p7100 pump disassembly / rebuild - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
p7100 pump disassembly / rebuild

All rightly, who has taken apart a p7100 pump?
I've got mine all stripped down for the most part but im stuck at the camshaft. I have the parts diagram but it doesn't exactly show how the governor spring assembly piece comes off the cam. I know it threads on the camshaft but i cant seem to get it off. Do i need to double up the nut on the other side so i can get a good torque on it? Am i missing something? I know if i get that off then you remove the snap ring and the cam should come out. Any help is greatly appreciated. And please don't say take it to a shop

PROJECT CHICKENCUM
= 1968 Pontiac Firebird (chicken) with 12 Valve Cummins (cum)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Enough Said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Diesel Head

short of buying the proper tools (IF you can find them) you could probably make a socket to pull the gov assy from the cam.

Then once your that far, your still FK'd as far as getting the cam out of the pump body without the proper spring compressors. The cam DOES NOT just slide out! Note the 6 small brass plugs on the side of the pump, these are the holes in which the spring compressors go into, which of course compresses the lifter springs and allows you to pull the cam out.

2015 3500 laramie dually. 6.7, aisin, 4.10s, bone stock... (for now
)
2014 forest river XLR 395amp, 42.5ft of truck killing, wind catching, toy and booze hauling, fun...

Last edited by ykdave; 01-22-2010 at 08:45 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

yea i made me a tool for the gov assem to pull that off but it doesnt seem to want to budge. Ill get it. I got all my tools from Rocken Tech - they ROCK!
Ahhh its called a flyweight - I knew that Must be more of that F'in locktight.

PROJECT CHICKENCUM

Enough Said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Cummins Fanatic

The flyweight assembly is a tapered shaft fit with no keyway. Remove the slotted nut and you can pull the weights off by hand. You will need a special puller to remove rest of the assembly from the camshaft. You will need special tools to lift the tappet assemblies and unload the camshaft before removal. And this is all just for starters.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

OK so after you pull the barrels out the plungers stay in there, how do you get the plugers out? looks like they are just sitting in the control sleeves which is attached to the rack. but i don't see how they are attached.
Also here are some great pics if anyone wants them.

PROJECT CHICKENCUM

Enough Said

Last edited by ChickenCum; 02-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Cummins Fanatic

You have to remove the camshaft & lifters to remove the plungers. Keep all parts together and sorted so they go back into the same holes- including the timing shims.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Cummins Nut

just wondering how you made out Chickencum?

Preboost screw bottomed out, gutted afc. Custom plastic bag over airfilter, No gauges. Delivery valves removed, 9.5 X 23.25 injectors, Turbo removed. silencer ring port and polished to stage 1.5
she roals the coal... and a tire on fire in the bed.
B O T T S R . COM
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Very good. Definitely helps to have the right tools and just make sure you keep everything in order of where it all goes. It's a little tricky holding up all the lifters in order to pull the cam. Other than that its just like building a mini engine.

PROJECT CHICKENCUM

Enough Said
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Are you able to purchase the parts like the plungers and barrels to do a complete diy rebuild??
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Diesel Freak

once you get it rebuilt, are you sending it to a shop to have them put it on a test bench to have it calibrated? or do you have one of those expensive pieces in your shop at home?

Brent1985 GMC (The Brown Streak) Sierra Classic 1500 4WD With 6.2L V8 Turbo Diesel Big Fuel System
1995 Dodge 2500 4x4 NV4500 12 Valve Cummins No Plate, Gauges, 5" Homemade Stacks.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Cummins Nut

I ask, since I have an old one sitting on the bench at home, was gona take her apart, all new seals and orings, that kit is like 50 bucks off ebay. And if it does need anything major I will pick that up, as long as it is cost efective. Slap her all back together, and then take it in to get adjusted, at 120 labor, talked to the guy that works on them at one place and says 2hr max on test bench. then I will have a benched pump sitting waiting for me to use.

Preboost screw bottomed out, gutted afc. Custom plastic bag over airfilter, No gauges. Delivery valves removed, 9.5 X 23.25 injectors, Turbo removed. silencer ring port and polished to stage 1.5
she roals the coal... and a tire on fire in the bed.
B O T T S R . COM
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Diesel Freak

chicken cum..also the white part of the egg. just something to think about next time you don't have scrambled...

rande

1996 2500 clb cab long bed auto, stock airbox with stock filter, no fuel plate, tranny holding fine. Recon L E D taillights an 3rd brake light. isspro gauges, boost, pyro, trans temp, AND MBRP 4inch exhaust, no tip.
The Following User Says Thank You to randemelissa For This Useful Post:
DodgeMech (05-23-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in