AFC Cab control for an RV - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
AFC Cab control for an RV

I have a 93 Vectra with a 2nd Generation 6BTA5.9. I am considering installing some type of AFC control (AFC Live or Attitude Adjuster).

I want to run it as efficiently as possible on level ground and the ability to crank it up climbing hills.

AFC Live might be an easier install because I only need to run vacuum lines but it seems to need more tweaking as you drive. (Alright for me but my wife would probably murder me in my sleep if she had to drive it.)

The Attitude Adjuster requires me to make some form of mechanical linkage between two points 35' apart but it appears to be much easier to make the general adjustments I would like.

Anyone have some experience with this or ideas?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,534 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazot View Post

I want to run it as efficiently as possible on level ground and the ability to crank it up climbing hills.
A common misconception is if you build and tune an engine for higher HP than stock that fuel mileage will suffer. The only reason that would happen is if the new found power is constantly being employed. It stands to reason that if you have new found power with an in cab controller you would also suffer lower mileage. I can tell you for a fact that my mileage did not change by installing a different profile plate (two different ones actually) and adjusting the AFC to minimize smoke (unburned fuel). My driving habits on level ground remained the same and I have extra power if I need it when driving in the mountains. The whole process took less time and cost a lot less than either of the in cab controllers. AFC live is a great gizmo for those who constantly tinker and modify their engines and also those who occasionally race. In my case, if I had one, it would become a dash ornament once I had it dialed in. I suspect that would be the case for you also.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I'm not sure a single profile will work best for me.

My vehicle is over 22,000lbs and is pulling a toad. On level ground the stock 230HP set up pushes it along nicely, on any significant hills I have to push the engine more than I care to.

I am hoping to achieve something like they have on aircraft where you can lean out the fuel to extend your range when you are cruising and then turn it richer when conditions call for it.

Not sure if it can be done but I would like to know if it is possible to do with out constant tweaking..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Diesel Head

When I'm working I'm often at 22,000 or higher. Don't confuse a gasoline aircraft engine operation to that of a diesel engine. Diesels are constantly leaning and enriching the fuel to air ratio. I assume you have a boost gauge and an EGT gauge. When they go up the diesel to air ratio gets higher. When you descend a hill they get lower and the diesel to air ratio is significantly reduced. It is the throttle pedal that dictates the mixture. Jet engine and gas turbine engines do the same. You demand more power, the fuel is added, the compressor turns faster and the thrust/torque goes up accordingly.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I do understand what you are saying and how IC engines work.

(Diesels are constantly leaning and enriching the fuel to air ratio.) All engines do this through various means. That is exactly why I am looking into the ability to change the profile to fit the situation.

By changing the fuel air mixture you can change the power/EGT and consumption of an engine. I am just looking for ways to do this without going in and changing my fuel plate every time the requirements change.

Have you used some form of manual adjustable AFC system?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Diesel Head

No, gasoline engines in cars and pickups do not do it through various means. The ratio is always the same if it is running as designed.

Changing the fuel plate only changes the torque profile at heavy throttle. During normal operation the plate design is inconsequential. That is the reason my mileage didn't suffer. I seldom demand high power. I only went to a different profile because it better suited towing than the first plate did, IOW, take off from a stop. No, I have never used an adjustable AFC system. They don't fit into my needs. Once I had my engine set up I have not seen any reason to change it.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you again for your assistance. I do appreciate it.

I am hoping to get some input from those who have used a manual adjustable AFC system in my type of situation (DP motor home) to see if it worth further investigation.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazot View Post
Thank you again for your assistance. I do appreciate it.

I am hoping to get some input from those who have used a manual adjustable AFC system in my type of situation (DP motor home) to see if it worth further investigation.
No problem. Good luck.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
No, gasoline engines in cars and pickups do not do it through various means. The ratio is always the same if it is running as designed.
Actually, this practice is extremely common and IS achieved through various means on a variety of vehicles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean-burn). What you said was completely correct for a diesel however.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Diesel Head

As always there are exceptions to the rule. It seems that none of the exceptions worked well.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:32 PM

It seems so, in terms of kazot's desired application/operation.

94 2500 12V 2WD Standard Cab, Long Box, 5SPD. Bone Stock.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I have AFC Live and it has made tuning the pump easier, but once set I seldom adjust it.
Tuning it for flat ground or empty running, then readjusting it for hills or loads is a waist of time.
My truck and trailer weigh around 15,000 lbs and I normally load 10-15,000 lbs on the trailer.
I have AFCL set for clean running and not over 1250 degrees egt on a hard pull loaded, no need to readjust for empty or flat ground, you just don't have to mash the throttle pedal as much, the pump take care go the rest.
A simple #10 fuel plate in that 230 engine would put it in the 300+hp range and on the edge of the egt limits for you app.

Mine-04 F-450 SCFB 4X4 drw,5.9 12v 215 Ppump,ZF 6,KYclutch,KDP fixed,gauges,5x12's,15deg,3k GSK,60#,AFC Live, Super B single,Pusher intake,D celebrator brake,07 coil spring front conversion.
Her's-18 F-150 STX SC, 4x4, 5.0
Toy- 64 Fairlane, future 406FE, 3 Holley 2bbls, 4 spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode