Stumbled on a 12v, need some suggestions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Stumbled on a 12v, need some suggestions

Hey all,

I bought my 2016 Ram 2500 CTD with the intention of using it as a plow truck and tow rig. While shopping around comparing new vs used snow plows, I think I may have stumbled on a pretty decent deal.

The truck is a 95 RCLB 12v Auto, 4x4 with a 9ft Fisher straight blade plow. Truck has just over 200k on it and has a pretty clean body minus a rust hole in the floor. Rest of the body and frame looks pretty good minus some light rust over the rear wheel well and even that isn't bad at all.

After talking with the owner it sounds pretty solid. Runs, drives, stops, plows. Has all New front end in it, the engine is 100% stock. Still has original injectors (figure it's good they haven't been changed to something larger, but probably ready to be changed to new ones). The truck needs some pretty minor stuff for 200k miles in my opinion.

Here's the kicker, the guy only wants $2500 for the truck and plow.

My question to you guys is what do I need to look for? This truck is 3hrs away from me or I would've gone to look at it already. I've read a few threads on here already. I know about the KDP and that the autos aren't the greatest transmission out there. Im not looking for a foundation for a power build. Only thing I'd do is maybe change the exhaust but that's just because my 16 is just too quiet.

I really don't want to have 2 trucks in my driveway, but for the price I'm really considering it. I need a truck that can sit when it doesn't snow and then reliably start and drive to work, sit at work all day, and then drive home and plow at night. I don't plow commercially, just income properties and some friends and families. I've always liked the 2nd Gen trucks and if you guys think that this 12v would fit that bill I'd definitely consider it.

For $2500 it's a lot less than what I was going to spend on the V Plow for my 16. I wouldn't mind pounding on a truck that cheap and in all reality I could probably make most of the cost of the truck back this winter season.

Anything you guys can suggest would be much appreciated.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L CTD 4x4 Outdoorsman. 18in Dropstar 645B -12 wrapped in 35x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers "SAP Clone". EFI Live by Anarchy, 5in Flo Pro TBE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Just throw a plow on your new truck. If your going to have an old truck sitting for all summer for a plow truck it going to go to hell and have nothing but problems.

Old trucks need a lot of tinkering.

Also beware of used plows, buying a plow for few thousand dollars used may seem like a good idea. Buying a new truck side mount and harness may cost another Grand.

I prefer a Fisher plows and straight blades for their simplicity and ease of operation.

Daily driver/ workhorse: 1994 2500SLT 4x4 Auto. Hewitt EGT, Boost, Trans gauges, Under hood Mech FP gauge, Trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, Mag-Hytec DD Transmission Pan, Ford manual hub conversion, Diamond eye 4" turbo back, 37337 Upgrade. 260K

98 2500slt 4x4 ECLB moldy G56, south bend clutch 3rd gen trac bar , boxed control arms, billet tappet cover w/ dual breathers trident fuel lines, Tork Tek OFV, 4' stainless side dump with muffler 240k
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
I would say buy it!
And there's nothing wrong with the stock injectors they'll last a lot longer than 200k
You can do some slight pump tweaking with the fuel plate and advance the timing a bit if you wanted more power but that seams like a heck of a deal escpecially for an all stock 12v
They're the most reliable engines out there

And yes those trans aren't all that great at all I've got a 94 12v and the trans is out in it and it's the 2nd one it's had in it and it's only at 197k miles
But if the owner of it takes good care of the truck and doesn't abuse it then you should be fine
Which from the sounds of it it sounds to be in good shape

Just make sure there's no blow by and you should be good
But if your sceptical about driving 3 hours to a failed deal you could always get acouple good videos of it running

09 2500 4x4 6 speed 8" lift 24x16 fuel Forged on 37s 5" exhaust Smarty Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Thanks for the input so far it's appreciated. Would love to hear some more opinions. I've never plowed before so it'd be nice to beat up an older truck to learn on rather than beat up my 2016.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L CTD 4x4 Outdoorsman. 18in Dropstar 645B -12 wrapped in 35x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers "SAP Clone". EFI Live by Anarchy, 5in Flo Pro TBE.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Diesel Freak

Do you ever need a truck for doing other stuff? Hauling wood? Trash? If the Drive train is solid and was properly maintained and repaired, it might be a great truck to have around. Plowing is tough on trucks. The 47RH/RE is a good trans if it just has a shift kit and working electronics.

Like was mentioned, the older trucks often require tinkering and have plenty of quirks. Do you have the time/space/desire to work on an old truck? I love my old 12-valvers. They are about as reliable as it gets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode