes. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:27 PM

Definitely sounds like the ESS. My tach would bounce around intermitently because one of the wires would periodically short out on the block where it had rubbed through due to vibration. I never lost AC and didn't notice the charging issue at first either but it would play havoc with the transmission.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I found 2 of the 3 wires going to the low side of injection pump rubbed raw no insulation this morning, it plugs into the throttle plate down on the side, going to repair those and cross fingers. With a feeler gauge the ESS gap is .50 I believe I read thats about stock?

<~~ There are very few problems that cannot be solved with the proper application of high explosives ~~>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:30 PM

Computer Controlled ground for Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke1 View Post
Hello all, I have a 97 2500 2wd 12v. The tach is jumping around and the trans wont shift into overdrive, the Gen light stays on. Ive searched on here everything I've found says if its crank speed sensor on harmonic balancer is bad the the alternator and a/c wont work either but mine work fine. The transmission was completely rebuilt new torque converter new valve body according to trans shop someone had been in trans painted the torture converter and it had peeled off going into everything and supposedly the valve body was trashed. When I picked up it today still no overdrive and tach jumping. (After they were gone of course.) I am wondering could the TPS cause these 2 issues or am I wrong. No flash codes and when I hook scanner up no codes. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Many people make this mistake when overdrive goes out... The ground for Overdrive is controlled by the computer. Quick fix... check the ground off the computer or replace the computer.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:31 PM

Tach will more than likely be the tach cable
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

I repair wires overdrive started working and tach stopped jumping until I retaped the wires then back to jumping and no overdrive

<~~ There are very few problems that cannot be solved with the proper application of high explosives ~~>
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,472 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselMech1981 View Post
Tach will more than likely be the tach cable
Tach cable?? Have a part number for that?
Loud Pedal likes this.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
Tach cable?? Have a part number for that?
or a picture of one in place

98-4x4 5spd
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes picture/part number

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok so today after work I installed new VSS, truck shifts in and out of overdrive, tach still jumps a little until I turn A/C on then it doesn't jump but still no overdrive and no charging any help would be greatly appreciated

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,472 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
All of those wires are depicted in the wire diagrams that are in the factory service manual. Have you done continuity checks and short to ground checks on them?

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

No I haven't, I ordered a factory service manual and I'm waiting on it to get here. I pulled the truck by vin on mitchell1 at work but NONE of wires matced. So I'm awaiting my service manual. After reading other threads, I'm going to get a can of electric parts cleaner from work and go through all connections with that. Very aggravating

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode