Delo 400 sde. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Delo 400 sde.

Ok, so it's been about 5 month since I changed my oil and filter, and this is the first time I've used the new formula Delo 400 sde.I have use delo 400 and my Dad has used delo 400.What's changed is I've notice the oil has stayed clean looking after 5 month's, before, after a couple of day's with the old formula, the oil would be black again. Is this normal? Plus I notice the oil pressure fluctuates more,stays in the normal range , the needle just moves more than it did before, about 45 to 50 on start up, and once warmed up 35 in gear at idle, and driving 40 to 45. .HAS ANY ONE USED THE NEW FORMULA, WITH THE SAME RESULTS?Here is a pic of the oil now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1121.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	745866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1122 (1).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	745874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1123 (1).jpg
Views:	181
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	745882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1351.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	745890  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,520 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Oil is oil, but if the Delo isn't picking up and suspending soot I wonder where it is going. Ever had an oil analysis done?

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
If you are lucky enough to be in Texas, you are lucky enough.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
Oil is oil, but if the Delo isn't picking up and suspending soot I wonder where it is going. Ever had an oil analysis done?
No, where do I get that done? or can you pick up a kit to send in for analysis.I'm running the FLEETGUARD LF16035 StrataPore oil filter for the first time, will it keep the oil cleaner? The oil says its compatible with API Service Category;CJ-4,CI-4 PLUS and ALL prior Category.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 AM
Diesel Head

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/cc2525/oil-filters There are a few places that sell the kits for less in bulk, or Blackstone labs who I believe will send you a kit and you pay when you send it in.

Soot particles are too small to be captured by a filter, even the bypass filtered trucks' oil turns black. I used Fleetguard Stratapores since my truck was new up until about two years ago when I switched to the Fleetguard LF9028 which has a built in bypass. The bypass portion is 2 micron compared to the 10 micron of the Stratapore element. I've extended my drains to 25,000 miles with 12,500 filter changes.

97 3500, 2 WD, G56, slightly bombed, 1.3 million miles. Started the second million on 8/24/13
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Cummins Nut

Before I found out about Polaris Labs and started buying their test kits in 10-packs, I got an UOA kit or two from the local Cummins distributor (Southern Plains Cummins). I think Polaris actually did (maybe still does) the testing on the Cummins kits - that's just my impression from the look/feel of presentation of the test results at the time. If there is a Cummins dealer near you, try them - or perhaps a heavy duty truck dealer with a parts/service department.

'96 2500 club-cab, long bed, 2WD - Dipricol trans/boost/pyro gauges, ISSPRO fuel pressure gauge, +2qt Chrysler trans pan, Sport headlight retrofit & suvlights conversion harness, fuel heater deleted, KDP tabbed, Raybestos WC37290 (1-1/16") wheel cylinders
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasprd View Post
...... or perhaps a heavy duty truck dealer with a parts/service department.
To add to that, if the service dept has a desk top analysis SAVE YOUR MONEY!! They are not reliable......period. Send your sample to a lab. Monitor is the company that Fleetguard samples go to, so Polaris is a third choice.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
My oil has never "instantly" tuned black. It slowly gets dark after some time. It's black when I change it. Oil analysis have always looked good.

I rarely rev past 2000RPM, and I've always assumed the engine was just tight. It's been doing this since I bought it 70,000 miles ago. I ran K/N on the filters first time around then after getting slapped around on this forum I switched to fleetgaurd on the filters. I used to run Rotela T6 synthetic but Valvoline synthetic is always on sale and is cheaper plus I noticed slightly better wear on the UOA with Valvoline.

Your fine, ignore it. As for your gauge make sure your grounds are clean and tight I had some loose grounds that made my gauges go haywire

Daily driver/ workhorse: 1994 2500SLT 4x4 Auto. Hewitt EGT, Boost, Trans gauges, Under hood Mech FP gauge, Trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, Mag-Hytec DD Transmission Pan, Ford manual hub conversion, Diamond eye 4" turbo back, 37337 Upgrade. 260K

98 2500slt 4x4 ECLB moldy G56, south bend clutch 3rd gen trac bar , boxed control arms, billet tappet cover w/ dual breathers trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, 4' stainless side dump with muffler 240k
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey alanack6795, I just checked the mileage since I did the oil and filter and its been 1,932 miles and the oil still looks new. I was just concerned the oil was not doing its job, I think when I change the oil ,I might do the oil analysis thing,to see what's going on. The gauge problem, I'll check my grounds and may add a new ground, my 74 bronco I added two new grounds and that fixed my gauge problem on the bronco. Thanks Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1350.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	746482  

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Looks totally normal to me.

Daily driver/ workhorse: 1994 2500SLT 4x4 Auto. Hewitt EGT, Boost, Trans gauges, Under hood Mech FP gauge, Trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, Mag-Hytec DD Transmission Pan, Ford manual hub conversion, Diamond eye 4" turbo back, 37337 Upgrade. 260K

98 2500slt 4x4 ECLB moldy G56, south bend clutch 3rd gen trac bar , boxed control arms, billet tappet cover w/ dual breathers trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, 4' stainless side dump with muffler 240k
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well it look like it take's 2000 miles, to make this oil dirty
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1354.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	747842  

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 07:50 PM

When I worked for Halliburton, all that was used was Delo in our 2500hp frac pumps. These pumps used either Cummins QSX V-16's or Cat V-12. They pretty much spent their entire life either running wide-open or idling for hours on end. Not a kind life on these engines. I think I only saw one of these engines fail, blew the side right out of the engine, connecting rod, piston and all. I'm pretty sure any variety of Delo is good.

'92 W250, 46RH, 62mm compressor, 18cm2 turbine housing, 4" exhaust, Dana Power-Lok rear diff.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
Monitor is the company that Fleetguard samples go to, so Polaris is a third choice.
"Monitor" is the name of Cummins Filtration's oil-analysis service, not the lab that does the analysis - per the Cummins Filtration site "With Cummins Filtration convenient and effective Monitor™ Fluid Analysis program..." and from a PDF about the Monitor service "Monitor™ Analysis is a service provided by Fleetguard through dealers to individuals or companies" - Monitor is not the company that actually does the testing, it's just Cummins Filtration/Fleetguard "rebadging" someone else's testing and management system.

I found a Polaris Labs announcement/ that lists some of the companies that Polaris does private-label testing for: "POLARIS Laboratories® is an independent fluid analysis company headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. ... The company serves more than 165,000 customers in 90 countries directly and through more than 125 private label fluid analysis programs, such as Chevron, Phillips 66, Ingersoll Rand, MTU and Cummins Filtration." (The text-bolding is mine)

In fact, the login link on the first page I referenced goes to eoilreports.com, which is Polaris's Horizon site - proof that Cummins/Fleetguard's Monitor service is Polaris's Horizon system/service with a different "skin" on it ("rebadged", so to speak).

'96 2500 club-cab, long bed, 2WD - Dipricol trans/boost/pyro gauges, ISSPRO fuel pressure gauge, +2qt Chrysler trans pan, Sport headlight retrofit & suvlights conversion harness, fuel heater deleted, KDP tabbed, Raybestos WC37290 (1-1/16") wheel cylinders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in